Dewalt Tough System cases

bluehash

Adventurer
I looked at the dewalt stackable and they seem cheap. I don't like that you have to buy the dolly of you want wheels. The latches to tie the dewalt together wasn't as strong compared to ridge. I have this set and the bottom box has wheels and handle built in. Makes for a slimmer design.
Sell these at Home Depot. Can do different configurations.

92605a132243af7d9ddee884d37d62e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the topmost one. You can take out the cover under the lid to get more space. 4-5 of these would fit perfectly on my gobi rack and just the right size not to get overfilled.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have the topmost one. You can take out the cover under the lid to get more space. 4-5 of these would fit perfectly on my gobi rack and just the right size not to get overfilled.

I heard you couldn't do that on the new ones. I'll have look at mine again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
I picked up a mix of all three sizes of the Ridgid boxes to experiment with. I compared them with the DeWalt stuff side by side and the DeWalt definately felt more durable and better made, but at a price premium. Since I'm not sure I'll stick with this I decided to try the cheaper but nearly as nice Ridgid.
A couple of initial impressions after getting them home. First, the inner structure of the lids prevents you from using the full height. I suspect they put the grid in them to add strength, but it costs you a good 1.5" of internal height. One possible work around may be if I can find a netting to secure over the grid in the lid and then stash small bottles/containers in the spaces. Since one of the things I'm planning to use the boxes for is galley gear, things like sugar, creamer, salt, pepper, etc would fit in those small spaces well if I find a way to secure them.
Second, the largest box is really a lot of wasted space. The wheels mean you can't stack it nice and tight against an interior wall in the cargo compartment and the handle doesn't retract fully down. Those two items will likely mean I'll return this one even though I like the size and the fact that the lid comes fully off. I have no need for wheels or a handle so for me they're just wasted space.

V85562A

That grid system on the lid, ridges out the outside (reducing space for mounting external switches and displays), hardware quality is the reason I went Dewalt (solar generator).

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I looked at the dewalt stackable and they seem cheap. I don't like that you have to buy the dolly of you want wheels. The latches to tie the dewalt together wasn't as strong compared to ridge. I have this set and the bottom box has wheels and handle built in. Makes for a slimmer design.
Sell these at Home Depot. Can do different configurations.

I can't comment on the dolly design or the way they tie together as I have never used them that way. But I can say the Dewalt Tough System boxes themselves are tough as hell.

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
I picked up a mix of all three sizes of the Ridgid boxes to experiment with. I compared them with the DeWalt stuff side by side and the DeWalt definately felt more durable and better made, but at a price premium. Since I'm not sure I'll stick with this I decided to try the cheaper but nearly as nice Ridgid.
A couple of initial impressions after getting them home. First, the inner structure of the lids prevents you from using the full height. I suspect they put the grid in them to add strength, but it costs you a good 1.5" of internal height. One possible work around may be if I can find a netting to secure over the grid in the lid and then stash small bottles/containers in the spaces. Since one of the things I'm planning to use the boxes for is galley gear, things like sugar, creamer, salt, pepper, etc would fit in those small spaces well if I find a way to secure them.
Second, the largest box is really a lot of wasted space. The wheels mean you can't stack it nice and tight against an interior wall in the cargo compartment and the handle doesn't retract fully down. Those two items will likely mean I'll return this one even though I like the size and the fact that the lid comes fully off. I have no need for wheels or a handle so for me they're just wasted space.

I'm researching storage now, so I just priced the Dewalt boxes out on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWST17806-TSTAK-Deep-Box/dp/B00CBY2EIO

() is the lowest Amazon price recorded by Camelcamelcamel:

DWST17804 2-Drawer: $32.99 ($30.00)
DWST17806 Deep Box: $27.99 ($27.99)
DWST17803 Deep Drawer: $25.99 ($25.99)
DWST17805 Expansion Organizer: $24.99 ($24.99)
DWST17807 Flat Top: $19.99 ($14.00)
DWST17808 Long Handle: $24.99 ($21.00)

No $25-off-$100, but if anybody's in the market for some at a solid price, there you go.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I'm researching storage now, so I just priced the Dewalt boxes out on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWST17806-TSTAK-Deep-Box/dp/B00CBY2EIO

() is the lowest Amazon price recorded by Camelcamelcamel:

DWST17804 2-Drawer: $32.99 ($30.00)
DWST17806 Deep Box: $27.99 ($27.99)
DWST17803 Deep Drawer: $25.99 ($25.99)
DWST17805 Expansion Organizer: $24.99 ($24.99)
DWST17807 Flat Top: $19.99 ($14.00)
DWST17808 Long Handle: $24.99 ($21.00)

No $25-off-$100, but if anybody's in the market for some at a solid price, there you go.
It is confusing, but those are the TSTAK boxes, which are a little different and I think not as sturdy as the Tough System boxes like this
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWST08...Y4t+B5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Great cases. just not really designed inside for auto motive tools. You have to get creative with organizing inside. Left mine several times in and inch or so of water and mud over night without issues.

Norda

I've been in construction for over 10 years and beat these boxes and they stand up to it all I've had them for 4 years and they hardly show it. I agree and would emphasize the you would have to be a bit creative to organize automotive tools in them. Over all great boxes!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior