Tire Load Range Question

antzam

I'm getting ready to buy a set of Duratracs for my FJ and trying to decide between load range C or E. Tire size will be 265x75x16, use will be 85% road, 15% light-moderate off-road, light towing (max 1,800- 2,000 lbs) 1-2x/mo., Bilstein 5100's, the rest of the suspension is stock.

I see that the OEM Bridgestone's have a load index of 113 (2535 lbs). The C rated DT's have a load index of 112 (2469 lbs), while the E's have a load index of 123 (3417 lbs). I know a lot of people recommend and use the C range on their FJ's, but when I do a search on Tirerack and on Goodyear's site, the recommended load rating is always E, or 113 and up. Actually, I found that Toyota's spec for 16" wheels is 114, 113 is for 17" wheels.
Here's the load index chart I referenced: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos

So my 2 questions are:
1. If the C's are OK to use, why do you suppose they aren't recommended by the search results?

2. Would it be advisable to get the C rated DT's even though they have a lower load index than the OEM spec?

Thanks for the help.

D110

Observer
I recently replaced the OME 265/75 -16 D range BFG AT KOs on my Defender 90 with E range Duratracs - honestly I think the new Duratracs even with the higher load range ride as good if not better. Personally I prefer to be over spec than under spec. So far I really like the Duratracs.

antzam

I'm leaning towards the E spec because like you, I also generally like to be over-spec than under. I posted these questions because I was curious if it's that big of deal to use a tire that has a lower load range than what's specified by the OEM. I was also curious if people were using the C range tires based solely on ride quality or if they had actually taken the load spec into consideration. I was a bit surprised to find out the OEM Bridgestones have a higher load range than the C Duratracs, but people used them anyway.

I posted the same questions over on the FJ blue site and really haven't got much in the way of answers besides - "i use the C range and they work fine". I was hoping someone would give me more a technical answer or reasoning behind their choice. I guess either people don't know the answer or don't really care.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I've been running the duratrac in the E load and I prefer the stiff sidewall to the "softer" C load sidewall.
If you plan to do any towing, the handling on the pavement or off-road will be far better with the E load. I don't do a lot of "rock crawling" so sidewall flex is not a huge concern. However, I do like the sidewall to be stiff enough to withstand a four wheel, high-speed drift in the desert. The tire tends to "peel" less with a stiffer sidewall. Another deciding factor was the fact that we are a family of four, and when the rig is loaded with ten days of gear/food/water (plus the 85lb. dog)...let's just say that the rig rides perfect when laden for an overland expo. I wouldn't run anything less than a D load on my rig (but I don't think they make a D load in the 265/75/16).

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I agree with the last poster. Load rating C is marginal and I would not use less than a D rating on any typical truck used off-road. I bought a set of Duratracs two years ago in 315 75R-16. I wanted D but they only came in E. I was afraid they would be too stiff but really aren't and have proven to be the best all around tire I have used in 50+ years messing in dirt. Also was concerned about weight in E but Goodyear says they weigh 53# in this size which is light for a 35" tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfdiesel

Explorer
Devils advocate. You blow out an under rated tire and cause a crash where some one else gets killed what do you think will happen?
Standard load tires are crap.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The C Duratracs are almost 2,500 pound rated. Do you expect to exceed that?
-
Personally, I think I'd get the E. DT's aren't the stiffest sidewall out there. Shouldn't be a problem either way.

biere

Observer
gvwr for the 2014 fj is 5570lbs.
tow rating for all models is 4700.

Since gvwr has to be split between the front and back axle somewhat decently I think the c rated duratracks are still going to offer a lot of capacity.

I understand about overloading and this and that, I own a tj.

I put c rated bfg all terrains on my tj. They don't get wishy washy and are doing just wonderfully but I only have 3200 miles or so on them as well.

I started out thinking I would want e rated tires on my tj. But I wanted to stay with the stock rims and I picked a 31x10.5r15 tire size.

The rims for the jeep are probably not rated for 90 psi, I think all e rated tires are set up to handle 90 psi but maybe it is just the ones I worked with in the past.

The e rated tires weighed more as well, not a ton more but a tj is a tiny little thing to start with.

I don't plan to swap axles in or improve my stock axles until I tear something up. Or come close to tearing it up and see an actual need for more beef.

I do feel the stock springs are too weak and will put stiffer springs in it. I like a firm ride and I hate tires that wallow around.

The jeep came with tires rated for 35 psi max from previous owner.

The bfg all terrains will take up to 44 psi max.

I currently run around at 33 psi or so. once I stick a winch and bumper up front I might have to bump that up to 36 psi or so.

The c rated tires are super duper overkill capacity for even my concept on an overloaded tj with the little utility trailer hooked up. So I did not go with e rated tires for it.

On even half ton fullsize pickups I prefer an e rated tire. I like the ride of a 3/4 ton vehicle, some one ton dually vehicles are a bit bone jarring without a load in them.

On my tj there was no need to go with e rated tires. I have not had an issue tearing out sidewalls and most of my offroading does not have me aired down very low anyway.

If I felt I was coming closer to using the capacity of my tires on the jeep right now I would have spent money upgrading the brakes and probably axles and bearings as well.

Last edited:

antzam

I ended going with the E rated DT's. The reason I asked these questions is because Toyota spec'd a tire with a 113/114 load index for a reason. I was just curious as to why people chose to go with a tire with a 112 load index - was it strictly for ride quality or did they feel Toyota's specs were over rated and that a C-rated tire was fine for this application.

verdesardog

Explorer
Just get your vehicle weighed (front and rear axle separatly) with all the junk you normally carry in it. Then get a tire that will not be overloaded.... I have 315-17 17 D's on my CTD and run them at 35psi which is what the load inflation tables state is correct for the load I normally carry. Of course if I put a load on the truck I would air up! The tires are rated for much more than the vehicle if inflated to the max of 50psi.

Zeep

Adventurer
E rated sidewalls on a vehichle like mine, are unneeded and undesirable. Gives too stiff and jolty of a ride.

Wheelman

If you spend a week on the shale-laden roads of northern Maine, you will see many pick up trucks driven by the regulars... loggers, game wardens and foresters, with two spares in the back. They're all running Load Range C at a minimum. A ten ply Load Range E tire is just about right up north. A P-rated tire on Maine's logging roads is a sacrificial rim protector and nothing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke