White knuckle next week!

So after a week in the shop:
-AC condenser to compressor line replaced and recharged
- High sidenline warrantied
- oil changed
- front and rear diff oil drain and fill
- timing was retarding, returned to stock timing
- induction service: TB cleaning, solvent ran through intake manifold, etc

All that and it turns out my rebuilt alternator from O'Reillys had a bad spot and was resulting in the interior lights pulsating. This will be the first and last rebuilt unit. I ended up customizing the pulley on the mean green alternator and making it work. I went out and bought an electric impact wrench just to remove the pulley. I grinded down the step in the pulley and that did the trick. Switching pulleys from the stock to the mean green didn't do a darn thing, in fact it made it worse. I swapped out the alternator this morning just in time for a trip down to Anza Borrego.

Now I'm out enjoying the clear desert sky

Dmski

Adventurer
Nice to have a baseline done and even a warentied high side to boot! I realized if you haven't already done sir, replace the fuel sending unit and the entire distributor. I lost both, one right after the other, when I owned my old Xterra. Sucked having to get two tows down from the ski hill. Aside from that, it was flawless when I had it. Yes the bearings could be the culprit, but when I pulled the distributor apart the metal on the underside sheared. Not sure what the deal was but I am a strong believer in replacing those two parts. Enjoy the trip and post up pics of when you get the sliders or skids!

richard310

pew pew
I'll have to check my records but I think the dizzy was done when the plug wires were done. I will get on the fuel stuff next includes the sending unit and filter. Thanks for the advice.

I'll be going with white knuckle sliders next week. I can't wait to finally get some step footing and a place to use the hilift!

Longrange308

Adventurer
Good stuff man. That photo of Anza Borrego brings me back. I love it down there. Sad that Im not so close to it anymore. Living up here is actually making me miss the desert.

I really cant wait for spring so I can get out and do some more exploring up here. Good news is that I will be moving into a house with a 4 car garage within the next 30 days, so I will at least have a place to work on the X again.

Let me know when you want to make an expedition up here. I have been doing some exploring here and there, and I have some great places to show you!

Glad to see your X is getting the white knuckle treatment. You will like having sliders, I know I do!!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Great shot Richard. I really like your awning setup.

Glad to hear you went with the White Knuckle sliders! Maybe ours will be built next to each other haha. Did you end up going with DOM or HREW?

richard310

pew pew
Good stuff man. That photo of Anza Borrego brings me back. I love it down there. Sad that Im not so close to it anymore. Living up here is actually making me miss the desert.

I really cant wait for spring so I can get out and do some more exploring up here. Good news is that I will be moving into a house with a 4 car garage within the next 30 days, so I will at least have a place to work on the X again.

Let me know when you want to make an expedition up here. I have been doing some exploring here and there, and I have some great places to show you!

Glad to see your X is getting the white knuckle treatment. You will like having sliders, I know I do!!

Congrats on the house! I'm definitely going to have to come up sometime this year to check the house and some trails out :) Time permitting of course.

I'm pretty excited to get sliders. I've also go to order an Idler Arm Brace, and some steering/suspension upgrades. I've got some refreshing to do again in this department.

richard310

pew pew
Great shot Richard. I really like your awning setup.

Glad to hear you went with the White Knuckle sliders! Maybe ours will be built next to each other haha. Did you end up going with DOM or HREW?

Thanks wreck. We amazingly had reception out there in the sand so my phone did some picture duty.

I chose HREW due to not only cost, but usage. It's strong enough for what I see and do. A properly designed slider will do it's job whether it dents or bends.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks wreck. We amazingly had reception out there in the sand so my phone did some picture duty.

I chose HREW due to not only cost, but usage. It's strong enough for what I see and do. A properly designed slider will do it's job whether it dents or bends.

Precisely! Nice choice. Pretty stoked to see them on your X. They are an awesome design.

richard310

pew pew
Looks good, what trails are you running in the park?

I know one of them was off of Split Canyon, left turn along a railway. Then the others were through Coyote Canyon, east of Borrego Springs. It was near a flowering section with a lot of cool looking caterpillars at the trail head. That was my first time to Anza Borrego so I'm not familiar with the trails down there. I was just following the lead vehicle with a rough idea of the area from a brief map glance.

richard310

pew pew
After some odd driving habits from my last trip out, I decided to finally pull off the wheel and see what was going on. The steering wheel would pull right when the brakes were applied and then release and re-track once let off the brakes. That and also the alignment was pretty off. There was also some noise as well going over potholes and what not on the passenger front. So I pulled off the wheel, checked each linkage, and each bolt. Turns out the rear upper control arm nut had decided to back itself out about halfway. So I was driving over 100mi on and offroad with my upper control arm half attached... YIKES. I'll be taking the truck back in for an alignment later this week.

steve c

Adventurer
After some odd driving habits from my last trip out, I decided to finally pull off the wheel and see what was going on. The steering wheel would pull right when the brakes were applied and then release and re-track once let off the brakes. That and also the alignment was pretty off. There was also some noise as well going over potholes and what not on the passenger front. So I pulled off the wheel, checked each linkage, and each bolt. Turns out the rear upper control arm nut had decided to back itself out about halfway. So I was driving over 100mi on and offroad with my upper control arm half attached... YIKES. I'll be taking the truck back in for an alignment later this week.

Girl, you crazy.

Wow, that's terrifying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz