Why aren't popup's more popular?

libarata

Expedition Leader
The wet canvas problem exists wiht RTT's too.

Its that time of the year here in the PNW, and its a pain to try to get the tent dry sometimes, I dont have anywhere dry and warm to park my truck and open the tent.

The PNW is a special case when it comes to fabric though. You almost need to fully immerse the fabric in a waterproofing agent BEFORE the season. I saw where a family crafted an all around tarp to the top of their PUP that extended 1ft out from everything of the PUP. It just buttoned on, and was held up 7 poles that clipped to the body.

java

Expedition Leader
The PNW is a special case when it comes to fabric though. You almost need to fully immerse the fabric in a waterproofing agent BEFORE the season. I saw where a family crafted an all around tarp to the top of their PUP that extended 1ft out from everything of the PUP. It just buttoned on, and was held up 7 poles that clipped to the body.

Still cant fold it up wet though. But yes we are special around here.....

trae

Adventurer
Still cant fold it up wet though. But yes we are special around here.....

You can fold it up wet, but there's certainly an expectation that you'll dry it out shortly, otherwise mold. My parents borrowed mine for a long weekend, and it's been raining pretty much non stop for 8 days. It was dry for about 7 hours yesterday. We had to open it up, wipe it down to facilitate drying and closed it up again. It's been raining again since then.

Petrolburner

Explorer
My pop up can go up or down in less than a minute, I do it all the time. No wet canvas to pack up either and a locking door.

10352990_10100691173610053_7229634526525379021_n.jpg

10300530_10100589410319503_1626980053382270606_n.jpg

trae

Adventurer
Love it, Petrolburner!

Trailmanors are also an option, another fancy popup that would be doable year round in PNW:

smarttrailer.jpg

However you can't beat price/space ratio for tent trailers.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have to waterproof mine again now. Was out in rain for awhile, and I let it air dry for a few weeks, and now I have it collapsed and put away.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
We ran into a little confusion/trouble on Flagpole camping... I would do your own research before going. We were told by a ranger that no vehicle camping was permitted... however not one person that i have spoken with can verify his statement.. We are still awaiting clarity...

Truck camped up there a few times now. Never had any issue or heard of any and I know several guys that go there camping fairly often. Will do some research, but I sure would not take that single rangers word as gospel.

java

Expedition Leader
Love it, Petrolburner!

Trailmanors are also an option, another fancy popup that would be doable year round in PNW:

smarttrailer.jpg

However you can't beat price/space ratio for tent trailers.

Are those based off the ol HiLo ones? I didnt realize someone was making that design still. I saw one on the freeway one time and thought it was neat!

libarata

Expedition Leader
I looked at the weights of the trail manors. They are too much weight for my Forester. They look awesome though!

grogie

Like to Camp

I ran into a guy at a campground recently with a new Aliner. He told me that it replaced a 20 year old pop-up, and his wife and him love it. He said it's so much easier to setup and get into. He complained about the time and effort it took just to get the old pop-up stocked or later clean up before/after camping. The Aliner did look really nice.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Im with a majority of you guys, I have 3 kids now all under the age of 5. Done the ground tent, slept in the truck, rtt, offroad teardrop. Will be a lot easier to take care of their needs.
1e5e7ba065f80d40954ca4de332fcfed.jpg

98b546bb64708182e8e0bd8814e7626b.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Pop ups are great. They are lightweight and have lots of space once setup. I was going to buy a big high side pop up, but since I am getting an F150 now, I am going to pick up a puma full size, with a rear cargo, bunk, kids play room. We saw one for sale here and fell in love with it for everyday camping. For the times we want to get outside the normal, I have my lifted pop up behind the jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier