new Chevy Colorado

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've been asked to teach my nieces how to drive a manual. I think its a skill everyone should have. I'm glad I have my old plow truck for that. Don't want them to hurt my dually!

Desert Dan

Explorer
I hope the put a cast iron front diff on the ZR2 model if the make it.

They could also put in the low ratio T-case like the one used in the H3

4x4junkie

Explorer
Well you can't really call BS on the simple statistics. The fact is that the VAST percentage of drivers do not want a manual. Heck, the reason the Hummer was spec'ed with an automatic is that the military didn't want to have to train all the soldiers how to drive a stick and the VAST number of recruits didn't know how to drive a stick. Sad but true.

Do you (or Saiyan66) have a link to a survey supporting those statistics?

Among the average people I know, it's easily 30-40% that know how to drive one (and probably 15% that actually prefer one).
Demonstrating how to drive a stickshift isn't exactly rocket science (5 minutes I was easily driving my dad's '63 VW Bug around the neighborhood without grinding or stalling it, and an old Bug is probably one of the hardest cars to learn on lol). I think a better reason HMMWVs were not spec'ed with sticks is because the stick would've been between the rear seat passengers.

daveyboy

Adventurer
Until we got my wife's most recent car, she had never owned anything but vehicles with a manual. With a V8 in front of it, a modern auto isn't terrible, but I would never buy a non-V8 vehicle with an auto (now that I think about it, I never have). But the days that that is even possible are probably numbered... .

Clutch

<---Pass
I think a better reason HMMWVs were not spec'ed with sticks is because the stick would've been between the rear seat passengers.

Have you ever seen how long the linkage is on a VW Kombi manual trans...

They could of stuck a manny in a H1...no problem. Not sure you would want a manual trans in a combat situation though.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I believe they went with autos because the driver has so many things to focus on besides shifting gears.
Well you can't really call BS on the simple statistics. The fact is that the VAST percentage of drivers do not want a manual. Heck, the reason the Hummer was spec'ed with an automatic is that the military didn't want to have to train all the soldiers how to drive a stick and the VAST number of recruits didn't know how to drive a stick. Sad but true.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Have you ever seen how long the linkage is on a VW Kombi manual trans...

I have not.

But thinking about it now, I have seen extravagant linkage setups on some mid-engine sandrails with VWs in them... If it's anything like those I'm betting they'd avoid it just because of it's overcomplicatedness lol. (that thing coming apart during a combat situation wouldn't be too fun... Then trying to glue it back together with gunfire happening all around you, good luck).

Scott C's post would make sense also.

Fortunately for most of us here, the biggest combat situation we're likely to deal with is with texters and cell-phone idiots (and maybe an occasional drunk, though they seem to be getting a little rarer now).

ZebFreeman

if only they had plans to produce a regular cab.. paired with the diesel and a standard tranny, 4x4 and I'd be putting my money down. I drive an 05 Colorado, it's been four years and 100 000 km since I bought it and I've got nothing but good to say about the truck (and they got shoot reviews), I was really excited about this truck and am a little disappointed about the lack of options.. fingers crossed for the GMC I suppose

beags86

Adventurer
ZR2

View attachment 199387

I am on board with this new truck. but unless the new ZR2 comes with a lift and tires at very least (like I had to build my wife's truck (below) ) then it means nothing. Or maybe like the H3T alpha. Then it's worthless. Like the styling, but it's time to give some other vehicles need some attention not just the vette and Carmaro. throwing some bilstein shocks on it isn't good enough. The diesel opt could be a big one though. Nothing else out there to compete.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 33

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
View attachment 199387
The diesel opt could be a big one though. Nothing else out there to compete.

This is an interesting point, I wonder what the other manufacturers are thinking right now (VW included). Some competition would do this market segment some good. VW has said that part of the reason we won't get an Amarok is because they can't compete, but with this diesel Chevy in the ring perhaps they will reconsider.

If the VW ever comes here that will be my DD and if bought today would mark the 7th VW product I've owned.

The new Colorado looks to be a good contender and is managing to keep me distracted from a new Sierra for the time being... Now if they would just cram a 6.2 in that little truck....

BuffaloFunk

Observer
The VW would cost as much or more than a fullsize, its just not worth it to bring it in for a few enthusiasts.
Is that with or without the extra tax that would be imposed due to it being imported? If it was due to the tax, it could be solved by having production at one of their US plants... not easy work, but doable if they thought sales would be worth it. Which they probably don't; hence why they haven't.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I would think even without the tax they still would be pretty pricey. 35 to 50k for a truck to take up valuable space on VW lots and sell in limited quantities just doesn't make much sense.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a look at the styling of the GMC Canyon, the companion to the Colorado, next to a full-size GMC 1500. More details tomorrow, at the start of the Detroit Auto Show.

gmc-canyon-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior