new Chevy Colorado

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
View attachment 197290

I am really considering buying the 2.8L diesel Colorado. Just have to wait two more years for it to come out...

Me too!
I really like the styling and interior. Fully boxed frame and full disc brakes... DIESEL! Yes please.

It would be nice if they brought a Tacoma diesel but I'm tired of Toyota marketing always playing "follow the leader".
I'll be waiting forever as a Toyota loyalist.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
If the VW does come, I know where my cash goes! (The Colorado is better than I hoped, but the Amarok ROCKS!!)

The VW Amarok is impressive. There was one parked on the street near where we were parked at the Overland Expo this past year with Mexico plates. Didn’t drive it but it was very impressive looking all around.

I know the expo types are salivating over for a diesel Colorado/Canyon because, you know, diesels are just the Expo thing and I bet Indiana Jones himself even drives a diesel but don’t discount the 3.6L gas engine. We have that same engine in our new body style 2014 Impala and it flat out moves while still pulling great fuel economy. Even with its small displacement the direct injection really helps the engine deliver gobs of low end torque but yet still has sportscar-like high-end horsepower. My only complaint with the new GM direct injected engines is they tend to make some noticeable top end noise. Not horrible, and most people may not even hear it, but they do make a noise that you just didn’t hear on old sequential injected engines. This holds true on the new V6 and V8 Ecotec engines in the Silverado/Sierra as well.

That said, I must admit, even with me not being much of a diesel fan I am curious as George to get behind the wheel of the diesel Colorado once they come available. Who knows, maybe it will turn me into a diesel fan too… it already has one thing going for it over the diesels I dislike so much….it is an inline diesel not a V design :coffee:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The VW Amarok is impressive.

Having owned a 2010 Tiguan, I love the fit and finish on the newer VWs. The way they drive appeals to my Teutonic side. "Fartfignewton" and all that...

That said, I must admit, even with me not being much of a diesel fan I am curious as George to get behind the wheel of the diesel Colorado once they come available. Who knows, maybe it will turn me into a diesel fan too… it already has one thing going for it over the diesels I dislike so much….it is an inline diesel not a V design :coffee:

"Come to the dark side young Skywalker". -Darth Vader.

nmatcek

Adventurer
Wow, looks so much better than I anticipated. I actually want one now but I'd like to wait to drive the diesel. What this new generation really needs to help it succeed is a strong aftermarket support.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I don't know exactly how you would put a steel bumper on the front of this thing. The whole front end is all one piece, from the headlights even down to where the fog lights are. The lower middle grey thing can probably be removed. I am wondering if the bumper options are going to be limited to steel middles and more bull bar type sides in front of the existing facade. I don't see a large percentage of owners being willing to cut up that fascia to install a bumper.

haven

Expedition Leader
" don't discount the 3.6L gas engine..."

The diesel will be interesting, but won't be the best choice for international travel. It will require ultra low sulfur diesel and probably will use DEF injection to control emissions. These are very hard to find anywhere south of the border. Unleaded regular gas can be found everywhere, so the Colorado with gas engine would be the right choice.

Need more torque? Cadillac has a twin turbo version of the 3.6L that produces 370 ft lb at 1700 rpm. Maybe GMC's version of the Colorado will offer the turbo motor as an option. Return of the Syclone?

BuffaloFunk

Observer
Pickuptrucks.com expects the payload rating to be about 1400 lb, pretty low considering the world truck has payload of about 2200 lb.
1400 lbs ain't much. Especially considering what the world truck can do. It's livable though, just a bit disappointing. The Nearly 10 year old Frontier and Tacoma are higher than that.

It's worth noting that almost no parts are shared between the world Colorado and the built-in-Missouri version.
Almost no parts? That is more than a bit disappointing to hear.

Still hoping for VW to bring over the Amarok

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I don’t know exactly how you would put a steel bumper on the front of this thing. The whole front end is all one piece, from the headlights even down to where the fog lights are. The lower middle grey thing can probably be removed. I am wondering if the bumper options are going to be limited to steel middles and more bull bar type sides in front of the existing facade. I don’t see a large percentage of owners being willing to cut up that fascia to install a bumper.

True, but it would be no different than cutting up the front bumper cover on the beloved late model Tacoma or 4Runner. I wouldn’t have a problem with cutting it up to install an ARB!
hack.gif

Clutch

<---Pass
If the VW does come, I know where my cash goes! (The Colorado is better than I hoped, but the Amarok ROCKS!!).

Yeah then you have to deal with VW gremlins...I owned a late model VW, I damn near took it out in the desert and set it blaze. Everyone I know that owned
them has had problems after problems. I am sure VW fans will beg to differ.

It does look cool though, VW designers know what they are doing...too bad their engineers don't.

njtacoma

Explorer
I don’t know exactly how you would put a steel bumper on the front of this thing. The whole front end is all one piece, from the headlights even down to where the fog lights are. The lower middle grey thing can probably be removed. I am wondering if the bumper options are going to be limited to steel middles and more bull bar type sides in front of the existing facade. I don’t see a large percentage of owners being willing to cut up that fascia to install a bumper.
What Larry said, but it seems like some of the newer trucks require trimming of the facia to fit aftermarket bumpers.

aardvarcus

Adventurer

Did they trim that, or did they just run the bumper up to the facia seam? Looking closer at the front end seams, it looks like if you just extended part of the bumper to the lower side of the headlight and back to the wheel well, you could make a bumper that didn’t require trimming.

Bumper.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94