Why aren't popup's more popular?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Title pretty much says it all, why aren't small popups more popular? Im in the process of looking for an older Coleman popup and doing some work to make it a nice camping trailer. I dont do long expeditions, but dont see why this type of setup wouldn't be a reasonable platform for light expo use. In my area they can be had for under $1000 in decent shape, and with an axle swap/flip and some larger tires, they are more than capable on dirt roads and/or easy trails. Beyond that, sewing up new cushion covers, putting in a new floor and beefing up the cabinets is pretty inexpensive. I was considering a military trailer build, but the cost of the trailer and RTT alone would blow my budget. Just seems like they are a good platform to start with but I want to get your opinions before I get in over my head and realize why I shouldnt have gone that route. So what do you guys think?

Grasslakeron

Explorer
Most small cars cant pull them. Most people are buying small cars. Camping has not been permotied as in years past. A whole generation seems to be wanting a xbox over the outdoors...add it all up and goodbye pop-up.

Ron

bonomonster

Adventurer
I think what the OP is asking is; Why not a lifted and modified pop up over something like an M101A with a roof top tent?

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
I think what the OP is asking is; Why not a lifted and modified pop up over something like an M101A with a roof top tent?

Exactly. Dont get me wrong, those are sweet setups and are more offroad capable, im sure, but for us weekend warriors looking to get out for a few nights and want a decent setup at a reasonable cost, why not look at an older/remodeled popup?

daveh

Adventurer
Some of the pluses I have found regarding a pop-up -
being able to stand up inside to change - lots of head room.
having a place to sit vs a RTT.
Electric outlets if shore power is available.
A place for gear storage while traveling.
Not having to pack up before hitting the trails like you would with a RTT.
On down side I wouldn't take it on a serious trail which makes it more of a base camp but that works ok for us.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I moved from a very capable offroad trailer w/RTT to a "Pop-up".

The differences are many. The little offroad trailer would go anywhere the truck would go, even in 4x4. The bigger pop-up is more of a move to a base camp type trip. Take the pop-up in as far as comfortable and disconnect to travel in 4x4.

Example: We pulled the offroad trailer through all the trails in Moab.
IMGP0366.JPG

Even a deep river crossing. I would not do that with our E1. Instead we would likely set it as a base camp at the top of the mining road. Now, that does not mean it is not capable of going into the rough.
fl18.JPG

We winched through snow drifts with it to camp last spring.

I have found each has its pros and cons.

I think our family has moved to the pop-up and there is no going back. A table to sit at inside when it is miserable outside. Standing up to get dressed in a warm room.

Cost wise, I think they are very close. We had less invested into the offroad trailer , than we have in the E1. Overall I think they would come down to preference all being equal.

Some things to keep in mind about a pop-up. Many were not designed with a boxed frame and suspension mounts that will handle the rigors of offroad. They may not be as "tight" sealed from the dusts? Staples don't do well on washboard. You don't want it rattling apart.

We are happy with ours and I think it is almost fixed up to that "Happy Place". No going back :)

Last edited:

madmax718

Explorer
I seriously looked at the neon's before deciding against it.

Originally: I wanted a small pop up, that can be towed with my sedan. It fit the bill. It had heat, and some models have AC. But I live in the East coast. Its not like I pull it offroad-. I enjoy exploring, and seeing new things, but having a pop up (in particular):

1. A trailer. Harder to backup, harder to find a place to park, harder to find a parking lot that will accomidate you. (in terms of urban exploration).
2. Its a pop up- it doesnt offer the safety and security of a hard side. You cant stop at a rest stop or a walmart for a few hours of sleep. This was the biggest nail in the coffin. I still have to work for a living, and time is money. If I leave straight after work, and drive til the wee hours, I just want a place to sleep. Without a trailer, I can drive faster, and more comfortably, better fuel economy.
3. Additional maintainace issues. While few, and minor, there is still some.
4. your almost exclusively trapped to camp grounds in the N/E.

As a self proclaimed weekend warrior myself, There's only a few true reasons why I would want a pop up:
#1. A bed. Like an actual mattress is pretty nice!
#2. A toilet. But a small pop up's toilet is non existant, or is a bucket.
#3. A shower. Not really available in a small pop up either. Its "outside" at best.

I do see a lot of interesting changes- and two things stand out for me; the "1 minute" tents, providing stand up height (at least in the center), removes the multitude of poles, and other factors from a regular tent. The second thing is the vehicle awnings. The awning, combined with the sides, gives you pop up livability. Screend in, area to sit and cook, a bed platform in vehicle. has most of your bases covered.

RangerDanger

Pop-Ups?

Title pretty much says it all, why aren't small popups more popular? Im in the process of looking for an older Coleman popup and doing some work to make it a nice camping trailer. I dont do long expeditions, but dont see why this type of setup wouldn't be a reasonable platform for light expo use. In my area they can be had for under $1000 in decent shape, and with an axle swap/flip and some larger tires, they are more than capable on dirt roads and/or easy trails. Beyond that, sewing up new cushion covers, putting in a new floor and beefing up the cabinets is pretty inexpensive. I was considering a military trailer build, but the cost of the trailer and RTT alone would blow my budget. Just seems like they are a good platform to start with but I want to get your opinions before I get in over my head and realize why I shouldnt have gone that route. So what do you guys think?

A couple of companies have attempted to market "off-road" pop-ups. The Jayco Baja and the 3 models of the Fleetwood Evolution are examples of these attempts.
I believe Fleetwood either went out of business, was bought out or just stopped making the Evolutions. The Baja seems to be still available.
I can't attest to their ruggedness but I now the Evolutions use 6" tubular frames which should handle quite a bit abuse.
Historically, pop-ups have been viewed as entry level campers with most owners graduating to hard- sided campers when they get tired of dealing with set-up and tear- down and want a semi real toilet and shower. Used Off Road pop-ups like the ones mentioned can often be more expensive than their larger, more convenient, more comfortable hard- sided counterparts.
Personally, having slept on the ground all my life, my 48 yr old back would love a pop-up. I have decied however that once I get back from Afghanistan, I am going to build an Off Road Teardrop for me and my wife. Who knows, I may end up wanting stand up room and graduate to a pop-up.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The biggest problem with pop up trailers in my area is RODENT damage.
Many people buy these trailers and store them inside but do not go the full way to deter mice getting in and destroying the canvas.

One hole in the center of a canvas panel and it could cost a few hundred dollars to repair.
The other problem is that they are built cheaply and shake apart on rough roads.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I think the main reason is just that they limit where you can go offroad. Even the more capable ones are pretty big. That's atleast why I don't have any interest in a pop up right now.

luk4mud

Explorer
I owned one years ago with small kids. Set up was a 1 to 2 hour process, sometimes longer if I could not get it level. Because it always had to be broken down, everything when set up is at midget height. Makes my back hurt stooping all the time. Plus the wheel and hub fell off mine heading down I-5.

Xrunner

Explorer
Personally speaking the size is my biggest issue. I've been hunting for a Coleman Colorado size popup (for two people and a dog) that comes in under the 1,000lb mark, can hold a weekend's worth of gear, and stand up to regular washboard dirt roads. The Somerset E2 mentioned above along with most pop ups currently on the market are too big.

Another factor is definitely cost... something like the Livinlite Quicksilver 6.0 or Jeep branded version comes in around the $6 to $10k mark. My current off-road trailer cost $2,500 without an RTT.

dnellans

Adventurer
Cost was my biggest decision recently to purchase a jumping jack. I grew up in a late 70's coleman popup that had nothing besides a table and two beds in it, this is basically what the jumping jack is... The modern (even "offroad") popups have fridges, stoves, bbqs, stereos, hot water heaters, propane heaters, toilets, and showers. While all those thing are nice, those are also sort of the things that separate camping from not camping in my mind. In our area, $3,000 will buy you a total piece of crap that needs the interior scrapped. I figured I would be 2,000 into the project just to get it back to two beds and a table. That is how we decided to go for the 5k used jumping jack with all the accessories, it is the "modern" equiv of a very basic moderately offroad capable pop-up these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles