Help me decide - GM fullsize or Toyota?

tip

Adventurer
Hey guys, so I was hoping for some opinions. I am in the market again for a truck after having to sell my '95 Powerstroke a little over a year ago. I have never owned a Toyota, but after researching it looks like a 22RE with 33's can get 18++ mpg all around. This truck will not be my DD, but I do make a lot of 400+ mile weekend trips across the state during the winter for waterfowl. Budget is ~$5000 for now.

My needs:

-Reliable
-pickup bed
-fuel injected
-strong aftermarket
-hold my RTT
-tow 16 foot boat

So, will I regret a Toyota after having owned only fullsize?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You might want to borrow a small truck if you can, to see if you can live with it. They're definitely small on the inside.

A 22RE on 33's is going to be pretty anemic, too. As long as you aren't in a hurry, that's fine. I would definitely get a manual, though, as the combo of a 22RE and a slushbox will make it feel really underpowered.

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm not sure exactly how much a 16 foot boat weighs, but the 22RE powered trucks I've been in had a good time geting moving on their own, let alone towing a few thousand lbs.

You could easily get into an early model tacoma or T100 for $5k, the 3.4 liter V6 would handle the 33's and weight of the boat better, in my opinion.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I would do full-size chevy. I think you will be surprised to learn that the toyota's don't get that much better mileage.

My FIL had a '89 Toyota 22re, 5spd, regular cab, 4x4 on stock size tires and stock everything else and with him driving it (65 mph tops, usually slower) it would get 22-23 mpg hwy, but as others have mentioned, sloooowwww. Start adding anything to them and expect the mileage to start tanking. I had a '88 4runner, 5spd with the 3.0 and stock it only pulled 18 mpg and 15 mpg after SAS, 35's.
My '02 Tacoma, extra cab, TRD, 5spd would get 19 mpg, pretty much regardless of how you drove it, but that was stock as well, sold it before doing anything to it.
My biggest complaint was comfort (besides lack of power). None of the mini Toyotas were comfortable for me. I'm only 5'9" and weigh 160lbs, so I'm not exactly huge.

The Chevy is super easy to fix with parts available wherever you go. There are plenty of tbi and vortec (5.7) trucks out there with over 200k trouble free miles. The '99 and newer are better, but it's hard depending on where you are to get one for $5k. I've had a '99 1/2 ton (18-19 mpg hwy) and now an '07 2500hd and you can't beat the seats in a chevy for all day comfort

Best advise would be to go drive a couple of each and see which one work for you.

Jack

Dazrin

Adventurer
If you are limiting yourself to a 22RE, I would go with a full size Chevy. I really liked my 98 and still miss it to a degree. Mileage won't be as good (~12/16) but the power would be better for anything involving towing. Plus it will be more comfortable if you are larger.

/Had a 2-door Tahoe. Miss the power and extra leg room in front and back compared to my 93 LC.
//Like 4 doors and solid axles w/ lockers of the LC.

fowldarr

Explorer
I'm a die hard toyota guy at this point. I have my personal reasons for the opinion, so my recommendation would be to look for teh T-100, or tacoma. Can be had for your price range. The parts are available, they are a little more expensive, but in my experience aren't needed as often.

Ultimately, you will get different opinions, but find what works for you. Drive both, see what works.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I would do full-size chevy. I think you will be surprised to learn that the toyota's don't get that much better mileage.

My FIL had a '89 Toyota 22re, 5spd, regular cab, 4x4 on stock size tires and stock everything else and with him driving it (65 mph tops, usually slower) it would get 22-23 mpg hwy, but as others have mentioned, sloooowwww. Start adding anything to them and expect the mileage to start tanking. I had a '88 4runner, 5spd with the 3.0 and stock it only pulled 18 mpg and 15 mpg after SAS, 35's.
My '02 Tacoma, extra cab, TRD, 5spd would get 19 mpg, pretty much regardless of how you drove it, but that was stock as well, sold it before doing anything to it.
My biggest complaint was comfort (besides lack of power). None of the mini Toyotas were comfortable for me. I'm only 5'9" and weigh 160lbs, so I'm not exactly huge.

The Chevy is super easy to fix with parts available wherever you go. There are plenty of tbi and vortec (5.7) trucks out there with over 200k trouble free miles. The '99 and newer are better, but it's hard depending on where you are to get one for $5k. I've had a '99 1/2 ton (18-19 mpg hwy) and now an '07 2500hd and you can't beat the seats in a chevy for all day comfort

Best advise would be to go drive a couple of each and see which one work for you.

Jack

I'm 6'4 210 pounds and I drove a single cab tacoma for 2 years with no complaints.

SC T100

Adventurer
I would look for a nice T100.

I second this motion. Not much aftermarket support, but if you're just going to use it as a truck you don't really need anything. I get up to 19/20 mpgs on long trips under 65mph (tanks to 15-16 of over 75 mph), it's 4WD and a bit over-tired from stock with 31s on it (originals were 235/75R15). Same size bed and cabin (for the most part) as a first gen Tundra, roomy cabin with the Xtra cab, reliable 3.4 V6, relatively simple and easy to work on. Tows pretty well too. If you don't care about 4WD, the 2WD T100s with the 3.4 tow even better (sit lower) and get a little better mileage. They are basically XL/Tundra-sized Toyota pickups with Tacoma/Tundra running gear. Pretty good combo if you ask me...but you know, I'm pretty biased towards this model.

tip

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses. I didn't even think of a T100, almost forgot they existed! I'll have to do some research on the 3.4 V6... I'm completely foreign to Toyota, but know I want to stay away from the 3.0.

I was a bit concerned with the Toyota pickups and leg room... I'm around 6'1" so not huge but I like to stretch out. My old '99 Tahoe was like driving while sitting on a couch...

plumber mike

Adventurer
Another vote for chevy. After riding down the road on a couch the yota ( new tundras excluded) feel like a sardine can. Knowing the mileage is about the same will make you wonder why you didn't get the bigger, more comfortable one that has cheaper replacement parts and better aftermarket support. Just my opinion after trying out both.

aardvarcus

Adventurer
My advice- look and see what is available around you, test drive them, and then decide based on what you like, price, mileage, and condition. I own and like both Toyota and Chevy products. The MPG isn't going to be astronomically different between the two, comparing apples to apples (S10 vs Tacoma, V6 1500 vs T100). Obviously the midsize gets better than the full size.

Based on my experience and in broad generalizations for identical age, mileage, and condition, I have found that Toyotas are more reliable, but that is factored into the price you will pay on a used one. Chevy's are decently reliable and usually less expensive up front. If the previous owner didn't take care of them though, either one could be complete junk. Don't get caught up in brand X vs brand Y, find the vehicle that has the attributes you want that is in good shape and don't look back.

watrboy

Observer
My advice- look and see what is available around you, test drive them, and then decide based on what you like, price, mileage, and condition. I own and like both Toyota and Chevy products. The MPG isn't going to be astronomically different between the two, comparing apples to apples (S10 vs Tacoma, V6 1500 vs T100). Obviously the midsize gets better than the full size.

Based on my experience and in broad generalizations for identical age, mileage, and condition, I have found that Toyotas are more reliable, but that is factored into the price you will pay on a used one. Chevy’s are decently reliable and usually less expensive up front. If the previous owner didn’t take care of them though, either one could be complete junk. Don’t get caught up in brand X vs brand Y, find the vehicle that has the attributes you want that is in good shape and don’t look back.

+1, it all boils down to the maintenance on a $5K rig. My son bought a Tacoma for around that price and it was not very reliable.
I have run Chevy's (Close to 30 of them now) since the early 90's and run them consistently to 200,000. This is fleet service, drivers who drive and don't own. We are meticulous with the maintenance schedule. If the book says change the fluid at 30K, we change the fluid. I learned this from reading Mercedes and BMW manuals. Change the diff, transfer case, antifreeze, etc. by the book. I have people calling for our used pickups, even with 200K on them, and they are still running around town with 250K and 300K.
What i am saying is search for the properly maintained vehicle that fits, don't limit yourself to the brand.

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I have driven both on highways. I prefer the Chevy/GMC. The Toyotas have always felt cheap to me. Lots of loose plastic pieces and not alot of strength. I personally do not like the way they feel on the highway .. and after 200K miles, it feels cheaper. With the Chevy/GMC, I have always felt it to feel more like a truck. My current 04 has 170K on it and it still feels strong and reliable. Also, as already stated, riding down the road in a GMC/Chevy, is comfortable.

watrboy

Observer
I have driven both on highways. I prefer the Chevy/GMC. The Toyotas have always felt cheap to me. Lots of loose plastic pieces and not alot of strength. I personally do not like the way they feel on the highway .. and after 200K miles, it feels cheaper. With the Chevy/GMC, I have always felt it to feel more like a truck. My current 04 has 170K on it and it still feels strong and reliable. Also, as already stated, riding down the road in a GMC/Chevy, is comfortable.

+1, also easier to get worked on in my neck of the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles