Land Rover Dealers

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Are Land Rover dealers typically bustling hubs for overlanding enthusiasts, or are they normal car dealers under a glamorous, expeditionary facade?

Scott Brady

Founder
cshontz said:
Are Land Rover dealers typically bustling hubs for overlanding enthusiasts, or are they normal car dealers under a glamorous, expeditionary facade?

It depends on the dealership, from my experience. Several specialize in used defenders and kitted trucks, some specialize is Range Rovers with big wheels and ground effects.

The great thing about the Rover dealerships is that they conduct "wheels" events at least four times per year. Wheels events are dealer led trails runs, and are really a good time.

Land Rover also sponsors drivers training days. I have been an instructor for several of those in the AZ area.

TeriAnn

Explorer
cshontz said:

My take is that they are in the business of selling new vehicles using the methods and materials sent down from Land Rover North America. Each dealer has their own personal spin and a certain amount of leeway for localization but they follow the party line as they are told to do by their management and follow the marketing instructions that they are provided with.

Its what all good employees who like the idea of keeping a roof over their head do. BMW management then Ford Management wanted to sell high profit luxury SUVs. Most could care less about overlanding enthusiasts unless said enthusiast wanted to plunk $$$ down for a new fully equipped Range Rover Sport. Their primary focus is well to do folks regardless of any pursuits they might have.

I suspect Tata might take a wider market approach and expand the range available in the US to include Defenders or Defender like vehicle, but only time will tell. If they do then the dealers will be enthusiastic about overlanding enthusiasts who have money to buy new vehicles for overlanding.

It varies by dealer but in the end they are all employees who are given work goals and strategies on how to accomplish those goals and they get graded on how well they follow management's orders just like anyone else. The bottom line goal is to sell new vehicles using whatever methods that management says to use.

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, Scott and TeriAnn. I've passed the local dealer on numerous occasions, and their lot is always filled with really nice looking Series, Defenders, and FC's. It has always made me curious, but I've never paid them a visit. I was just sitting here wondering if it'd be worthwhile, or if it'd just be the same sales-oriented rigamarole.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Chris,

I believe like Mr. Brady stated it depends on the dealer and who they are trying to appeal to. I would venture to say that since you are seeing the Series and FC's... it is a place where you can go just hang out and not get hassled.

Just my experience.

Dealerships:
Chattanooga,TN
Denver,CO
Tucson,AZ

Take your camera with you.

:costumed-smiley-007

LRNA came to town four or five years ago - okay, the franchisee came to town - and build a nice, smallish Centre and held decent enough "wheels" events.

It was commonly owned with the neighboring MB / BMW dealership. All were sold to one of the big car dealer conglomerates that seem to be growing, and they immediately gave up the LR dealership.

We were totally without local representation for six or eight months until the dealer across the street was allowed to sneak the LR's in the same building with the Jags and Volvos.

They're really only interested in selling shiney new cars ... you can hardly blame them, after all, they're a car dealership not an expedition outfitter. Oh, and we're in Iowa after all.

Chucaro

Adventurer
It is interesting the difference in marketing approach between USA and Australia.
Here the norm is: if you are after a used LR go to an independent Land Rover dealer. The friendly attention and knowledge of the product is generally excellent.
The dealers of the new vehicles are pathetic and they are not only selling Land Rovers so the knowledge of the product is not as good.
In a recently 4WD show here in OZ the presentation of the new Defender was terrible and generated a lot of comments in the forums about the behavior of the representatives at the show.
I always purchasing my accessories or components from independent suppliers here and overseas.
You never know one day maybe Keith start selling Expedition Vehicles and you people are going to be well served and Keith start a trend in USA :jumping:
Just wonder if Keith is happy with my idea or he rather be traveling ?

viatierra

Explorer
At the two Dealerships here in Phoenix there are 1 maybe 2 guys who are enthusiasts themselves. That guy is who you want to talk to. Just walk in and ask for someone who drives a LR and actually puts it on the trail. That will freak 'em out! Again in Phoenix, these guys must be doing well because there has been little turnover. Many of the faces are the same after 7+ years! When I stop by, they humor me and seem to enjoy hearing my stories. Most of them certainly are there to simply sell and collect a check.

azarmadillo

Adventurer
viatierra said:
At the two Dealerships here in Phoenix there are 1 maybe 2 guys who are enthusiasts themselves. That guy is who you want to talk to. Just walk in and ask for someone who drives a LR and actually puts it on the trail. That will freak 'em out! Again in Phoenix, these guys must be doing well because there has been little turnover. Many of the faces are the same after 7+ years! When I stop by, they humor me and seem to enjoy hearing my stories. Most of them certainly are there to simply sell and collect a check.

Yup, I have to agree. Once in a while an expedition type Rover will show up. But that's about it. No one other than myself drives anything modified to work. And I'm only a contractor that's on site M-F, not even a dealership employee.

I can think of 3 people total at both Phoenix area dealerships that I'd consider enthusiasts. Great guys all of them.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
As you can imagine Land Rover dealers in Southern California are bustling hubs for suburbanites so its the expedtionary facade and not much else. Typically dealers are solely interested in pushing luxo-utes and rarely anything older than the 2004 DII. Older stuff is usually destined for the auctions and sled lots. There are a handful of enthusiasts that work at dealers and they are techs and service guys. Coincidentally the majority of the indie service shops down here are former dealer employees.

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
Hey Keith!!

Do you like Arthur's Idea?!?! I love it! We could have two Keith's and call it the the "Two K's Overland Centre"!

Unfortunatly I think we'd be broke in a matter of months.

LR Dealers commited to Outside activities? Probably not. It's a novel way to attract customers, get them to come look at something they did a long time ago. Everyone seems to have some tale of "The Trip" back when they where young and had fewer responsabilities. It's Nostalgic!

The masses in the States aren't really interested in true "vehicle dependant camping" let alone long treks through the middle of nowhere.

The vast number of campers in the states start with a tent and some bags, a Coleman stove and a cooler, from there they get kids, a camper van, or pickup camper happens or perhaps a pull behind Popup trailer. The kids get bigger and the camper become an RV, very limited to the terrain it can travel it ends up in "Campertown USA" one of the many electrified, showered, indoor plumbing and groomed places to camp for the weekend warrior. Okay so it become vehicle dependant but it's more like staying at an outdoor hotel than actual camping.
We're too busy, we have too many "irons in the fire" have too much "stuff" to pay for, have our kids involved in too many "keep them busy" activities. After all that we're too tired to go exploring. Take the RV.. Or better yet go hop on a plane to Florida, see amazing Man Made stuff, take too much time and effort to see Nature.
What is different here? I think it's the time we're allowed to "get out there" Getting "away" for a week is difficult for many folks here so most can't justify the masses of specialized equipment, the specialized vehicle or specialized knowledge of an overlander, that and many just don't have the patience or the attention span. You are more likely to see an '08 F350 towing a Double gooseneck trailer with Rock buggies, ATV's and Dirt bikes in the boonies so the owners can get that "quick fix" of off road entertainment over a weekend.
Wandering is something that unfortunately we've forgotten to do. My kids are just as guilty as anyone. What do they want to bring with them when we go on a trip? Every matter of electronic toy in their arsenal! It all ends up keeping their eye's inside the car, never looking out the window. I weaning them off it.. Electrickery is limited but they are allowed books to read, paper to draw on etc. Anything to make 'em smarter or make them look outside. It's working! Last trip what was the item that they fought over the most? The book with all the local maps in it! Hey if they fight over it, tear it to shreads I'll happily buy another! At least their attention span is getting longer and they're looking out the window, or exploring outside.

Sorry... Got into a rant

Erm? What was the question?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
The LR dealer here is ummmmm.. well IMO a joke. They are far from the questions asked and have horrible sevice. But it's okay there is a great group of people here that have a place Called Pikes Peak Rovers! They are incredible and are huge enthusist! If you are ever in Colorado Springs I would recomend just stoping by and saying hi!

TeriAnn

Explorer
cshontz said:
Thanks, Scott and TeriAnn. I've passed the local dealer on numerous occasions, and their lot is always filled with really nice looking Series, Defenders, and FC's. It has always made me curious

With that product mix you may have found a dealer that has enthusiast managers and are operating at the edge of corporate marketing guidelines. Most dealers I see have a lot full of LR2's, LR3's and Range Rovers and you almost never see a used Defender.

If they have a mix of real Land Rovers along with the urban Land Rovers it might be worth stopping by and kicking a few tyres.

Green96D1

Explorer
out here in the Bay Area. in the small town of Fremont there is a LR Dealer combined with Jags and Volvos. LR Fremont they have excellent service and are a sponsor for Northern California Land Rover Club. Bod Memebers can have meetings there and they also support NCLR in offroad activities.

plus they like seeing lifted Rovers. A Tall lifted dirty rover among clean shiny nice ones is priceless! I got a free service just because the Manager liked my D1 so much and I'm not the most modified Land Rover Yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles