Looking for a specific type of camper/flippac

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hey fellow expedition people,

For a while now I have been wanting to upgrade my shell to a flip pac type topper. I like the flip pac but I do not like how it flips forward. I've seen a few tops that flip to the side but cant seem to find any info on them as they all seem to be custom. Does anyone have any info on any name brands or custom builds of this type? I feel that it could easily act as a cover or shade for my campsite when I overland. It seems too practical not to have. Pros? Cons? Any input is appreciated. Ive had my sleeping platform for a few months now and I'm kind of sick of the no head/standing room.

D

SilverBullet

Explorer
Wildernest flips to the side (not made any more, but a few floating around). Cons is the size for sure for me. I am 6'4" and like to be able to stretch out. Flip Pac wen open allows your legs to hang over the opening (bed of the truck) while Wildnernest is a bowl-type bed with tens on both ends, so not able to stretch.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Oh ok gotcha. Thanks for the response. I'm a little shorter than you so I need to be taking things like this into consideration. The searching begins.

billy bee

Adventurer
I prefer the FP over the Wildernest b/c I'd does flip over the cab/hood. When camping in tight spaces you know if your truck will fit, you will be able to open the lid (if you don't have any overhanging branches). I often camp among coastal oaks and that makes a difference.

I agree that some shade is nice, but that can easily be added to the side of a FP if the space allows. Further, the FP is still supported by the manufacturer. A Wildernest might well last a long time, but you're never going to find parts for it.

You might also consider a RTT...

bb

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input, BB. I'm still on the fence about a RTT. I think they are pretty cool but I dont think I would use it as much. Whereas with a FP type top I can still store all my off road and camping gear, my surf/dive gear and still have the sleeping option.

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94