new Chevy Colorado

haven

Expedition Leader
2015Coloradocoming.jpg

Image by Chevrolet

Chevrolet will literally pull back the covers from the 2015 Colorado midsize pickup at the LA Auto Show next week. The Colorado will go on sale in Spring 2014 [edit: wrong! Fall 2014] as a 2015 model.

From the teaser image above, we can see that the new Colorado will be a bit smaller than the full size Silverado next to it. You might even be able to pull the new truck into a standard size garage!

The front of the new truck looks big and boxy, different from the rounded version of the Colorado built in Thailand and Brasil, and sold around the world. The USA version of the Colorado will be built in Missouri, USA.

Hopefully Chevy will also reveal details like GVWR and engine choices for the planet's newest midsize pickup. The world version of the Colorado uses 2.5L and 2.8L four cylinder diesel engines. The 2.0L diesel that Chevrolet uses in the Cruze sedan is a possibility. It produces 260 ft lb of torque, which may be a bit low for a truck application. However, the gas V6 in the Toyota Tacoma only produces 266 ft lb of torque.

Pricing would be nice, too, but I suspect they won't tell us until closer to the start of sales.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Allready seen it. They've had proto's with the striped German Battleship cammo running around town for a while. Boxier like their 1/2tons. Reminded me of a mildly tuned Titan with sharper edges. They had a wedge of foam on the hood and windshield under the cammo to make the hood look van like. Might actually be a decent truck, in a H3, Tacoma, kinda way. If you option it out like that. Pricing will be key. Because if it costs as much as a Taco or 2500...
-
...and what was the cammo'd SUV version I saw trailing it? Same with a cap to throw me off? Or a new SUV?

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
GM makes a 4Runner-style SUV on the Colorado chassis for sale in Australia...nah, no auto manufacturer will introduce a body on frame midsize SUV to USA these days. The unibody models are lighter, hence better mpg.

I must say the picture I posted above looks like this Colorado has a six inch lift and tall tires, or it's sitting on a platform of some kind. I doubt it's so tall.
Pickuptrucks.com had a series of photos of the new Colorado in camo in early October that make the new truck look lower.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/10/spied-2015-chevy-colorado-drops-some-camo.html

rkj__

Adventurer
I'm excited for the launch. I really hope this truck is successful for GM. The price point will be a key factor in its success, so I hope a well equipped model does not get too pricey.

I prefer the size of the current Colorado, but I expect much more refinement from the new model.

It could very well be my next truck. I won't likely be in the market for another 4-6 years though.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If its as ugly as the new fullsize, I'll be ever so slightly sad. It's not on my radar, but I hate seeing ugly trucks.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Looks like some pics leaked beforehand. Better looking than the world model, less Malibu-esque than many feared.
colorado1.jpgcolorado2.jpgcolorado3.jpgcolorado4.jpg
Floor shifter has potential for being a pain in the knee but we'll see.

ckupq

Observer
The front end kinda reminds me of a S-10/Sonoma. Probably will cost about as much as a similarly priced 1500. Pass.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I like it! Looks much better than the World Colorado. Pricing will be the deal breaker between this and a Silverado/Sierra. Unfortunately, 7/8 scale trucks do not carry a 7/8 scale price. What will be a unique feature to set this Colorado/Canyon apart from the rest of the midsize trucks will be the forthcoming diesel option. That is good news for the diesel lov’n types, but bad news for the diesel types that wish for a diesel 1500 series Silverado or Sierra. A diesel in this truck will pretty much guarantee you will not see one in the full-size ½ ton anytime soon.

daveyboy

Adventurer
Blah. I think that the global Colorado is a much better looking and cohesive design. This one took that balanced design and said, "make it squarer, with square wheel wells." I like the hope for a diesel, however.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Blah. I think that the global Colorado is a much better looking and cohesive design. This one took that balanced design and said, "make it squarer, with square wheel wells." I like the hope for a diesel, however.

Hmmm, I never really thought of the World Colorado as good looking or possessing a cohesive design. I kinda thought looked like Barney without many friends. The World Colorado looks almost as balanced as Barney too.

2013-chevrolet-colorado-pickup-4x4-terreno-1280x720.jpg

Barney.jpg

Now this.....this looks like a nice little truck :drool:
Untitled-8-e1384898140690.jpg

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I like it! I also like that there will be more solid options when my Frontier needs replacing. Can't wait to see the GMC version, too!

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
oh come on Larry, comparing a static photo to that action shot? apple and oranges a little.

personally, the US version reminds me of the Tacoma in the cab area and the rest is just slightly smaller 1500 design. Nothing special really at all. Why buy this over the 1500 when they're pretty much the same. The global Colorado, however, offers something totally different and in my opinion would be a better option and better seller.

a better static shot (not stock, I know):

an action shot for better comparison:

and just because:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Yeah, the Global Rally Concept was pretty cool looking.

Chevrolet-Colorado_Rally_Concept_2011_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

However, I don’t know…static or dynamic, Barney still looks like Barney
dunno.gif

MI0000163284.jpg

Barney.jpg

SouthernMatt

TURBO DIESEL IN 2016!

Colorado.jpg

AutoBlog Link
TruckTrend Article

Chevy through a few interesting tidbits in the press release...

Truck Trend says "The Colorado's new frame, which is fully boxed and uses a lot of high-strength steel, is about 40 percent lighter than the global frame, and shares relatively few components with it."

"When properly equipped, the Colorado is expected to offer class leading payload capacity and trailering capacity of more than 6,700 pounds (3,039 kg). That's more than enough capability to throw a weekend's worth of camping gear in the bed and tow a boat to a favorite lake."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke