Some general questions about running roof top accessories

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
OK, so mounted to my roof rack, I have 5 Hella Ralleye 4000 driving lights, plus 2 smaller Hella lights on the back of the rack, plus my CB antenna.

Here are my questions:

1) Can I combine the hot wire for ALL 5 front lights into one single wire, plus one single ground, and likewise, one single hotwire and one ground for the reverse lights? Or is this ill advised? If I can do this, do I need to up the gauge of the wire to accommodate the extra juice flowing through? My plan would be to run the wires through a 3 or 4 pole plug and socket into the cab area of the vehicle.

2) What is the best, cleanest way to pass your wires through your sheet metal on the roof? I don't simply want to drill a hole and jam wires through it. What I want is a plug and socket on the roof, so the lights and roof rack can be removed cleanly without wires hanging through the roof. I have been looking at many options, and so far I have found some nice plugs and sockets made my various companies, but I want to know what folks have done out there.

If anyone has any good ideas with photos, please post them up.

Thanks- Bart

highdesertranger

Adventurer
what wattage are those lights? I like to keep it to 2, 100 watt lights per circuit and use 12 gauge wire. however I have done some set ups with a relay box on the roof. this set up would allow to have 1 switch turn on all five lights. size the wire according to the amp draw. I like the marine clam shells for the pass through, never had one leak. you could leave a short pig tail after the clam shell and put waterproof connectors on it. I have not found a good waterproof panel connector maybe someone here knows of one. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94