Windows 8.1 tablet for in vehicle nav?

smiper

Observer
My life runs on Windows- 8.1, RT, and Phone 8. I'd love to also run an 8.1 tablet in my vehicle for navigation. The new 8" pro devices look perfect- small form factor, built in GPS, full software compatibility.

Is anyone using a Windows device for this? How's it going? What apps are you using? Is the onboard GPS hardware working out for you?

the59sound

Observer
I use my nokia 822 for any type of road trip when a gps is needed. it has the here navigation that doesn't use your data. as far as off road stuff i'm going on a trip at the end of January where there is no cell towers so i'll let you know how it turns out.

reece146

Automotive Artist
The hardware platform is really irrelevant. Pick your preferred application and then pick the correct hardware to run it.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
I wanted a tablet to replace myold dell atg. I have had good success with the asus t100. I have an old school setup. Garmin C60 handheld with the garmin cable to usb to provide the gps. 10 inch is really as small as id like to go.

Annoyances with my setup, lack of USB when undocked. There is a micro usb on the tablet but then i lose the ability to charge while connected to the gps. I might see about upgrading the c60 to a bluetooth gps.

I have recently acquired a dell venue pro with 8.1 and so far have Overland Navigator running on it, I plan to use a belkin wifi usb hub to connect to my globalsat usb gps puck or just get a bluetooth gps puck. This will give me a bit more options for storing offline map packs for both ON as well as streets and trips.

Last edited:

Maverick1701

Adventurer
I run my nokia900 phone for road nav...as stated above it has an app that doesn't need any data connection to run.

I also run my andriod tablet but the thread is about windows based products.

KellyM

Adventurer
I have recently acquired a dell venue pro with 8.1 and so far have Overland Navigator running on it, I plan to use a belkin wifi usb hub to connect to my globalsat usb gps puck or just get a bluetooth gps puck. This will give me a bit more options for storing offline map packs for both ON as well as streets and trips.

Have you had any compatibility issues between ON and Windows 8.1? I am thinking of going this route.

Thanks.

smiper

Observer
Encouraging to see this thread pick up some momentum.

Expedition 4x4- Looking forward to hearing how this works out!
the59sound- Lots of Windows users were I'm at (Seattle), though I really am a convert these days.

soul

Observer
I am one of the few with everything only Nokia or Microsoft in the family. The phone is Lumia 1020, with its awesome camera and Here Maps installed to work without Cell service.
The tablet is Surface 2 and Laptop is Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Every machine runs Windows 8.1, with profile sync for all users.

Frankly am very happy with it. Skydrive (to be renamed Onedrive) is awesome, so is OneNote and all the "Web" office stuff that is free. The kids accounts are marked "child" account, so automatic web filtering, time limitations, application filter and curfew.

This year will invest in 8 inch tablet, no rush so will wait for Microsoft to come up with Surface 8 inch.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Im in the same boat. I run all windows equipment. I have 2 Samsung ativ s, 2 dell venue pro 11s, a HP touchsmart home system. That being said, I am not sure if im going to try to get my dell rigged up for nav, or use my acer 210. I am going to run Bluetooth gps unit to have more accurate, and faster gps lock. I think im going to run the acer. backcountry nav is pretty good. I am probably going to put a 120 gb ssd in a usb enclosure to load maps onto. I have one in my notebook now that the venue is replacing so I am going to put a normal HDD in to sell.

18seeds

Explorer
I just got the surface pro 2 and it's the tits. Complete laptop replacement but doesn't really replace my ipad mini with lte. I had a Lenovo think tab tablet but the intel atom processor was to sluggish to use as a laptop, it would fine for light use. I'm still getting used to windows 8 but it seems workable

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Its great. I have it on everything I own now. Im anxiously waiting for my two dell venue's order them last Monday. I hope thy ship soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94