1st Gen Cummins survival truck build thread

flyin6

Observer
Wow i just finished all 755 pages!!!! (literally)

Great build man!!!

Are you reading it on Duramax Forums or on my site, Real Man TruckWorks and Survival.com?

Because if you read it on D-max forums, that is old information and you now have hundreds of more pages to get through to bring you up to date!

I am getting close to starting it up for the very first time. Most of the wiring harness is sorted, and now the transmission lines are finished. I have some electrical stuff, fluids, and a couple other odds and ends to get done before it starts making noise.

Then I'll either rip out the rear suspension (again) and install the new Silverado 2500HD 64" rear springs or get the fenders and snorkel and hood on.

After all that it gets the aux fuel tank and armored up bumpers and side skirting. That's when it will get heavy and you'll see why it needed to have 1400 ft/lbs of torque!

SLAYERMIKE

I also went through all 755 pages and then everything on your site over the last couple weeks. Awesome build! Very similar to the build I've been planning for a while. Sucks having to do things twice as you dig deeper and deeper but it will be so nice knowing everything is done and done right.

flyin6

Observer
I also went through all 755 pages and then everything on your site over the last couple weeks. Awesome build! Very similar to the build I've been planning for a while. Sucks having to do things twice as you dig deeper and deeper but it will be so nice knowing everything is done and done right.

Good for you!

Yea, I would have done things the way I currently am if in the beginning I knew that the "Oil Change" project was going to turn into what it has.

Thing is though, this truck has become almost everything an expedition/survival vehicle needs to be. It will be useful to me for the rest of my life.

I should get the engine fired up soon, then it's on to getting the rest of the body parts installed, then the longer rear springs, then the bumper(s) build and armor.

I should get done this decade!

flyin6

Observer
Getting a lot done this past week.

Dual batteries are in along with the Battery Isolation switch.

Today I resurrected "Fraken-Snorkel" and fitted it to the new right fenderIMG_4377 (Large).JPGIMG_4375 (Large).JPGIMG_4354 (Large).JPG

flyin6

Observer
The work continues

Much in terms of hours has been done. I am closing in on the wiring. Getting ever closer to starting the new engine, but still lacking a couple of crucial details. Back into body work and painting of the last pieces. The hood and fenders required modification for vent panels to provide more cooling for the installation of a new power steering cooler and filter setup, and provide more cooling for that big turbocharger on that Cummins engine

Attachments

• IMG_4781 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4781 (Large).JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4737 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4737 (Large).JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4733 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4733 (Large).JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4659 (Large).JPG
    IMG_4659 (Large).JPG