Unimog 406 Expedition Camper

maxxmaven

Hello All,

I'm with Jonesy's and Jonesy's Offroad, most of my time is spent on ih8mud discussing Land Cruisers, diesel conversions and our current builds. Long time Unimog fan too, we just acquired a Unimog 406 from a long time owner with lots of history. Used for wildland fire fighting by its previous owner to protect 1000 acres of private land, the vehicle was well outfitted approx 9 years ago by myself and maintained with limited use thereafter. A combination of things lead to the selling of the Mog, local firefighting resources have improved and the owners are getting older, while the Unimog just gets bigger and taller with each passing year. The fire fighting apparatus was removed and transferred to a flat bed dodge ram diesel and the Unimog transported to our Ridgefield WA USA location.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JonesysAutoClub

Unimog 406 Expedition Camper Project Goals:
  • Maintain the short wheel base and low center of gravity COG
  • Utilized a pop top and or slide outs to greatly increase space
  • Design primarily for a couple, room for one or two others maybe
  • Include creature comforts for long tern travel; sinks, fridge, counter tops, dinette, toilet etc
  • Extra storage, water storage, etc
  • Durable, tree proof camper shell/ skeleton etc
  • LED lighting inside and out
  • More to come

We will provide updates via pictures and youtube videos. The goal is to attend the NW overland Rally next year with it and whatever Land Cruisers we have at the time; http://expeditionportal.com/overlandrallies/

Looking forward to build project input and ideas, happy to answer whatever questions you may have. PHOTOS to come! :beer:

Last edited:

maxxmaven

Unimog 406 Camper

Unimog 406 Camper www.duiser.com

Some background on this project, was used a snow blower by Washington state since new, then was used for fire fighting purposes on private party. We acquired it and now it will become a pop top camper. While 406 wheel base is short and so is the bed. The bed was extended when it was used for firefighting.

The basis for the camper is a pop top tent trailer which will be placed on top of storage compartments and boxed on all sides. The unimog cab was painted prior and the camper box will be paint matched once finished.

All surfaces and finishes will be replaced or improved the interior of the camper will completely replaced with new surfaces, floors, counter tops and cabinets.

THE GOAL

We want this to be the ultimate go anywhere "base camp", the 406 is not designed for the road or highway use for long periods of time. It has 24 gears and 4 transfer case ranges for OFFROAD USE. This is a perfect for someone who is a hunter, who has access to large amounts of land and wants a go anywhere base camp. With tons of storage, solar power, fresh water holding tanks and generator hook ups this vehicle can be off the grid for a very long time.

Unimog 406 Camper

UNIMOG 406
POP TOP CAMPER
15,000 HYDRAULIC WINCH
10,000 TOW HITCH
LED LIGHTS THROUGHOUT
SLEEPS 6
CAMPER HEATER
CAMPER PROPANE STORAGE
PROPANE GRILL
30 GAL WATER STORAGE
GENERATOR STORAGE
GENERATOR HOOKUP
INVERTER
KITCHEN SINK
KITCHEN STOVE3
ROOFTOP VENT
ROOFTOP SOLAR PANELS

www.duiser.com

IMG_20140929_104958462.jpg

JustinSpeas

Unimog 406 Camper www.duiser.com

Some background on this project, was used a snow blower by Washington state since new, then was used for fire fighting purposes on private party. We acquired it and now it will become a pop top camper. While 406 wheel base is short and so is the bed. The bed was extended when it was used for firefighting.

The basis for the camper is a pop top tent trailer which will be placed on top of storage compartments and boxed on all sides. The unimog cab was painted prior and the camper box will be paint matched once finished.

All surfaces and finishes will be replaced or improved the interior of the camper will completely replaced with new surfaces, floors, counter tops and cabinets.

THE GOAL

We want this to be the ultimate go anywhere "base camp", the 406 is not designed for the road or highway use for long periods of time. It has 24 gears and 4 transfer case ranges for OFFROAD USE. This is a perfect for someone who is a hunter, who has access to large amounts of land and wants a go anywhere base camp. With tons of storage,
solar energy, fresh water holding tanks and generator hook ups this vehicle can be off the grid for a very long time.

Unimog 406 Camper

UNIMOG 406
POP TOP CAMPER
15,000 HYDRAULIC WINCH
10,000 TOW HITCH
LED LIGHTS THROUGHOUT
SLEEPS 6
CAMPER HEATER
CAMPER PROPANE STORAGE
PROPANE GRILL
30 GAL WATER STORAGE
GENERATOR STORAGE
GENERATOR HOOKUP
INVERTER
KITCHEN SINK
KITCHEN STOVE3
ROOFTOP VENT
ROOFTOP SOLAR PANELS

www.duiser.com

View attachment 250098

Thanks for sharing out the project details..It is very exciting information indeed.. Well I can say a perfect vehicle for camping..

Last edited:

Tennmogger

Explorer
I think this is a grand idea. Sure, the Unimog 406 model is not a fast vehicle but it will maintain 45 mph. The OM-352 engine is made to run wide open all day if needed.

Most rural area back roads, back east for sure, are speed limited to 40-45 mph anyway. I cruise around in a 406 just for the fun of it. Often there's a farm implement on the back.

Here are a couple of pictures I stole off the net years ago406 mog with long cab.jpg406 camper RV.jpg.

I really like that expedition-type 406!! I would be glad to give credit if i knew the owners.

Bob

maxxmaven

Progress continues on the unimog, steel support legs, sub frame and cross bracing support an exterior wood framing and sheeting layer. Weather sealed access doors have been acquired and temporarily installed.

IMG_20141103_115218780.jpg

maxxmaven

Unimog 406 Camper Update

Its been a long time but I wanted to update everyone on the progress. I'll post more interior shots soon!!

unimog 406 camper.jpgunimog 406.jpgunimog 406 headlights.jpgunimog camper front.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles