LR3 Clunk? Not controls arms...

SHARP

2007 LR3 w/ 67k.

The car was wandering quite badly. Rotated tires and had an alignment done, which did not fix a thing. The vehicle was also making various clunking noises, which occured inconsistantly at best. The clunking also seemed to be most prevelant stopping, starting and turning. The noise/ clunking was harder to pin point, front left, front right, middle, rear, etc. I was sure it was the lower front arms, based on hours of reading every thread on every site. Took it to my indie, whom I trust and has worked on my DII for a few years.

We discovered the lower arms had already been replaced and upon inspection determined the uppers were totally shot. So we replaced them with LR OEM uppers. Took the car for a 5 mile test drive and problem solved.... Car drove noticeably better after another alignment, without any noices.

Well, one whole day went by and the clunking it back (or never left). So we were obviously dealing with two issues.

The noise is coming from what I would say to be the middle passanger side rear. I have been under the car checking for loose bushings, rub marks, loose driveshaft, etc. Again the noise only occurs from a stop start or slow start and only turning left. Nothing is disengaging or at least it doesnt feel that way and it does not sound like a loose busing issue. If I had to describe the sound, I would say it sounds like the drive shaft has a weight tied to it and as I turn it is hitting the bottom of the car. Again this is inconsistant, one day happens 3-4 times in a row and then nothing for a few days.

Sorry if this seems wordy, but its very hard to describe something you dont know. And yes, I am sure my mechanic could find the issue with time, however there is nothing worse than throwing money at it hoping to get results. If I could narrow it down to a few possibilites it would really help out.

Thanks for reading!

jhawk

Adventurer
I'd look at sway bar bushings and end links. You may be lucky and just have a bolt or two loose.

Jim

2007 LR3 w/ 67k.

The car was wandering quite badly. Rotated tires and had an alignment done, which did not fix a thing. The vehicle was also making various clunking noises, which occured inconsistantly at best. The clunking also seemed to be most prevelant stopping, starting and turning. The noise/ clunking was harder to pin point, front left, front right, middle, rear, etc. I was sure it was the lower front arms, based on hours of reading every thread on every site. Took it to my indie, whom I trust and has worked on my DII for a few years.

We discovered the lower arms had already been replaced and upon inspection determined the uppers were totally shot. So we replaced them with LR OEM uppers. Took the car for a 5 mile test drive and problem solved.... Car drove noticeably better after another alignment, without any noices.

Well, one whole day went by and the clunking it back (or never left). So we were obviously dealing with two issues.

The noise is coming from what I would say to be the middle passanger side rear. I have been under the car checking for loose bushings, rub marks, loose driveshaft, etc. Again the noise only occurs from a stop start or slow start and only turning left. Nothing is disengaging or at least it doesnt feel that way and it does not sound like a loose busing issue. If I had to describe the sound, I would say it sounds like the drive shaft has a weight tied to it and as I turn it is hitting the bottom of the car. Again this is inconsistant, one day happens 3-4 times in a row and then nothing for a few days.

Sorry if this seems wordy, but its very hard to describe something you dont know. And yes, I am sure my mechanic could find the issue with time, however there is nothing worse than throwing money at it hoping to get results. If I could narrow it down to a few possibilites it would really help out.

Thanks for reading!

A.J.M

Explorer
Could be ARB bushes, they are all very easy to change.

There are 2 version's of the bushes, an older design and the newer one with a thicker base. I got genuines with bolts for £70. ( adjust for pound-dollar)
You can do them in 30 mins or so.

Also, having just refreshed my 04 114k D3, the rear uppers may need changed. If so. Fit the Sport versions! They are the stronger design.

unseenone

Explorer
Clunks & Noises can be very very tricky to diagnose. From my experience it's better to just replace all the bushings, or upper lower suspension arms. You could have a driveshaft carrier bearing going or something else.

When you get the alignment after having changed this stuff, you should also ask to have a height calibration done first.

In this case, you will find these noise identification videos both entertaining and enlightening. http://www.youtube.com/user/jjvd21/videos

Keep me in mind for diffs, etc.

SHARP

Clunks & Noises can be very very tricky to diagnose. From my experience it's better to just replace all the bushings, or upper lower suspension arms. You could have a driveshaft carrier bearing going or something else.

When you get the alignment after having changed this stuff, you should also ask to have a height calibration done first.

In this case, you will find these noise identification videos both entertaining and enlightening. http://www.youtube.com/user/jjvd21/videos

Keep me in mind for diffs, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Those videos are very cool, unfortunately none of them reflect the clunking I am hearing.

Thanks again!

A.J.M

Explorer
Have you checked the rear uppers?

The bushes on them can wear out as well. Both rear bushes on mine were totally shot to the extent i had nearly 1/2 inch of sideways movement in them if grabbed and shoved.
If so, buy genuine RRS ones, they are the better arm. Also they are what get's fitted to armoured Disco3's.

achampagne

Explorer
Are you only getting the clunk at speeds under 15mph? also if you do a quick brake tap at under 15 mph do you get the clunk? if so it is the front bushings. I am doing mine now, found a everything for under $220 shipped from amazon.

SHARP

Only under 15 mph and accelerating, typically turning left with a few times rolling stright. Fronts are already done, upper and lower arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier