Have 255/85R16 gone extinct?

mikelite80

Adventurer
Is it just me or has this size pretty much disappeared completely? I currently run that size in a set of BFG MT's that weren't the best choice for the desert and asphalt but they were the right size and a SCREAMING deal at the time. Actually minus the wear they have been fine, no tears or problems. A huge factor in their wear were some questionable alignments.

It looks like my only replacement option that isn't a Mud tire is the Cooper Discovery. Even in the mud category it seems to only be the BFG and a Toyo I believe. I sure don't need MT's in Arizona, don't even really need All Terrains! Between the highway miles to get to dirt, and most of the dirt being so hard packed it may as well be concrete. Poor tires in their life time may spend 2% of their time on rock, and .0000047% of their time on mud. And that assumes any wet dirt can be called mud.

I love the lift and look it gives me. I don't want to switch sizes, partly cause I don't want to buy another spare.

Thanks,

Mike

mikelite80

Adventurer
Those are the two tires I mentioned. There used to be way more options. That size seems to be fading away. That is one of the best prices I've seen for the cooper's.

I'm running the old version of the MTs and want something a bit more asphalt friendly.

rockwood

Adventurer
I'd noticed that this size was going away. Looking at 285-75-16 next time I suspect. Same overall diameter but a little wider.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
There is an entire thread on here somewhere about what tires are available in that size. I believe the Maxxis bighorns are as well

mikelite80

Adventurer
Everyone keeps trying to point out the very tires I mentioned. I'm wondering where all the others went. There is an older thread back from around the time I actually bought my current set, back when there were a good handful of options....not 3, 2 of which are a mud tire. Problem is all the mall crawlers that think big and wide is good. They buy more then the few of us. Same with big rims, bigger is better.

Rockwood....I think in the long run I'll end up going that way, but I think the Coopers might get a shot. Seems the lesser known the tire brand the better the tire. Work truck had goodyears that all separated and bubbled. No name house brand from Discount barely show wear after 40k+ miles.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Apparently at SEMA Cooper announced that the ST maxx would also be coming out in 255 85 R16 shortly.

FireGuy

Adventurer
I've been emailing al the big name tire companies for years to try and get them to make more tires in the 255 size. It is a great size, especially on Tacoma's and 4Runners. I ran 255/80/17' BFG's KM2's for years and loved it. Now running 285/70/17 Nito MT's and I'm not liking the size at all. Same height, but the width causes rubbing problems that where never there before. Plus The extra weight is really noticed when it comes to braking and MPG. The 285's "look" better in the sense that they fill out the wheelwell and look burly, but I'm going back to the 255's on stock rims when these 285's wear out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior