richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
Can't go wrong, 25% more!

Yup :)

100amps (1200 watts) should be more than enough to keep your battery topped up and run most accessories (LED lights, fridge, even occasional use of a winch).

I should be good to go for quite sometime. I've just gear horrible stories regarding rebuilt units from your local auto parts stores. Knock on wood to see how this one fares.

Why cant you just swap the pulley and spacer bushing from the original alternator onto the Mean Green one?

That sounds like a much more plausible idea. I'm not very familiar with alternators although I've seen some pictures of someone disassembling it for cleaning. I'll give that a try as I still have both units. This was my first time replacing an alternator as I've never had issues with my previous vehicles. (Then again, I've never driven though mud puddles with my previous vehicles). Thanks for the bit of information.

stioc

Expedition Leader
^ 250amps :Wow1: what in the world for? Unless you're planning to power your entire house with it! :)

100amps is plenty for most of us.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Interesting, since the new one has a lifetime warranty anyway, you should be fine. 100a is plenty imo.

richard310

pew pew
^ 250amps :Wow1: what in the world for? Unless you're planning to power your entire house with it! :)

100amps is plenty for most of us.

250A is really excessive. That'd give me an excuse to really go all out and run a quadruple battery setup with every convenience accessory known to man.

Interesting, since the new one has a lifetime warranty anyway, you should be fine. 100a is plenty imo.

For how quickly it was to reinstall, replacing it with a new one will not be a problem, and same with popping in the 180A Mean Green unit. I'm also thinking of a solution without relocating the unit to protect it from the elements but keep it well ventilated.

Longrange308

Adventurer
IIRC there is a hydrophobic spray out there for electronic components. If and when I do an alternator swap on my rig, I will be on the hunt for it.

richard310

pew pew
IIRC there is a hydrophobic spray out there for electronic components. If and when I do an alternator swap on my rig, I will be on the hunt for it.

I'm sure those sprays are temporary more than anything and don't really water proof the alternator. Itd be nice to give it a try though, but I'd like more of a permanent solution rather than having to reapply constantly.
If you do come across a spray let me know how that works!

steve c

Adventurer
I like your Exterra a lot.

Hi Richard310. I really like your Exterra.
How many MPGs you get with that thing?
What are the biggest tires you can fit on an Exterra?

:sombrero:

How did I not see your 578 post build/trip thread?
Let's go camping soon!

richard310

pew pew
Hi Richard310. I really like your Exterra.
How many MPGs you get with that thing?
What are the biggest tires you can fit on an Exterra?

:sombrero:

How did I not see your 578 post build/trip thread?
Let's go camping soon!

Use the "Search" function ya noob!! :sombrero:

Where to Steve? Seqouia? Monache?

richard310

pew pew
Decided to hitch onto a last minute trip with Dave from AAV, and Brian from GooseGear, to Joshua Tree. After missing the previous trip with a bad alternator and wanting to go somewhere before the weekend was over, I linked up with them for a night. I met them at the Denny's in Beaumont. I arrived a little early and was able to sneak in a quick nap before their arrival as I had little sleep the night before. We took off for Joshua Tree via Highway62 to the Northwest entrance. Did some supply runs on the way, filled up and entered the park. It was quite a busy weekend as there was a line to get in, and lots of folks stopped off at the points of interest. We checked out and climbed up the rocks for the little ones and walked around the area. The air was a bit cold, snow was still on the ground, but the sky was clear blue. It was a beautiful day to be out. We then headed to Old Dale Mine to find and link up with Cam from Mojoe. Unfortunately it began getting dark early and the temps began to drop as well. I followed Dave and Brian into the hills and we found a nice spot in BLM Land to setup for the night. It was pretty chilly as the temps broke 30degrees at night. We had a delicious meal that night and turned in.

The next morning, we woke up leisurely after a cold windy night. I didn't sleep well at all. Dave cooked up some delicious breakfast and we then packed up and headed out around mid-morning. We continued on Old Dale Mine to Highway 62. It was quite an easy trail, except for the light technical section about halfway in. Brian's borrowed trailer from DefconBrix hitched the the 4runner did very well. It tracked nicely although it was bouncy on occasion. We had an early lunch at MickeyD's, then Dave and Brian went to pick up the next night's dinner. After stopping at the visitor center and grabbing some souveniers, I decided to head back to LA as I was leaving for Vegas in a few hours. Traffic sucked and I was extremely tired. Got home at 1600. Left for Vegas at 1700... just to sit in more traffic.

I digress... onto pictures!

Last edited:

steve c

Adventurer
I like how the guys with the flip pac and RTT choose the rockiest place in the desert to pitch camp.

"It'll be fine!"

Great photos and story as always.

JTree and Vegas in the same day with going back to LA. Hardcore I say

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier