Why aren't popup's more popular?

98roamer

Explorer
Personally speaking the size is my biggest issue. I've been hunting for a Coleman Colorado size popup (for two people and a dog) that comes in under the 1,000lb mark, can hold a weekend's worth of gear, and stand up to regular washboard dirt roads. The Somerset E2 mentioned above along with most pop ups currently on the market are too big.

Another factor is definitely cost... something like the Livinlite Quicksilver 6.0 or Jeep branded version comes in around the $6 to $10k mark. My current off-road trailer cost $2,500 without an RTT.

I have a Coachman Clipper 1275ST and the size is way too big (granted this was their largest model) and cost can get out of control real quick, when maintenance is factored in. Now my wife and I can set up the popup for just sleeping in 20 minutes (our best time) when we need to a quick overnight. They are just not made to do many offroad trips and still be usable. Cheap, light weight, durable; pick 2 of the 3

The popup model is just another solution for camping, not real popular but it fits a role. We enjoy the ease of towing and the tent like feel of camping, something you don't get in a Hybrid or a full travel trailer, IMO. We also get a Queen and King size bed with an inside toilet, so it's a base camp; here is the east we are pretty restricted to campgrounds anyway.

luk4mud

Explorer
Love those Jumping Jacks. If I were at the young kid stage of life that would be the #1 option on my list. At the almost empty nester stage instead, we want something with a comfy like home bed for momma that we can still take into remote areas.

dnellans

Adventurer
There is a somerset dealer just down the road from us here in Round Rock, TX so I got a chance to look at them extensively while considering options. They're definitely a step up in quality from the rockwood, or coachman brands. They look slightly better built than the jayco baja series as well but I liked
the floorplan of the jayco's better when thinking about getting the smallest one they have. I don't think you can go wrong with a Somerset in terms of quality if you're willing to cough up for the price =)

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Western PA is the place for pop ups. Coleman, got kinda got ruined by fleetwood and the good folks there reopend it as http://www.somersetrv.com/campers/E2. That brings me to Aliner, also made in Western PA. They are hard sides, set up in less than 3 mins, and have a mild "offroad" version. The frame is 2x3 ret tubing, it has a torsion axle and is very well built. You do not have to worry about the tents getting jacked or being less secure. They have options for showers and toilets and capiable of sleeping 5-6 people depending on configuration.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
The jumping jacks are nice and simple. I would like a beefed up pop-up though. Wonder how much I really would end up with in re-building an older unit.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
The jumping jacks are nice and simple. I would like a beefed up pop-up though. Wonder how much I really would end up with in re-building an older unit.

That was my thought. I definitely lean towards the popup, but wanted the expo community to chime in with their thoughts before pulling the trigger. Here was my rough cost analysis for parts in my area. Keep in mind, I am a craigslist guy and scour that site daily so im pretty confident about being able to find these items for close to what I post for cost. I also used cost figures from my last Coleman build. Your mileage may vary.

1980's era Coleman popup (smaller model with 8' box) - $500-1000 depending on condition
New 3500# axle kit with leaf springs, hangers, etc. - $250
Used tires and wheels (atleast 29" -32") - $150
Paint, flooring, and fabric for interior - $150
Steel to beef up frame - $50

As a rough estimate, I would be looking at $600 in improvements and upgrades above the $500-1000 for the camper. That leaves me in the $1100-1600 range for a reasonably equipped trailer. Even if you were to add on another $500 in improvements for fenders, new plywood for beds, trailer jacks, etc., you still come in around $2000 which seems like a decent price.

I appreciate everyone chiming in with their opinions and experience, its interesting to see how one thing may or may not work for certain people based on their needs. I will say this though, theres nothing cooler than the look of a ************ rig with a RTT opened up on the roof :)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Take your best guess at the cost and then double it. That usually covers all the stuff you didn't think about. I think you are light in the refurb materials (steel, fabric, canvas, foam, sheeting , etc.)
Still, that puts you in the $3500-$5000 range. Granted you could get lucky, or be very frugal and do it for your estimate.

