new Chevy Colorado

haven

Expedition Leader
ChevyColorado1.jpg

The new Colorado is "about 6 inches narrower, 18 inches shorter, 3 inches lower and 1,000 pounds lighter" than the Silverado full size pickup, according to Pickuptrucks.com. The hydroformed frame is fully boxed. Pickuptrucks.com expects the payload rating to be about 1400 lb, pretty low considering the world truck has payload of about 2200 lb. It's worth noting that almost no parts are shared between the world Colorado and the built-in-Missouri version.

The Colorado for USA will be available in two cab configurations (extended cab and crew cab) and two bed lengths (5 ft or 6 ft). For the 2015 model year, powerplant options will be limited to a 2.5L four cylinder gasoline engine (193 hp, 184 ft lb of torque) and a 3.6L gas V6 (302 hp, 270 ft lb). Both engines will be backed by a 6 speed automatic.

Coming in the 2016 model year is a 2.8L four cylinder turbodiesel, designed by VM Motori. Pickuptrucks.com expects about 350 ft lb of torque. The diesel will be available in all trim levels, including the utilitarian Work Truck (W/T). (Does this mean that GM expects VW to bring their diesel engine pickup, the Amarok, to USA in 2016?)

No fuel economy estimates for any of the above engines has been made available.

Suspension is independent with coil springs in front, solid axle with leaf springs in the rear. Disc brakes all around. An Eaton G80 automatic locking rear differential is optional.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/11/2015-chevrolet-colorado-first-look.html

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Very nice... I liked the world styling but like this even better...very tacoma(ish) from the side IMO and much better than the sierras/silverados
Wish there was a manual transmission option though...

aardvarcus

Adventurer
2015 Z71 Crop.jpg

I am really considering buying the 2.8L diesel Colorado. Just have to wait two more years for it to come out...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wish GM would get away from the square wheel wells. But this truck is much better looking than the new 1500's.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I like it, much better styling than the 1500's....and waaay better than the World version.

Bummer on the no manny trans...deal killer. Other than that, Chevy did a great job. Like the interior as well.

The diesel will be available in all trim levels, including the utilitarian Work Truck (W/T).

Cool!

BCHauler

Adventurer
I think the truck looks great. New truck options are always good news. Here's hoping they don't get too greedy with pricing.

Yeah, right.

cyclic

Adventurer
I wonder if GM has the stones to do a reasonable priced crate motor Duramax 4 cylinder? Stronger and better mileage than my factory TBI. Wouldn't that be wicked?

haven

Expedition Leader
Estimating the size of the new Colorado, based on how the Colorado differs from the Silverado, it appears to me that the Colorado will be slightly longer, but about the same width and height as the Tacoma (no surprise here). The Colorado crew cab has a longer bed option than the Tacoma, more powerful V6, plus more cargo capacity and greater towing ability.

When Chevrolet sold the first version of the Colorado, an aluminum flatbed was a factory option. It would be great if we could order the new Colorado with a flatbed, and then drop a lightweight camper on the back.

Clutch

<---Pass
When Chevrolet sold the first version of the Colorado, an aluminum flatbed was a factory option. It would be great if we could order the new Colorado with a flatbed, and then drop a lightweight camper on the back.

Now your talking...a diesel, factory flatbed and a XP Camper would be an awfully nice setup.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I wish GM would get away from the square wheel wells. But this truck is much better looking than the new 1500's.

Me too. The world version has round openings, but GM has stuck with and applied square fender openings to most every truck/suv they build for the US market. They can't seem to come to grips with the fact that tires are round...

Jack

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
ChevyColorado1.jpg

(Does this mean that GM expects VW to bring their diesel engine pickup, the Amarok, to USA in 2016?)

If the VW does come, I know where my cash goes! (The Colorado is better than I hoped, but the Amarok ROCKS!!).

image_zps33ae06a9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles