new Chevy Colorado

Juntura

Observer
.... and really wet, short grass.

Have you ever tried to sprint on that in anything besides good cleats? When the grass was wet our cleats went from 3/8" to 3/4" for a reason.

CodyY

Explorer

Have you ever tried to sprint on that in anything besides good cleats? When the grass was wet our cleats went from 3/8" to 3/4" for a reason.

Yup.

Still unacceptable. I knew i had pics somewhere. Found em on my old phone. I was headed to dualsport in Big Bend. Took 2 hours to find a buddy to tug me out from the driveway.

Then we got a ticket 10miles from the house.

Then the (very high mileage) 525 cooked its top end in the middle of nothing and I had to dump my camelback into the rads to offset the leaking waterpump. Left me with no drinking water for a couple hours, ran outta fuel and "bought" 2 gallons from a ranch with nobody home (open pole barn, lots of gas cans full of fuel, i left $10 with a note amd my phone #, got a phone call saying they got the money and appreciate my honesty).

Havent ridden that bike since. Its been sitting for 2.5 years with the top end torn off.

Still one of my favorite trips though.

nmatcek

Adventurer

Exactly. More of a traction problem than anything else.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

trail-explorer

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Colorado when it arrives at dealers this fall. One with the 2.8L Duramax might just be my next truck.

Preliminary HP numbers suggest about 200HP, 300+ lb/ft of torque

camodog

Adventurer
This is one of the few times the Chevy looks better than the GMC imo. I would have a tough time picking cab and bed configurations.
The diesel has me all excited though.

haven

Expedition Leader
Chevrolet has announced the EPA numbers for the V6 Colorado. The 4x4 V6 is rated to deliver 17 mpg city, 24 mpg highway, 20 mpg overall. That's slightly better than the Toyota Tacoma V6.

V6 engines in full size trucks score almost as well. For example, the Silverado 1500 with V6, 6 speed automatic, and 4x4 is rated 17 city, 22 mpg highway, 19 mpg overall. The Ram 1500 4x4, with 8 speed automatic, is rated 16 mpg city, 23 mpg highway, 19 mpg overall.

So the Colorado's EPA estimates are kinda disappointing, considering that the vehicle is close to 1000 lb lighter than the full size trucks.

Still to come are mpg ratings for the Colorado with four cylinder gas and diesel engines.

762X39

Explorer
I have a company supplied Colorado (2008, 5 cylinder) and I would have preferred an Astro too. The ownership experience, fuel economy and cramped cabin (extracab with Z71 package) has been very unsatisfactory. I guess with owning an F150 and having a Tundra, Tacoma and a couple of crewcab Rams in the company fleet, there isn't much to love.YMMV:coffee:

4x4junkie

Explorer
So the Colorado's EPA estimates are kinda disappointing, considering that the vehicle is close to 1000 lb lighter than the full size trucks.

Doesn't surprise me at all... The truck is only marginally smaller (it's like, 'why even bother?').

Had the truck been the size of true small trucks of 15 years ago (I.E., S-10, Ford Ranger, 1st-gen Tacoma, etc.), I'm sure we would've seen MPG ratings around 26-27 on a 4x4 V6 model, distinguishing it better from a full-size truck.

Looks like another one I have no interest in buying, just because of it's lack of a stickshift available on a 4WD, if nothing else.
icon13.png

haven

Expedition Leader
The Colorado's EPA numbers for the 2.5L four cylinder gas engine have been released. With 6 speed manual trans and rear wheel drive, the numbers are 19 city, 26 highway, and 22 mpg overall. With 4x4 and automatic, the numbers are slightly lower, 19/25/21 overall. These numbers are a couple of mpgs better than the V6 version, and also an mpg or two better than Toyota and Nissan trucks with four cylinder engines.

The Colorado payload figures also are a better than the competition. The 2WD Colorado with steel wheels is rated to carry a maximum of 1,590 lb of cargo. A Tacoma Access Cab model with a 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual, and 2WD has a cargo capacity of 1285 lb.

Kaisen

Explorer
These numbers are a couple of mpgs better than the V6 version, and also an mpg or two better than Toyota and Nissan trucks with four cylinder engines.

What?!? The Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder automatic 4x4 is rated 18/21 versus the Chevy Colorado 2.5L 4cyl auto 4x4 is rated 19/25 ... I think 4 mpg difference on the freeway is a HUGE difference (20%!!)

haven

Expedition Leader
The Chevy has a nice mpg advantage for highway driving. Overall mpg rating shows a 10.5% difference expected in overall driving, and 5.5% in city driving (which is more like what to expect in offroad driving).

Let's hope the Diesel engine will do better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier