SGTCap's 2005 Tacoma build

SGTCap

Adventurer
First, forgive me. I tend to be a bit long winded. But this is for me as much as anyone else, so please excuse my ramblings. I might want to look back on this one day.

I picked this truck up in 2006, a year old with 60k miles already on the odometer. I'd been playing around in the import/sport compact world for a few years and after a modded Integra GSR and RX8 I thought it was time to return to my Texas upbringing and buy my first 4WD pickup. The Tacoma was an easy choice and I found this one on the lot of a local dealer for about $25k. It had every option I wanted including the locking rear Diff. I would have prefered an automatic, but at that point point I'd been driving manuals for at least 5 years, so I figured I could stick with. I swore at the time that I wasn't going to mod this truck. I'd dumped tons of money and time into previous vehicles and this time I was just going to leave it alone and drive it.

Between then and now I pretty much kept that promise to myself. I'm about to turn 200k miles and the truck is pretty much stock. It's been a wonderful vehicle and if I had to buy another truck tomorrow it would be a Tacoma just like it (except an automatic). It's been paid off for over a year now. I had it in the shop once while under warrenty for a faulty evap purge valve. Other than that it's required nothing but oil changes and a set of front brake pads at about 150k. I just replaced the spartk plugs for the first time about a month ago. The gap had erroded from the factory .044" to .085" and was still running great.

I'm on my third set of 255/85r16s which I have been running with very little rubbing issues.

Now it's time to begin a new chapter in my Tacoma's life. My girlfriend and I wasnt to get more active in outdoor activities and as luck would have it, it is a wonderful platform to facilitate that.

STARTING POINT:

First step was a test run to see how it performed in stock form. I met up with several guys from the Southern section of this board about a month ago to test the truck out. I learned a lot about what it was capable of and what needed to be changed. Those issues and obsevations I will include here, as a guide to myself and other new guys just getting into this sort of thing.

Pics from that outting:

Mines the little Gold Tacoma. This picture is giving me an inferiority complex, I gotta get a lift

Leasons learned:
My headights suck and need replacement and upgrading. The drive up was a little nerve racking due to crappy visability caused by the worn headlight lenses. See:

Also:
-I need a cb or other comms. I had no way to comunicate on the trail other than my horn. I didn't try morse code via the horn, I doubt it woulda gone over well.
-My suspenion doesn't flex. Partially due to the original design and parts, partially because those parts have 200k miles on them
-I need to have a sepeate key ring for my truck key. Listening to the key chain smake into the stearing column for hours while beating down a trail can annoy the hell out of a person.
-my 5 gallon water can leaks, I need an onboard water storage solution
-I need some form of nvaigation for when my phone has no signal
-I need an air supply to air up and down my tires to smooth out the ride.
-I need additional storage space and orginization. The tool box is full and everything else can quickly become a mess without a well planned storage solution
-The exhaust crossover under my T-case is the lowest part of the truck and needs rerouting. This was a stupid design by Toyota, but they did a lot of other things right on these trucks, so I forgive them

There's more, but this is a good start. Overall I was impresed by what a stock Tacoma with 200k miles could accomplish.

So onto the begining of the build:

SGTCap

Adventurer
The build:

I've spent the past month order parts as I can afford them and planning. So far I've ordered

OME 886 coild and struts for the front. I'm planning on a winch and bumper as phase 2 of this project
All-Pro Expedition leaf pack, shocks, u-bolt flip kit and longer brake lines in the rear, to support a cap and drawer system
LT UCA's to correct the front alignment post lift.

I found a utility cap for $250 on Craigslist a couple months ago:

I'm in the process of sanding it to paint. The cap will get a coat of black bedliner as well as parts of the truck to tie it all together.

This weekend saw the beginging of the drawer system build. Stand by for pics and an explanation. My work day is drawing to an end. I'll continue tomorrow :wings:

beavis0076

just get a kit to buff your headlights. eazy peazy.
billie 5100's will give you a little lift in the front, and add an add a leaf in the rear for a quick, cheap, and effictive lift.
you can download apps on your phone so your navication still works with no cell signal.

*edit*.. ooo I see I spoke too soon.. your already on it. :) ill shut up and watch the build.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Please feel free to comment. I took your advice and rubbed the headlights down with some new finish tonight. It helped a lot. The lenses are cracked, so replacement is neccissary soon, but this will help in the mean time. Pics will be posted tomorrow.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Sanding on the cap has begun. I need to was it off and then go over everything again. I chose Raptor liner to coat it with. The price isn't bad (about $120/gallon) and it's supposedly very DIY friendly. I ordered two gallons, one for the cap and one for the drawer system/sleeping platform I'm working on. I'm thinking of painting the wheels, roof between the drip rail and the center of the hood to kinda tie it all together. I'm not sure how it'll look so I may try plastidip first. If it looks like crap, I can peel it off.

Anyhow, current state of sanding and prep on the cap:

New Finished on headlight in this pic. Seems to have helped. I did the other after dark last night so no pics.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Drawer/sleeping platform

So the plan is have a drawer and sleeping platform in the bed. I don't know how much sleeping will actually happen back there, I'm 6'3, but at least I want it flat so I can put other stuff back there. I wanted two drawers with storage on either side and a trunk/cabinet in the rear to hold a second battery and whatever else I feel like putting back there.

I don't own a table saw so I had what I thought was a genious idea. I planned out the structure and measurements on paper, figured out what cuts needed to be made on the plywood and took my entire schematic to Home Depot to get the lumber and have it cut. I was fortunate enough to find a guy working there that could actually cut to within 1/8" of my measurements. So after about an hour and a couple hundred bucks I went from
This:

to this:

SGTCap

Adventurer
I headed over to my girlfriends parents house to borrow a router and her dad happened to be in the driveway with the table saw setup and a dado head cutter in his hands. By the end of the weekend I had this:

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Form...t=3&o=14&_suid=138392847013305658427487964152

And that's pretty much where I am on the build at this point. I'm planning to make some tie down brackets this weekend to mount the box using the bed mounting bolts (if I can get those big torx head bolts loose. After that I will start working on the rest of the platform. I'll post pics of the progress as I go. I'm having to modify the design a bit as I go. As with anything, the the way I thought it would fit and work is slightly different then whats actually taking place as I build it.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Looking great! I love catching these builds early and following along with the progress. Very clean looking drawer setup.

SGTCap

Adventurer
Got my drawer system almost completed this weekend. Still have a little fine tuning to do. THe DIY bedline kit is on it's way. Weather and girlfriend permiting, I hope to have it done this weekend. I didn't have a table saw available this weekend so I hade to redneck this a bit. Clamps and a tailgate FTMFW:

SGTCap

Adventurer
Well my lift springs from Allpro still aren't in but the Raptor liner is. I got it sprayed this weekend. Overall I like the product, but the gun they sent with it is CRAP. I couldn't get a decent spray patern with it and in haste, I sprayed everything anyhow. I got a little tiger striping due to it. It's actually worse in photographs, but still annoys me. I'm not sure that it bothers me enough to order more liner and a better gun and try again though. I'll probably let it ride for now.

My next project is figuring out how to ventilate the cap. It's going to get unforgivably hot and muggy in there in out low country summers. I've got a couple ideas but I'd like to hear some other peoples input before I share them. Any ideas?

juicebox

Adventurer
IMG_20131107_170056_970_zps68293e48.jpg
[/URL]

Did you wet sand your headlights before you polished them? If not, try something like 2000 grit, then 2500 grit, then polish 2 or 3 times. I've done it to 3 of my cars and it has worked well for me.

SGTCap

Adventurer
No I didn't. They are both cracked from hitting suicidal birds. I'll be replacing them shortly. I think I have some 2000grit in the garage though. I'll give it a try in the mean time.

J

JWP58

Digging that topper. I want one soooooo bad. Very nice cargo drawers too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior