richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
I've got a few things ordered and also picking up tomorrow from a SCCX member.

Ordered from 4x4parts:
4x4parts FrontSway Bar Center Polyurethane Bushings
4x4parts Front Sway Bar Endlinks

Picking up tomorrow:
4x4parts 3leaf AAL
Kenwood 5-1/2 Front Pair Speakers
Lightning Audio 6x9 Rear Pair Speakers

I still have to order a new U-bolt set from 4x4 for the leaf springs, so the AAL's won't be installed until next week. This should take care of the permanently added rear weight and additional weight when loaded for trips. No more bottoming out, thank goodness.

I'm hoping the new bushings will eliminate the squeaking and occassional popping on dips when turning. I know the fronts are pretty shot as they are.

Maintenance blows donkey, but it's got to be done!

richard310

pew pew
Got some time from work to get the front sway bar center bushings installed. One bolt decided to be extremely stubborn but I eventually got both of them in. A simple 30min job turned into an hour and a half because of that stupid bolt. Man the OE bushings, which I'm sure are the originals, were completely shot. The squeaking is still there so I'm going to hit every bolt with WD-40 and see what happens.

I was hoping to get the Endlinks swapped out as well, but got lazy and decided to wash the truck. I'll throw the endlinks on tomorrow. I better soak them in WD-40 overnight or the dremel cutting wheel is coming out. I'm really hoping these endlinks eliminate the squeaking... It's driving me crazy.

This past weekend I installed the speakers I picked up on Thursday. Turns out, the previous owner decided to take out the front speakers, so instead of thinking the speakers were blown, they were actually missing. Good thing though was that they were wired for aftermarket already. I had to modify the already-modified brackets to make the 5-1/2 Kenwoods's. Unfortunately, the rears were still stock Pioneers. Ripped those out and dropped in the new Lightning Audio's. A few splicing and soldering and the speakers are up and running. What a difference it makes. Only con for the rear speakers were the magnets are millimeters away from the body panel... Meh, I don't care. It works for me. No pictures.

The 3-leaf AAL sits in the trunk, awaiting to be installed sometime by me or my shop if I'm too lazy.

Last edited:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Nice! I have those sway bar bushings and the brackets that the pathfinder used to secure them plus one of the upper links waiting to be installed.
Good luck on the squeaking! Mine is plagued by squeaks and light clunks on bumps which is making me consider throwing some of the FatMat stuff under my carpet. If I cant isolate the noise.
I should probably just order a complete bushing set for my vehicle and go to work.

richard310

pew pew
Nice! I have those sway bar bushings and the brackets that the pathfinder used to secure them plus one of the upper links waiting to be installed.
Good luck on the squeaking! Mine is plagued by squeaks and light clunks on bumps which is making me consider throwing some of the FatMat stuff under my carpet. If I cant isolate the noise.
I should probably just order a complete bushing set for my vehicle and go to work.

After I posted my last, I went down and WD-40'd the entire front end of visible bolts. Turns out the bolt holding down the heatshield of the intake was loose and making all sorts of ruckus. So I tightened it up and loaded every surrounding bolt/bushing with WD-40. Voila! Also two bolts holding the radiator on were shaken loose on my last outing lol. Man, this thing was about to shake apart.

Try grabbing a can of WD and going to town in the general area. :) worked for me.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
After I posted my last, I went down and WD-40'd the entire front end of visible bolts. Turns out the bolt holding down the heatshield of the intake was loose and making all sorts of ruckus. So I tightened it up and loaded every surrounding bolt/bushing with WD-40. Voila! Also two bolts holding the radiator on were shaken loose on my last outing lol. Man, this thing was about to shake apart.

Try grabbing a can of WD and going to town in the general area. :) worked for me.

Will do! Ill also go on base here soon and use their HobbyTown shop because of the overhead lifts to check all the bolts that I can find. If I can stop it I would be in heaven

richard310

pew pew
Will do! Ill also go on base here soon and use their HobbyTown shop because of the overhead lifts to check all the bolts that I can find. If I can stop it I would be in heaven

The quietness is so odd but is such a welcoming sound at the same time, especially on a truck.

richard310

pew pew
Decided to install the 4x4parts Poly Endlinks today. The OE bushings looked to still be halfway decent, so I will be saving those for just-in-case scenarios. But wow, the bolts were pretty darn rusted. Required a little prying of the sway bar and raising opposite ends of the truck. An hour later, had them installed and happy.

richard310

pew pew
Did a quick night drive tonight before the rain came. Hit up Maple Springs Trail via Silverado Canyon. On the drive back, the random rain pour washed off all the dirt...

After this little drive, I've realized I need light output on the sides. Literally right off the light cage pointing off the sides of the truck. The tight turns were near impossible to tell where the ledge was. I'll probably snag some of those BlitzPro lights to add all around the vehicle too. Getting out to take pictures was quite creepy being out there alone.

richard310

pew pew
Very cool pics. Lights look like they kick serious a$#

That they do! More are needed. I can't get enough of the additional light. :D

I'll have to get a black strip to put on the windshield to eliminate the interior glare and reflection. Some spots, the dash reflects right off the windshield and makes it impossible to see out with the windows up. Breaking down the mounting points of the lights and the strength needed to hold up, glare shields are pretty much not going to happen, unless I use hose clamps with a traffic signal light type shield (where it wraps the entire light). I can't imagine the wind noise added on top of the noise with the lights and light cage. I think a black vinyl strip on top of the windshield would work just fine and be the most effective.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That they do! More are needed. I can't get enough of the additional light. :D

I'll have to get a black strip to put on the windshield to eliminate the interior glare and reflection. Some spots, the dash reflects right off the windshield and makes it impossible to see out with the windows up. Breaking down the mounting points of the lights and the strength needed to hold up, glare shields are pretty much not going to happen, unless I use hose clamps with a traffic signal light type shield (where it wraps the entire light). I can't imagine the wind noise added on top of the noise with the lights and light cage. I think a black vinyl strip on top of the windshield would work just fine and be the most effective.

I feel your retinal searing pain.

richard310

pew pew
I feel your retinal searing pain.

:D Like I don't have enough lights, I just ordered six work LED lights from BlitzPro. Two on the side front, two on the side rear, and two facing the rear. Now I can do night runs without being creeped out in the dark alone and setup camp with enough lights.

Where does that trail run from? Hows the GF coming along in the acquired taste for off roading? :p

It starts in Orange County from the city of Silverado. The closest trail around this area without heading to Big Bear. Maple Springs actually intercepts Main Divide and that road traverses the entire range from Corona down to Ortega Highway. I have yet to drive the entire thing. Might just do that some weekend.

The girlfriend is not really into the extended off-roading. After a few 4-5 hour trips when I first took her out, all completely off-road, she's not that into it, especially when it gets rough. The seats aren't very supportive so she gets kind of thrown around when we go. If they are short trips, just a couple hours, she'll be okay with it. She's all for primitive camping and backpacking though. I'll just slowly introduce more trips to get her used to it over time. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke