What years? Suburban and Tahoe

fjatheart

Adventurer
Greetings! I've been a Toyota guy for a number of years but with a growing family there is now the need for three full rows of seats that are easily accessible for the little ones.

Would you guys share your thoughts and opinions on what year suburbans in Tahoe's might have three full rows and of those are there certain years that are better than others or certain years to stay away from?

I'm assuming that suburbans in Tahoe's still require a timing belt change at 90k miles and other preventative maintenance around 30, 60 and 90,000 miles? Any other pricey maintenance items to be considering?

Is there a better forum out there to inquire about such things?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I won't swear to being the ultimate authority but both Tahoe and Suburban have timing chains, not belts to the best of my knowledge. Gm recommends 100K for plugs, coolant, etc. The transmissions (4L80E) will benefit from a fluid changeout around 60K even though GM may not specify it. Third row seating was generally available in the Suburbans and I don't know what years for Tahoe. Keep in mind as you search that GMC Yukon and YukonXL are essentially the same vehicles.

fjatheart

Adventurer
Interesting on the chain. That could open up more possibilities. I just did the tbelt and other 90k miles preventative maintenance on my wife's 4runner and I wasn't ready to buy a vehicle and spend all if that again. Plugs and fluid changes are doable.

Thanks @4x4x4doors

Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Greetings FJ Heart. Personally, I would recommend nothing newer than the 2006 body style, since the 2007 + trucks went to full wrap around plastic on the entire body. 2006 and below still have proper bumpers front and rear. But, if you are ok with that style then shop away. I would get a vehicle with a 5.3L or 6.0L V8 for a Tahoe, if the Suburban is more your size you may want to look for one with a diesel - again, if that is your taste. When I was shopping for my rig I drove one with a 4.8L and then one with a 5.3L and felt that the difference in power was enough to justify sticking with a bigger engine.

If you are looking for other forums for information on GM SUVs, then try z71tahoe-suburban.com, gmfullsize.com, gmc4x4.com as other forums that have a lot of good information to look at. There are even more to be found just with some google browsing.

Happy shopping.

Really depends on what years your looking at.

You could not get a diesel after 99/ old body style 2000. Why is everyone on a Diesel kick these days??????

The Gas motors used in the 00 and up are great!!

2000 to about 2003 will have the cold piston slap issue or could have the issue. My 2000 NBS tahoe LS with the 5.3 has this issue but has and still does run great. Ours has over 200K and the biggest part replacement it has had to date is the Fuel pump. They seem to be pretty stout rigs and run great.

Known problems include a bearing in the Transfer case eating its way through the case. Many have been fixed by now.

The third row was an option in the Tahoe/yukon

I would narrow down what year you want and go from there. The extra space of a subrban is really nice for long trips. A Z71 might be worth looking into.

If you can find a rig out west or down south to aviod rust.

These things don't cost a ton of money depending on what years you want.

I prefer the barn doors over the lift hatch!

Last edited:

mmuthart

Observer
Why is everyone on a Diesel kick these days??????

Fuel mileage mostly. Then there's the extra range those additional MPG's allow. Some like the incredible low end torque. There's also the increased longevity due to the low revving heavy duty design.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I have owned both a 2001 yukon and 2004 yukon XL. I would go with the XL for the space especially with kids. The 5.3 is a good motor I sold each of mine with over 150k with very little problems. I had to do a fuel pump on each of them, but a lot of that is the wife likes to run fuel tanks dry. I never noticed much of a fuel mileage difference between the two.
My brother owns a 2004 3/4 ton suburban with a 6.0 liter. It has 190k miles on it and it runs great. It has had a few electrical issues but nothing major. Fuel mileage is the big difference I used to get 15-18 in 5.3 the 6.0 liter gets 11-14mpg.
I preferred the hatch over the barn doors only because we live in snow country and the rear wiper in the winter really helps.

Good Luck.

eviioiive

Observer
Dad has a 99 Tahoe with 170,000 on the clock... He does 0 maintenance... 0 as in never changes the oil, has never has a tune up, never checks fluids... And the thing just keeps going...

fjatheart

Adventurer
Are most you guys driving 4wd Suburbans and Tahoe's? Any 2wd explorers out there? With the thought if this being a family hauler and weekend Texas dirt road explorer, I was considering looking at 2wd, rear selectable locker and mild lift. What are you guys thoughts and input on this?

I've got a 4wd 4Runner and FJ-40 for the more technical off-road adventures, just not big enough for a family of 5, plus the dog.

evilfij

Explorer
The 2wd 1500 subs and tahoes look stupid because they are really low with tiny tires. A 2500 would be fine. We had an 86 c2500 and it was fine on dirt roads and a 14 bolt Detroit locker is cheap.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
The Yukon and the Tahoe are the same thing, just different cosmetics. The Yukon XL and the Suburban are the same thing, just different cosmetics.

My wife had a Yukon with the 5.3L and now has a Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L, the 5.3L makes good power, the 6.2L makes AWESOME power!!! She only drives on road with hers so, it is a 1/2 ton with 22" factory rims- total pavement princess.

If I were buying one for an expedition style rig with mild off road use, I would 100% go for a 3/4 ton 4x4. It's a big heavy beast anyway so, adding 4wd is not that much of a detriment weight or mpg wise and well worth it, IMO. (I would never consider a 2wd, even my wife's pavement princess rigs are 4x4s) I'd get a 3/4 ton since the Yukon XL/Suburban is a LOT of truck to be riding on half ton axles, especially if a lift and bigger tires are planned!!!

If you are buying specifically for having a third row seat, I would go ahead and buy a Yukon XL/Suburban. We had the Yukon with the third row and it really has no space left inside when you have somebody in the third row, there's only enough room behind that row for a couple grocery bags! Also, the third row in the Yukon XL is easier to get into since the rear door openings are bigger (no cutout for the wheel wells) and the third row has a tiny bit more leg room since the floor is lower in the third row footwell in a Yukon XL as compared to the Yukon. Having the XL now, we wish we would have bought it from the beginning!!!

You never specified what year you are looking at but, I'd assume a newish rig, just not brand new? Like the 2000-2006, maybe? Like any other vehicle, I always stay away from the first few years of a new body style/drivetrain to let them work the bugs out so, I'd likely go 2003-2006. I'd look for a 3/4 ton 4x4, they will have the 6.0L at the very least and may have the 8.1L (if mpg isn't a big concern for you, opt for the 8.1L, it's a BEAST!!!!)
Vortec 6000 364 cu in V8 (335 hp at 5200 rpm and 375 lb·ft (508 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm).
Vortec 8100 496 cu in V8 (325 hp at 4200 rpm and 447 lb·ft (606 N·m) of torque at 3200 rpm).
^ the 6.0L has a tiny peak horsepower advantage BUT, look what RPM the peaks are reached at!!!

If you are looking newer yet, like 2007-now, I still say stay away from the first couple years. These trucks are great! (my wife's Yukon was a 2012, her Yukon XL is a 2013) But, honestly, I kinda prefer the interior on the 2000-2006, the 2007-now feel like they have less space to me somehow. (but, I am a fairly big guy- 6'2", 290lbs)

Something like this here would be my top choice in newer third row rig:
34368553521.358618788.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x377.jpg
It's even white! We all know all expedition rigs should be white, LOL!
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...[CHEV[CHEVSUB[]][]]&listingId=358618788&Log=0

Last edited:
The OBS (old body style) would and was my choice. I have a 1997 Yukon SLT 4x4 Leather and 3rd row. They never made one like this untill 1999, but with a 3rd row from a suburban and some brackets from the seatshop.com I added the 3rd row while I resealed the rook rack last winter. We just put a transmission into the truck at 160k miles and that was $1500...not bad but we were on the fence about buying a 4cyl for mama and selling the Yukon. This is the 4L60E and I would eventually like to sway in a 6.6L and Allison.....but for now the 350/4L60E combo works just fine. We get 12 city and 16 hwy which is pretty good for this heavy of a truck, also considering if you were loaded full of people and crossed a centerline you should win....a newer plastic truck you are counting on milisecond sensors and inflatables to save your hide.

The Yukon is a better "TRUCK" than the Tahoe...from what I have seen the Tahoes fall apart around 120k of hard use but the Yukons tend to stick together better, might be the idea that the Tahoes out number the Yukons, so you see more worn out more often. All in all they are basicly the same but the Tahoes do not say TRUCK anywhere on them, they are SUV's.

Our Yukon has 235/85-16 10 ply tires on it and a limited slip in back, I have repeatedly gone without 4x4 in most harsh conditions, good tires and momentum will get you farther than two extra driven tires. For slick grass backing up to connect a trailer or very off-center manuvers is about the only time I engage my 4wd.

So in long answer to your question I would get an OBS 92-99 suburban with 5 kids...our 3rd row Yukon turns donuts in a standard city streey and my tiny wife can park it easily, but as mentioned above, there is only about 12" behind my 3rd row when it is in the truck. The 6.5 diesel in the suburbans would net you a 4L80E which is a better transmission but it runs the risk of costing $7500+ to install a new block if you should have cavitation issues. The 4L80E may have come with the 454 also...not sure there, but the 350 has enough snort to tow a 25ft and under trailer.

Hope this helps.

SARguru

Observer
I have been a suburban fan for as long as I can remember, I have owned 5 and a yukon, all 4x4.

88 suburban
96 yukon
99 suburban k1500
95 suburban k1500HD 6.5l td.
2004 suburban k1500
now in a 2010 k1500

I used to prefer the barn doors, but found that the lift gate was handy as previously mentioned during rain and snowing. nice to have a "tailgate' party and be sheltered from rain, snow and sun. I wouldnt go back to barn doors.

Yukon, i found horrible to drive, now I am not supper knowledgable mechanically, drive train etc, I am not sure if this particular vehicle was equipped with a sway bar, but it felt top heavy and on a section of nearby highway at 90km when going around a bend each time i would hit ta seam in the roadway, it felt like the truck was going to roll. based on that experience, I would never get a yukon again. maybe the lack of swaybar was the issue i dont know.

i think it was mentioned the 3rd row seat in a yukon gives you little cargo room. about the same amount of trunk space as a smartcar. 12 inches between the back seat and the rear door.

the 2004 once the rust hit it spread quick, salt is used on roadways in winter. one day i noticed a bit of surface rust, put it on my list of to dos, next time i looked at it i had a hole the size of a softball. in the rear quarter panels. when I traded it in for the 2010, the bottoms of the doors where all rusted even though I had factory side steps which limited the stone chips, both sides the rear quarter panels were disappearing. as mentioned the 2007+ have plastic bumper. in the rear I think this will save my truck from the rusting quarter panel issue of the 2004 since the rear bumper and quarter panel are 1 piece. in the front I plan on putting some kind of winch bumper. The US border patrol have lots of tahoe's and suburban, the crossing that I use has about 20 tahoe there, some have full front bumpers others they have cut the lower 12 inches off for improved clearance. If you have watched any episode of Border WArs you can see that those guys drive thwm like they are stolen, pedal to metal thru pot holes the plastic bumper doesnt appear to be issue.

I take my 2 kids car camping 2 adults and 2 dogs, we have room for cooler for food, bin for dry good, tent (large family model) sleeping bags, and stuff for 2-3 days. we dont run out of room. I did a 15000km road trip across canada down the western US into Utah, Colorado and back gone for 7.5 weeks. had climbing gear, camping gear, one dog, snowboarding gear, mountain bikes and gear the truck was loaded, i went on foresty roads in BC and back roads in Washington adn UTAH with no issue, had decent tires, my truck does not have a 4wd low range only 4wd high. never an issue. (if I ever have to repair the transfer case i will put in a 4lo version)

The truck has 135k kms, I am just now changing the brakes for the first time. the oil cooler lines are sweating so need to be changed. otherwise no issues. I change the oil every 10k kms. the 2010 and the 2004 are basically the same weight, both have the 5.3l the 2010 has the active fuel management system, i get on average 300 kms more per tank because of it. 2004 i would get 500-600kms per 120l tank, 2010 i get 800-900 per 120l tank

I am extremely happy with the 2010, sure i would like a k2500, but for what i do the k1500 is fine and I cant beat the fuel eco which on the road trip fully loaded with the biggest yakima ski box on the roof i averaged 13l/100kms (18mpg)

I have the 3rd row seat another advantage in the 2007+ is that they are 2 piece and come out in about 30 seconds, i can easily carry them myself, where as the 2004 had a 1 bench and was a bit harder to remove, i could take it out by myself however i keep them in the house and getting inside was not easy alone. with the 2 3rd row seats, i have at times put 1 in and 1 kid sits in the far back and i still have decent cargo space.

well thats my rambling for the night, feel free to ask q's

Oh and during the road trip, I slept in the back for about a week while in Moab during a sand storm which i c

Nic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier