Big Red XJ starting the "Overland" build

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Just picked up a Google Nexus 7 that I'll be using for navigation, playing around with it now to get used to it. Very similar to my phone but there's a few things different. So far, I really like it! I'll be looking into a Ram mount system so I can use it in my XJ. An update on my progress for that: I was hit 2 weeks ago and bent my track bar really bad. A new one from Iron Rock OffRoad is on the way. Gotta replace the passenger side wheel bearing as well, along with the shock absorber. Minor things really when you take into consideration that the vehicles collided at 35 mph. Working on it a bit today.

Septu

Explorer
Just picked up a Google Nexus 7 that I'll be using for navigation, playing around with it now to get used to it. Very similar to my phone but there's a few things different. So far, I really like it! I'll be looking into a Ram mount system so I can use it in my XJ.

Installed one of those in a RAM mount a couple weeks or so ago. Love it!

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Very Nice XJ Big Red!
You might look into ProClip Mounts for your Nexus 7, This one is for your 01 XJ

I'm Very Happy with the one in my 96 very stable.

About $60 in the 3pcs, ProClip Mount, Tilt & Swivel Insert, Move Clip System.
Works for either Driver or Passenger.

I keep it all in My Nav-Bag. Just grab it and Go

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Hey Big Red I just watched you on YouTube in Niagara Overland-Ardbeg Expedition.

Great Video & Nice Bunch of Jeeps!!

Are there any other videos you guy's have made?

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Backroad Explorer, thanks for the info on the mount! The location your is placed is exactly where I want mine. Although the picture in the newer Jeep mounted near the cup holders may not be an option for me as that is where my CB is mounted. As for more videos, search YouTube for WNY 4x4 Club and check out our channel. And thanks for the compliments everyone!

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Track bar finally came in! Going to be installing that and the new wheel bearing this afternoon, so the Jeep will finally be driveable again!

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Track bar is in along with new wheel bearing, it's nice to have a drivable Jeep for the first time in weeks! Might have to make a few adjustments

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I just ordered a new track bar tonight along with the rest of my lift parts, stoked! My XJ has been out of commission for 2 months now. Well I can still drive it, but not on the trails...boo. So I feel your pain.

:)

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Yeah I finally got a chance to take it out on some seasonal roads over the weekend. Everything seems to be in order. After the blizzard we had here I want to take it out again.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
Got a chance to test out the Nexus this weekend, and it was awesome! It works better than I had hoped for. I've been using Backcountry Navigator and I used one of it's functions to draw a line out on the map to give me a path to follow. Our group got to explore some interesting seasonal roads near Letchworth State Park. I'll have pics uploaded off my phone in a few. I didn't get a mount for it yet, but I found that zip ties around either end attached to the center HVAC vents hold it quite securely and allow me to tilt it a little bit. It's cheap and effective so I'll probably do that till I get tired of it lol.

BigRedXJ

Adventurer
New Bilstein 5165 front shocks ordered with 13" of travel, along with a Rugged Ridge SYE that I'll be installing into the NP231 I plan on swapping in. Right now I've got the 242 and although it works fine, sometimes it's a bit picky shifting out of 4wd. Since I have a rear auto locker having the extra feature of full time use 4wd isn't very useful. So I've opted to put in a more basic and effective unit. Plus I had one in my old Jeep and I love how easily it shifted in and out of 4wd. SYE should be delivered today, shocks should be shipped today.
Also have plans to travel up to Ardbeg, ON for memorial day weekend. Though I'm not sure I'll be able to make that trip or not. I'm getting married in a few months and holding the wedding and reception out at my parents place, a nice country setting. It seems they've chosen that weekend to work on the gardens... Obviously I'd rather be off roading than working in the gardens, but it is for my wedding, so I may have to suffer through it lol. Haven't had a chance to do more looking into my trip out west, but that'll most likely be overshadowed until after the wedding. Then it's full force building of my Dad's Bronco and more prep work on my XJ. I've got lots of plans for it and hope to get it all done before next year. Tax returns and overtime paychecks are lending a good hand towards completion.

Also have a couple of day trips planned for the beginning of February. A few local clubs and parks are organizing poker runs on unmaintained seasonal roads. Unfortunately we don't have much snow to make it more of a challenge, but it's still a day out with my lady and the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94