Freezer security ideas?

michaelh712

I recently purchased an Engle 45 to use in my truck or small trailer. The truck is military and has canvas sides. The trailer, when setup, has a tent on top.
I'm interested in ideas for securing the Engle in either situation. Please share your ideas and especially photos if possible. Thanks, in advance; this forum is a great resource.

michaelh712

The Engle has side handles, but these are just screwed on, so any cable-like solution through the handles would not be secure. Looking for ideas either to attach something to the shell that could not be easily removed to perhaps attach cable or??????

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
If I had my fridge on the open end of a truck or trailer... I would try to build a box where the fridge slides into.
This would serve for protection against thieves and weather.
Only way I see securing your fridge is to drill holes and add anchor points to to it, but this would not keep it from moving around.

Good luck !!!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
The four feet on an Engel are bolted in, make some holes in the trailer bed silicone and bolt it down using security torx.

Or add a couple of steel tabs out from the feet, with slots like a padlock hasp
Bolt the rings to the bed or the truck and padlock down

Gren_T

Adventurer
there are a few options, you can use the transit ties from Engel, these replace the handles and can be used with chain or cables etc or you can use a slide loc this bolts to the bed and the fridge feet lock into it.

both options available via Engel dealer or Ebay etc.

regards
Gren

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
The Engle has side handles, but these are just screwed on, so any cable-like solution through the handles would not be secure. Looking for ideas either to attach something to the shell that could not be easily removed to perhaps attach cable or??????

If they remove the handles, how are they supposed to lift it?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
An option you might consider is what we did in my Chaser overhaul with a National Luna 74L fridge. As was mentioned above, the feet on the Engel are threaded in. You could use this to your advantage. Create a base plate same size or a bit larger than the fridge. 3/4" ply works well. Drill holes in the base to match the foot layout, and attach the base to the fridge. Now you can opt to mount the base to your vehicle either from underneath or from the top. From underneath, you would drill hole through the bed and secure the base with t-nut inserts in the base. From above, make the base larger than the fridge leaving enough material for mounting holes on each end. Drill the bed and insert riv-nuts, and bolt it down from the top. Either way will work. Thieves rarely carry socket sets with them.

Cheers,

Vinman

Observer
Another option would be to replace the handle screws with stainless steel rivets then use a cable lock through the now (reasonably) secure handle.

dms1

Explorer
I replaced the handle screws with rivits and added one more in the middle of the two existing screws.

HappyCamper12

Engel Fridge Security

Hi guys, had some trouble with Engel Fridges going missing recently from our work ute's. Found this company in Dubbo making Engel Fridge Boxes that can bolt onto a tray or to a slide/lock system.
My boss bought 3 of the 40L boxes and they are extremely good quality. We bought powder coated versions, but they have made stainless steel and aluminium before according to there website 'Gallery'.
I am pretty impressed with the quality and features, we thought it was just going to be an empty box but the lid has conceiled hinges to prevent removal when locked, gas strut lid opener, rubber dust seals and louvered vents, there is even some feet holders/locators in the base to stop the fridge sliding around when travelling.
Although, the cost wasn't to high, but when looking at replacing the fridge and extending the life of it, these were a top investment
hope this helped,.....see their website gallery: www.alloywelding.com.au

Cheers boys!

highdesertranger

Adventurer
as someone else already stated replace the screws on the handles with torx anti tamper. someone else also stated you can't stop a thief just slow them down, very true. out of sight is the best. if the thief doesn't know it's there it will not get stolen. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94