A worthy project if you have the time , space and skill for such a project. If you have to outsource much of it, it will get expensive in a hurry.

Also consider what your time is worth. If you can find something a little more expensive that requires less work, that time spent building could be spent exploring. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the build. My family enjoys the time exploring. I need to balance those two to keep everyone happy.

nmzj

For a family of 5, a pop up is looking better and better for our situation. I don't like the idea of the kids in one RTT while the wife and I are in another. Right now, we are using a small 4'x4' trailer and a large tent. I like the idea of being able to set up a trailer on my own when with the older boys (7 and 5) which I can't do with the current tent.

98roamer

Explorer
Most older popup have had some type of leak, mostly likely a roof leak. Factor in the cost of fixing all the damage a leak will cause.

dnellans

Adventurer
I think $600 is wildly optimistic for actual cost on a rebuild but more power to you if you can do it for that! =)

I just dropped $800 after tax for 3 new aluminum rims + BFG AT 215/75r15 tires for my jumping jack. I certainly could have kept the stock rims and bought stock jaxxon replacements for only $80 each, but thats still $250 for replacement tires alone on a 1980's pop up. Interior carpet and/or vinyl $100, matresses that old typically need new filling, not just patch work on the covers, $200-400, if you want to actually rebuild any of the cabinetry inside, cherry faced melamine or ply will cost you $80/sheet. figure 2 sheets minimum, probably more like 4 by the time you're done, another $250.

when I considered it all - my estimated rebuild cost was $2000+ and that was before i started adding "features" i wanted - new propane stove mount to outside of unit, additional lighting, new canvas, etc.

Bebop_Man

My in-laws gave us a hand-me-down pop-up, a '94 Fleetwood Destiny. I'm pulling it behind an '86 Ford Bronco, so the first thing I did was flip the axle (for 3" of height), make my own lift blocks (for another 3" of height) and then pult on larger tires, going from 20" to 25". All told it rides about 8" higher than stock which is enough for me to pull it level with an 8" drop hitch.

2013-06-29_13-09-34_497.jpg

There's still a couple things I need to do. Better steps and replace the stabilzer legs and the jackstand. For my wife and I, it works quite well. and it's much more comfortable than sleeping bags and an air matress.

2013-07-04_19-27-46_524.jpg

luk4mud

Explorer
There is something about the older pop ups that is so appealing. Not enough for me to own one but that one looks so good behind your rig with the flipped axle etc. And if momma is happy camping, all is well with the world.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
And if momma is happy camping, all is well with the world.

BINGO!

My last Coleman camper cost $700 with great canvas and decent cabinets. I flipped the axle, recovered all the mattresses and cushions, put a new piece of indoor outdoor carpet in, beefed up and painted cabinets, painted exterior, resealed roof, repacked bearings and replaced the countertop. At the end of the build, trailer included, I was only in $1100 and sold it for $1350 a year later. I think a big part of the discussion is the fact that we all have different standards of what is an acceptable build. While im not interested in putting cherry faced plywood cabinets or spending $800 on brand new alloys and tires, I also dont want this to look like garbage. My standards fall somewhere in the middle. I want the cabinets to look decent, but have no issue using scrap wood from a lumber yard and putting a nice coat of pain on it, or picking up used tires and wheels with decent tread. To each his own, i guess, thats what makes this site so much fun to look through, all the variety!

Thanks to all who have chimed in, its cool to see what others are doing, keep posting up pics of customized popups, im loving seeing them!

dnellans

Adventurer
Agree - that think looks awesome. After looking at probably a half dozen old pop ups that people wanted 2-3k for and all had significant water or canvas damage, I gave up on that idea. If I could have found something like yours for less than 1k I definitely would have gone that route and left my cash in the bank!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94