How to avoid intestinal bugs when washing dishes and vegetables w/ tap water please?

magentawave

Adventurer
Two questions about washing dishes, fruits and vegetables in third world countries please...

1) Can you still get intestinal bugs from washing your dishes and pans in regular tap water and then letting them dry? Or do you use filtered water for cleaning dishes?

2) And how do you avoid intestinal bugs when washing vegetables and fruit that you wouldn't peel?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

Last edited:

photo_i

Explorer
You've been doing that with third world tap water and no problems?

We have been and are fine so far. Amount of water that is remaining on fruit/dishes is not enough to cause problems, IMO. Of course, if the was an outbreak of cholera in the area then I wouldn't do it. :)

susswein

Observer
Two answers for you:

1) On rafting trips, the common disinfection method is to add about a teaspoon of clorox to your rinsewater and let the dishes air dry.
2) The option I use in the 3rd world is to (slowly) acclimate my body to the local bugs. I'll start by brushing my teeth in tapwater, then eat a salad rinsed in local water, and slowly up my intake until I'm drinking local tapwater. While I've occasionally gotten mildly sick this has worked well for me throughout asia and africa, and overall I tend to have fewer gastrointestinal problems than the people who are anal about drinking only bottled water.

photo_i

Explorer
slowly up my intake until I'm drinking local tapwater

Never ever done it and never ever will! Even locals don't drink tap water, well, most of them.

Oh, forgot to add - we've been living in Asia for 15 years. :)

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
You've been doing that with third world tap water and no problems?

Oops. Missed the third world part but yes, I spent three years in the Philippines and had no problems with this living in various places. I even drank small quantities out of necessity. I do believe you will build up a tolerance over time. I got dysentery once there and I never got so much as a bellyache again. Don't think it was from the water though.

Fruit can be a problem.
Once upon a time I was sitting at my favorite open air bar just watching the world go by. There were two boys about ten years old selling green mango and anchovies from a cart across the street. One of them took a dump in the roadside ditch. The other scooped up some water and splashed in on his coworker's butt. They promptly went back to selling their mangoes.

photo_i

Explorer
Fruit can be a problem.

I lived 3 years in Thailand and frequently ate pre-cut fruit from street vendors - don't know, may be Thais are cleaner then Filipinos or may be it was my robust Russian immune system, but I never had a problem. Wouldn't do it (and didn't ) in India though. :D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I spent an Immodium-rescued 16 days in rural Brasil due to the local flora.
Sometimes you just can't win.

D

Deleted member 12023

We soak all of our vegetables in Microdyne when we get back from the market. One capfull to a gallon of water and let em soak for 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure it's Iodine based.

Last edited by a moderator:

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
During travelling you really just can't stop getting a tummy bug,
the enviroment is so much diferent to where your bodies aclimatised to
its almost 99% sure you'll get a tummy bug at some point on a long trip

Carry imodium for those got to travel days, if your on a weeks stop over in a beach hotel just let it run its course

Chilli in food kills most bad bacteria....hence the countries with the worst cleanliness usually eat the hottest food....

All the people who did'nt like chilli died off years ago :)

Here in latino land we just wash with tap water, you can smell the clorine in it

We drink bottled water just for the taste !

madmax718

Explorer
Washing dishes in tap water in third world countries is usually ok, provided that:
if you use the water, you are 100% air dried- which usually doesnt happen. Hot food poured onto an air dried plate will destroy most reminants, but not all the time.
if you use the water, and dry your dishes in the sun- the UV will kill off the pesky bugs once the plates are dry. Again, this really only is reliable for the surface of the plate, and not the backside.

Chlorine will kill off viruses, and a lot of bacteria, but in normal rates for drinking water, it will not get crypto.

Its the percentage of bugs you actually injest, and the state of your immune system. Some people are just tougher than others, and some people are more precautious than others. Each culture had developed their own solutions, perhaps by trial and error, that limited the effects/tranmission of intestinal bugs.

i.e: Super spicy foods
water downed beer (its boiled!)
Tequila/rum/etc.
Hot foods
Pickled foods
Dried/preserved foods

In asia, its not traditional to have a cold beverage. Very rarely will anyone provide you with "ice water"- Even the airports have a "boiled and cooled" water machine. Its also not traditional to have salads (like lettuce/tomato/etc). Fruits are generally sold whole, and very rarely eaten with the skin (save for grapes/peaches/etc). Almost everything else is pealed.

So, back to the OP:
If the water is questionable, a dishwasher with drying function is best. The super hot water + hot air drying will kill everything.
If hand washing, a long commonly done tradition is to take boiling water and scald the plate before using. There is a modern version of the same thing, documented by the National Food Service Management Institute.
we have to follow this guideline when doing food competions as well.
In short, its a 3 step, much like the traditional way: Wash , Rinse, Sanitize.
Wash at water with detergent above 110F, or at temp specified by detergent mfg.
Rinse with clean water
Third compartment santize with sanitizing solution mized at a concentration specified, or immerse in hot water at or above 171 degrees for 30 seconds. Alternatively, you can do 75 degree water, with chlorine bleach at 50ppm.

Also to remember is not to cross contaminate, (don't pickup dirty, then clean dishes), don't towel dry, (air dry only).

50ppm is very low, and I dont' think its enough for "non potable" water situations *edit* sorry 4-5ppm is all that is needed for residual chlorine for drinking water. with standard house hold bleach, its 5.25% avaliable sodium hypochlorite (which diminishes quickly).

Apparently Crypto doesn't always die with a 50ppm solution either.

Last edited:

Overthetop

A rule of thumb that has served me well, is that any fruit or veggies that aren't peeled..get cooked- no exceptions. In south america, I always have issues when I don't follow this rule.

madmax718

Explorer
Btw, if you can find it, the old MSR miox is an excellent unit. It generates a mixed oxidant solution. 4ppm is pretty much what it generates for 1 gallon of water. (if you use the 4ppm dose in 1 quart, you'd get 16ppm). 4-5ppm is considered a good number for water purification for most water. In order to reach the NSF standard, you'd need to make approximately 3 doses for 1 quart. There's the other oxiding compound, but the NSF doesn't recognize it. Its believed these compounds is what gives the miox the ability to kill crypto (95% in 30 minutes, 99.9% in 4 hours).

I've felt very confident washing my fruits and vegetables (have even gone as far as using a plastic bag and soaking the fruits for an hour) using the 8ppm dosing. I've never had to do more than a few plates, so I've just used my portable shower bag and made the solution for the final rinse. Been ok so far! knock on wood!

Oh, and the two suggestions above are like.. great rules for everywhere. Ice machines are filthy! Even in the U.S.!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior