PSA: good deal on Engo E9000 winch w/ synthetic line

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Is the Engo E9000 made in China?
At that price point, I find it hard to believe that it's made in the States or Europe.
You get what you pay for...
Good Luck

slp82

Hey, I know this an old thread but I thought I would give a long term review of the Engo E9000 and the Engo E12000 model. First let me say, offroading is my main hobby. I bought an Engo E9000 winch about 3 years ago for my 2006 toyota tundra (1st gen) and after using it many times even started a part time offroad recovery business. I have pulled out over 50 vehicles with this winch, including probably 35% of them being 3/4 ton diesels with lifts. I live in Texas and a lot of guys wheel diesels here. Not the smartest thing. But this engo winch with a snatch block has never let me down. I have more than got my money's worth. I liked it so much that I bought the 12,000 lb version from engo for my 2008 toyota tundra 4x4 double cab with 4" lift and 35s. It has the 5.7L and is the 2nd Gen body style tundra, much bigger and heavier. The engo e12000 has also never given me a problem either and I have used it probably 12 times. But my engo e9000 on my other truck has been tested and maxed out time and time again! Now just here recently, I had a solenoid go out after 3 years. After a little research I found out the tmax brand winches use the same solenoid as engo. So I bought a tmax solenoid for $19 off Amazon shipped. Same part number on parts. Now the winch is back to new. Also I have had this winch completely submerged under water multiple times. This truck is not a "street queen". I have rolled it once and take it offroad every weekend. All I do for maintenance on the winch is hose it off with pressure sprayer from car wash. Thats it. Oh and I pulled out a toyota fj cruiser that was stuck very bad after his buddy with a wrangler broke his NEW 10,000 lb warn winch trying to pull the fj cruiser out. He told me no way 9,000 engo would do it... and it did. He said he was buying an engo after that. But to be honest, I think he was not as experienced with a winch as me because the fj cruiser had suction on it from the mud and I would winch some, tighten the load, then let it rest and slowly break suction, then winch some more. I have a feeling the guy with the warn just tried to keep pulling. Regardless his warn broke. I've overloaded my engo many times on diesels and it just stops, never breaks. So there is a 3 yr review on a engo e9000 and a 2yr review on an engo e12000. Both are great winches and I have recommended them to many people. Also the newer models of engo as of 2015 now come with a single breaker switch rather than the multiple solenoid setup. If you have an older engo winch, you can call engo and they will ship you out a whole new control box and wiring for $50, which will replace the old solenoid setup. Oh and if you research it, engo uses series wound motors just like warn, not cheaper permanent magnet like some cheaper brands. The reason they are cheaper is because they were engineered here in the United states but they contracted a Chinese company to build the winches to their specifications and they are strict on ensuring the quality stays consistent. I did a lot of research on them before purchasing their winch. Also not sure if it matters, but the owners are the sons of the guy who owned mile Marler winches, so their family has been building winches for multiple generations.

Dalko43

Explorer
Great review!

Between the feedback I'm seeing here and reviews on other sites, I'm thinking an Engo 9000-s would suit me just fine in my 4runner.

I see 9000lbs as the sweet spot for 4runners and similarly-sized SUV's/pickup's, but oddly enough, I don't find many winches with that rating. It's either 8000lbs or 9,500lbs.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
My Engo has been awesome. We did a trail run a few months back where I had to set up to winch six consecutive vehicles past an obstacle, after winching myself past it. My Engo 10K performed flawlessly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles