1st Gen Cummins survival truck build thread

flyin6

Observer
I have been building this Dodge truck to back up my already capable Chevy 2011 Silverado 2500 HD which is highly modified. Some may think it fits well into the expedition truck category, and that is fine, but that is not the intent or purpose.

The Dodge truck was started as a backup to the Chevy for the two months I feel it will take to install a linked up HPD60 front axle.

Well, the Dodge, dubbed, "Square D" has turned into a complete restoration/build all at once

Anyway, with over 200 pages over there already with hundreds of pics, it is just too much work to move over here. But I thought my friends here on the portal might benefit from sharing in the knowledge and build experience.

For those of you following the Chevy build which now approaches 1,000,000 views and numbers over 750 pages (7,500+ posts) you know that truck as a technology demonstrator.

Square D is very different. It is strictly mechanical and EMP proof old school. It will still function the same with or without an alternator and a battery. That theme opened up some previously forgotten and rusted shut doors of information of a by-gone era of utter simplicity (And reliability).

So, here's the link, enjoy and participate as you care to:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=458.0

Last edited:

m715

If you like 1st gen Dodge diesels its well worth going to take a look at the build.
Attention to detail and documentation is impressive.

Great build, keep up the good work!

flyin6

Observer
Thanks, appreciate the kind words.

The builds represent my interpretation of a "Survival Truck Build"
That is based on a couple (Few) decades of off roading and building various trucks and over 5 years spent in The "Stan" and Iraq.

Seeing what appears to be the slippery slope scenario with respect to our nation, It is not a "Wee bit crazy" to be building such a vehicle

The Dodge represents the low tech approach. the Duramax truck represents the other end of the spectrum. I don't know which is or will be better, but only one will answer roll call should any EMP effect ever be felt here.

Either truck dovetails neatly into the Expedition theme and I would likely join in with expo members festivities should time allow.

Here's the links again

Low tech:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=83.0High tech:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=122.0
Feel free to join in the discussion.

Last edited:

flyin6

Observer
Well, I said I'd do it

And I did

My site:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com

Something like this, but adventure is not the focus

Site Name

Real-Man-TruckWorks-and Survival.com

Food, tactics, builds, trucks, bikes, camping, weapons, food canning, hide sites, emer medical, intelligence, military subjects, data base and lots of DOT comments (Derailer of threads!)

About a month old, really still in beta phase as I figure out how to deal with all the spammers and set things up...couple thousand posts deep with this truck build and others

Come on over and visit...we will continue to drop in here as well

flyin6

Observer
The truck build is moving right along

The 600HP rebuilt engine, built trans and rebuilt NP205 are all reinstalled. It got a partially boxed frame, and a new crossmember. The truck also got longer front springs and is getting 64" rear springs to increase suspension travel. The axles have lockers in both ends and now the wiring harness and front clip is going back on.
It's been quite a project so far!IMG_3828 (Large).JPGIMG_3829 (Large).JPG

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I went to your link and read the first page. Somehow I doubt I'm going to be able to get through the other 754 pages (!!!!!) any time soon. The truck looks amazing though!

Kaisen

Explorer
That Duramax forum is excruciatingly slow. It loaded a page a minute, if that. Luckily, I went to your site and the pages loaded within seconds. I was able to make it through the entire 5 part build (so far) and read every post. Took me quite a while, but it was fun. Great build! It seems to have strayed a bit from a simple pure-mechanical bug out build. But awesome nonetheless.

flyin6

Observer
I went to your link and read the first page. Somehow I doubt I'm going to be able to get through the other 754 pages (!!!!!) any time soon. The truck looks amazing though!

It's definitely very detailed

I wrote it that way to show others how to do all this. Through that thread you can learn how to install a locker, stiffen a chassis, do body work, rebuild a transfer case, build traction bars, add things like sway bars and longer springs and a host of other tasks.

Most people are intimated by a project this size simply because of the labor. I mean who could afford to have someone do something like this. "Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" is the theme behind all the detail which has expanded this project to short of a thousand pages.

So, daunting it is indeed. However on the flip side, it is also rich in DYI information

Happy browsing!

flyin6

Observer
That Duramax forum is excruciatingly slow. It loaded a page a minute, if that. Luckily, I went to your site and the pages loaded within seconds. I was able to make it through the entire 5 part build (so far) and read every post. Took me quite a while, but it was fun. Great build! It seems to have strayed a bit from a simple pure-mechanical bug out build. But awesome nonetheless.

I'm using an advanced web site builder called "Simple Machines" that, well, simplifies most operations. That means that there is less storage for me to pay for and faster load times for you.

Yea that truck turned from being a back up truck to the 2011 Silverado to being the primary bad times vehicle. Reason being was the 91 Dodges utter simplicity. No computer, on electronics, and not much technology at all save the mechanical stuff. That makes it impervious to EMP and a lot more reliable. Other bennies is it's 6500 net vehicle weight vs the 8700 the chebby carries around and incredible mileage for a 3/4-1 ton truck.

While al that was going on I decided to create the "Real-Man" organization. The Dodge began to serve a secondary purpose as a "Low-technology demonstrator" to show builders what a tactical vehicle of that theme ought to look like. Conversely, the Duramax Silverado serves as the "High technology demonstrator" and is also written about in detail in the vehicle section.

flyin6

Observer
Love the truck and i am slowing going through the 7000+ pages lol

Cool! Glad you like the project.

Depending on where you are in the read, you are gonna be pleasantly surprised when you get caught up, me thinks.

Join in the fray over there, you're always welcome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles