National Luna Dual battery install

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I purchased a National Luna split charger kit from Paul May at equipt1.com. It's always good to deal with Paul, I swear he ships product out before you even finish ordering it. He's quick.
Very nice kit with more than enough parts to make it work in pretty much any vehicle. The only thing not included was shrink tubing to make the ends look real clean.
I soldered all ends and used shrink tube to pretty them up. I ran out of the large shrink tube and didn't have enough to do the last 2 connections (ground from battery to battery) I'll get those later.
Very easy install and between making my custom battery hold downs and fabbing a plate to mount the solenoid on, I spent 1/2 of saturday and most of sunday picking away at it. My hold down straps may not look fancy, but I'll tell you one thing, you cannot move my batteries. Period! And thats the point.

I have 1 question. When I start up my truck, after it's been sitting, I get an overcharge alarm. The 4 green light flash on the main battery monitor until I start turning on accessories like lights and stereo. Is this normal? The manual says it will alarm you of an overcharge/hi-charge, but doesn't say if thats really bad and whats the reason. I should state that its a brand new Optima red top 34r and the alternator is stock. All battery cables have been upgraded with a kit from UrbanLandcruisers.com. The aux battery is an Orbital marine redtop that I had to buy in the field or I was dead. Long story, but it's 3 years old and got me out of a jam in the middle of nowhere, Utah. When it dies I'll go with a yellowtop.

Heres some pics of the finished product in my FZJ80.

Last edited:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
more pics The last one is the controller for the system. It's a bit blurry, but at least you can see my Hula girl clearly!

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
MaddBaggins I have 1 question. When I start up my truck said:
Nice install. The over voltage alarm should stop after about 5 minutes- I think it is because the initial charge from the alternator to the main battery is over the 14.65V setting on the NL monitor. Just disable the audible alarm.

I used a red top as well, and opted to mount the solenoid and fuse holders on the auxiliary and main battery trays as shown in the pictures taken during a "dry run". Very solid, and provides good visibility/accessibility
The red-top powers 2 aux lights and a 12 volt outlet.

Another vote of confidence for this kit.

1. Front view of aux battery tray
2. Back view
3. Back of main battery tray
4. Close up

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have the National Luna setup as well. It is in a 97 80 series. While I get the green lights upon startup, they do not flash and I do not get an alarm. Once the solenoid kicks in, both the main and aux. battery show in the green. I would go ahead and call Paul at Equipt and see what he says...

taco2go

Explorer
I sent Paul an email.

After the initial 5 min timer, when the solenoid kicks in, both LEDs stay in the green and it seems to be charging the auxiliary battery just fine.
I also tested the alt- it does seem to have a higher output initially.

I'll look into it some more...:Mechanic:

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Very nice installs, gentlemen. And thanks for the kinds words.

I think you hit it on the head with the start up high voltage. This should not cause you a problem. A cold vehicle will tend to rev a bit higher upon start up and get you up to where the alarm will sound. Add load to the system by turning on a few things will bring it back down, or once the engine is a bit warmer, the idle will fall and the voltage will drop into range. My 100 Series did the same thing on several occations. The idea behind the alarm was that if something malfunctioned over time you would be alerted to the issue as you drove down that trail to earth's end. Too high a charge over time can have dire consequences. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
How idiot proof is this kit?

I could just about take my truck apart and put it back together again, but electronics is definitely my weakest knowlege base.

I've been planning on ordering this kit for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I need to get my dual batteries worked out before I get my trailer.

taco2go

Explorer
Man, Paul has some weird ESP thing going on- that was quick!........yup, and it is just a little bit cold here in MI, come to think of it. :)

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
SAR_Squid79 said:

I could just about take my truck apart and put it back together again, but electronics is definitely my weakest knowlege base.

I've been planning on ordering this kit for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I need to get my dual batteries worked out before I get my trailer.

Very easy to install. The directions are clear and you don't have to disturb any factory wiring. I'll be installing this on my bro's 100

MaddBaggins

Explorer
SAR_Squid79 said:

Very easy. I can nearly build a house, I can weld, I can tear into a vehicles mechanicals, but I don't know why, electrical stuff intimidates me. This was easy.
Funny that electrical intimidates me, I worked on electronics when I was in the Navy. Go figure.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Thanks Paul for chiming in! I was wondering if thats why it does it. Maybe the combo of a brand new battery and high startup revs. I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

erod

Adventurer
i will be ordering one of these in the near future...thanks for the photos and descriptions guys!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I had the same issues for the first startups on the 06' Taco I installed one on. I accounted it to the initial overcharge due to the combination of a new battery and we had been in and out of the rig alot during each start, light on/off, etc. I wouldn't fret it at all :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior