Banks Diesel powertrain for Jeeps

mrchips

Adventurer
Specs look great, wonder what the price will work out to be. I would like more power for my LJ, thinking of their turbo, or a RIPP supercharger.

jpat30

Adventurer
Oooooooooooo, I want one bad. I just hope the price isn't so high that I would have to sell my jeep just to get into one.

vonguido

Adventurer
I hope this is something that can be dropped into the XJ! I've heard mixed reviews about banks products but hoping this isn't too outrageously priced

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
That is going to be expensive....also no mention of what is included from an emissions standpoint. It will need to meet EPA10 regulations so more than likely you will need a DPF and SCR/DEF system. I could see this easily being a $15,000+ option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Another big yawn for a diesel Jeep or diesel anything except a truck. In a light vehicle the power band is tiny, the throttle response is mush and cost to buy, maintain and fill the tank is higher than gas.
Proof that a factory diesel Jeep JK is a pipe dream is no further than the Power Wagon. Dodge had the best diesel truck engine and the most capable off-road truck, the Power Wagon. The reason they never put a diesel in it was warranty. A high torque diesel will break trannys, t-cases and axels as soon as the adverage consumer decides to play off road. Proof of that is no further than used car lots when you look at Ford Rapters. I challenge you to find them that are not bent. Look at the gap between the body and cab. They are bent. Look at all of the front end alignment bolts and you can tell the things were aligned multiple times because consumers beat them. The factory will pay dearly if a high torque diesel is put in a Jeep so they will never consider absorbing the warranty claims. This banks option for the decearning buyer that understands the pro and cons will fill a need. It's a 6 speed and will be a well sorted swap but it's still a diesel.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
Exciting news. I had seen a mention of this earlier this year as a side note in a release regarding their new 4.0 turbo but couldn't find anything else about it. From the specs and their recent product focus I would guess that this is positioned for the TJ, not that you couldn't put it in another platform.

While exciting, this still doesn't solve the major problem of a Jeep diesel conversion, ie regulations and emissions testing. But still good news. What we really need first is for Jeep to release a diesel wrangler, which should open the door to conversions due to a comparative platform.

haven

Expedition Leader
"Still doesn't solve the major problem of a Jeep diesel conversion, ie regulations and emissions testing."

Actually, the Banks website says the diesel swap will be 50 states legal. That's why Scootr29 suspects the swap will include modern emissions control equipment as part of the package. Definitely expensive.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
But that doesn't make sense to me. My understanding is that there are multiple "legal" diesel engines sold all of the time that are 50 state SMOG legal, but I can't put them in my Jeep because the EPA or whomever says that I can't put a diesel in a vehicle that doesn't offer one as a commercial option in the same platform in the US market.

Or am I mistaken or missing something?

dddonkey

Adventurer
I like it but it will be pricey, when I needed a new engine in my truck Banks started to sell crate Duramaxs. The price was like 18K plus install, the dealer was 12K installed and I found a new GM crate engine from a third party company that was around 8K installed. Banks makes nice stuff but you pay for it like it is gold.

cwsqbm

Explorer
But that doesn't make sense to me. My understanding is that there are multiple "legal" diesel engines sold all of the time that are 50 state SMOG legal, but I can't put them in my Jeep because the EPA or whomever says that I can't put a diesel in a vehicle that doesn't offer one as a commercial option in the same platform in the US market.

Or am I mistaken or missing something?

You can put one in a vehicle as long as the engine comes from a comparable platform and is the same age or newer. The engine that Banks is talking about is the engine that's optional in the 2014 Grand Cherokee. Legally, its not any different than dropping a new Hemi in a JK.

The price is what will kill this from being popular. In a new Grand Cherokee, the diesel costs far more than a Hemi. That difference would be marked up in the aftermarket, since an aftermarket install doesn't help Jeep's CAFE rating. I'd expect the kit to cost around $25k, not counting the installation! If you think I'm high, go look at what Burnsville or AEV charges for a Hemi install.

This really needs to be a factory option, where it'd cost a more reasonable $4~$5k. The problem, besides Chrysler saying this engine won't fit in a JK, is that the take rate might not be high enough to justify the cost to Chrysler. Modern gas engines get good highway gas mileage already - the difference between the 3.6 and diesel in the Grand Cherokee isn't that great in EPA terms - without having to worry about DEF regenerations and freezing DPF.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Another big yawn for a diesel Jeep or diesel anything except a truck. In a light vehicle the power band is tiny, the throttle response is mush and cost to buy, maintain and fill the tank is higher than gas.

Guess that depends on where you live. Gas costs more up here. Not that you'd ever get a ROI on just the gas alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online