Mothballing a Landcruiser...

Ridge Runner

Delta V
One thing you need to remember is that white is not a very good color for blocking out UV light. It will be better than nothing and will work well to reflect heat, but don't count on it keeping out UV light by itself. There's a reason pill bottles, beer bottles, etc are ugly colors.

dirtyboots

Observer
Weld all of the other Landcruisers that you own together into a shed, creating modern art, and protection for the 60 all at once.

4xdog

Explorer
One thing you need to remember is that white is not a very good color for blocking out UV light. It will be better than nothing and will work well to reflect heat, but don't count on it keeping out UV light by itself. There's a reason pill bottles, beer bottles, etc are ugly colors.

I wouldn't say that's a general statement. A lot would depend on how the plastic film was made white. If it's a calcium carbonate (gound limestone) filler, yes, it's not highly UB absorbing. If on the other hand it's done with a decent amount of titanium dioxide, it would be a very good UV block -- TiO2 has high ultraviolet absorption.

There are plenty of pharmaceuticals packaged in white plastic -- a lot of OTC stuff, for example, but plenty of prescription ones, too. I believe the bottles dispensed by a pharmacist are amber to block UV and retain some transparency -- just like beer. It's not because amber is inherently better for UV.

The boat shrink-wrap is a terrific idea. There are lots of outdoor-rated car covers, too. One of those could be another simple solution.

getout

Adventurer
I wouldn't say that's a general statement. A lot would depend on how the plastic film was made white. If it's a calcium carbonate (gound limestone) filler, yes, it's not highly UB absorbing. If on the other hand it's done with a decent amount of titanium dioxide, it would be a very good UV block -- TiO2 has high ultraviolet absorption.

There are plenty of pharmaceuticals packaged in white plastic -- a lot of OTC stuff, for example, but plenty of prescription ones, too. I believe the bottles dispensed by a pharmacist are amber to block UV and retain some transparency -- just like beer. It's not because amber is inherently better for UV.

Well...I learned something today. I think I can go home now. I imagine you didn't just get that off wikipedia.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
Stuff like Armor All may help - I do not know.

don't use armor all. between the silicates, alcohols and petroleum products, it's not good. a damp cloth is the best for wiping down interiors, but if you need a chemical cleaner, choose something like 303 aerospace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior