richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
Updated as of January 14, 2016

Hi guys. Been a long time lurker here for a few years and finally found what I've been looking for after 6 months of searching.

2004 Xterra XE (D22)
4x4 Automatic
KY2 Pewter Metallic

Engine/Transmission:
- Nismo SS Catback Exhaust
- Nismo K&N Cone Filter (removed and swapped for OEM air box)
- NGK Spark Plug Wires
- Mean Green 180A Alternator
- Supercharged Xterra Radiator

Major Maintenance:
- Timing, A/C, Alternator, Waterpump, Power Steering Belt (11/2013)
- Spark Plugs/Distributor Cap (11/2013)
- Water Pump, Thermostat (11/2013)
- Crankshaft/Camshaft Seals (11/2013)
- Replaced Leaking High Side A/C Line (6/2014)
- Replaced Driverside Axle (8/2014)
- Replaced Starter with Ultima Remanufactured Starter (8/2014)
- Replaced alternator with rebuilt OEM 100A unit (12/2014)
- Rebuilt Alternator took a dump, modified pulley and installed Mean Green 180A Alternator (2/2015)
- Condenser to Compressor line replaced (2/2015)
- Front and rear diff fluid drain & fill (2/2015)
- Induction Service (TB Clean, Manifold clean, everything pre-engine was taken apart and cleaned) (2/2015)
- Replaced LCA balljoints, steering tie rod ends and balljoints: PRICEY! (3/2015)
- Replaced Calmini UCA balljoints (3/2015)
- Replaced leaking radiator with Supercharged version (6/2015)
- Replaced AC Pulley Tensioner

Tires:

- Cooper ST Maxx Load Range E, 265/75-16 (32")

- (REMOVED) BFG AT KO's Load Range E, 265-75-16
- (REMOVED) General Grabber stock spare

Suspension/Brakes:

- Bilstein HD 4600 for 3inch lift
- 4x4Parts Front Sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
- 4x4Parts Front Sway Bar Polyurethane Endlink Bushings
- 4x4Parts Rear 3-leaf AAL
- Calmini Extended U-Bolts and Hardware
- Calmini HD Upper Control Arms and Ball Joints
- Calmini Idler Arm Brace
- Firestone Lifetime Alignment
- Powerstop Slotted and Crossdrilled Rotors
- Powerstop Scorched Evolution Pads
- Raybestos Rear Drum kit

- (REMOVED) Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks
- (REMOVED) Bilstein Rear 4600 OEM Shocks

Exterior/Armor:

- Trekking OASIS II Tent mounted on OEM roof rack
- Calmini modified rear dual swing out tire carrier
- A/T NATO double can holders
- Front Runner roof mounted double NATO can holder with custom mount
- Deustcheoptik NATO 5gal/20L jerry cans
- Hi-Lift 48" Jack
- ARB 1250mm Awning
- ARB 1250 Awning Front Wind Dam
- White Knuckle Sliders
- Xoskel Light Cage
- Nokya Arctic Yellow 9007 Headlight bulbs
- BlitzPro 6LZ 6" Roof Rack Lighting
- Generic 32.5" 180W Combo LED Bar
- Generic 6.8" 30W Combo LED Bar

- (REMOVED) Rugged Ridge 6" lights with 3000k HIDs
- (REMOVED) Tuff Stuff 4.5" HID 6000k
- (REMOVED) Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic 55W Lights mounted on stock bumper reinforcement with Nokya Yellow H2 Bulbs
- (REMOVED) 32" LED Light Bar 18,800 Lumens mounted on Xoskel Cage

Comms/Electronics/Interior:

- Mob Armor phone mount
- Custom rear cargo system
- Midland 1001LWX with NOAA CB Radio
- Firestik SS204A Mount
- Firestik II 3' CB Antenna
- Kenwood TM-281A 65W 2m Radio
- Diamond K400S Mount
- Diamond NR770HB Antenna
- Lowrance GlobalMap Baja 480c GPS with RAM mount
- Red LED Dome lights
- DepHep Rear Window MOLLE Panels

Recovery Gear:

- TRED 1100 (2)
- ARB Speedy Puncture Repair Kit
- ARB 8000kg Snatch Strap
- 7/8" Shackles
- MV50 Compressor
- Tow Strap
- Ace Hardware Shovel

How it sits today:

When I first picked up the rig:

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I like it...love that colour, alot.

I like the tires as well. It probably has some longer length shackles and the torsion bars turned up front a little.

When you look under the truck, where the rear part of the leaf spring attaches to the frame, what is the colour of the shackle? Often the aftermarket ones are blue. Also if you measure the shackle length (eye to eye) you could compare against a stock size.

You are pretty much at the same height and tire size as me, these trucks can do a lot at this point! Looking forward to future updates!

richard310

pew pew
I like it...love that colour, alot.

I like the tires as well. It probably has some longer length shackles and the torsion bars turned up front a little.

When you look under the truck, where the rear part of the leaf spring attaches to the frame, what is the colour of the shackle? Often the aftermarket ones are blue. Also if you measure the shackle length (eye to eye) you could compare against a stock size.

You are pretty much at the same height and tire size as me, these trucks can do a lot at this point! Looking forward to future updates!

Thanks. I had to have this color when I was searching for this truck. It's a great color.
As far as the shackle color is concerned, it seems OE color (black-ish). I'll measure the eye-to-eye measurement when I get the chance. What are the OE lengths?

I took it on a fireroad off of Hodge Rd off the 15N two nights ago for a short little night shoot in BLM land and it was quite fun and capable. Looking forward to bigger/longer trips.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks. I had to have this color when I was searching for this truck. It's a great color.
As far as the shackle color is concerned, it seems OE color (black-ish). I'll measure the eye-to-eye measurement when I get the chance. What are the OE lengths?

I took it on a fireroad off of Hodge Rd off the 15N two nights ago for a short little night shoot in BLM land and it was quite fun and capable. Looking forward to bigger/longer trips.

I had nearly bought one exactly like yours, 04 and that colour. But had to wait to sell my GTI and it was gone by then.

Ill go out and measure mine shortly.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
About 3.5" centre to centre.

Most lift shackles are 3" longer than that, giving 1.5" of lift.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nice looking rig man! You've got one heck of a great platform for expo/overland stuff. Looks like you got a peach.

I'd be willing to bet mortonm is right, and you have a PML (adjusted torsion bars). But those do look like OE shackles in the last picture. The stock ones are basically a piece of strap with two round head bolts welded to it. The aftermarket ones generally use a nut and bolt.

I always loved how out of the box capable and cool looking the Xterra is.

How do you like that Nismo exhaust?

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
Interesting. Mine are about 3.5" as well... There doesn't seem like a body lift either.

A simple question so excuse the noobness, but would dropping in some coilovers like the PRG coilover kit be alright with the already adjusted torsion bars?
Pretty new to this offroad scene but I used to modify cars.

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
Nice looking rig man! You've got one heck of a great platform for expo/overland stuff. Looks like you got a peach.

I'd be willing to bet mortonm is right, and you have a PML (adjusted torsion bars). But those do look like OE shackles judging by how there isn't a bolt head or a nut sticking far out of the shackle in that last picture. The stock ones are kind of like a piece of strap with two round head bolts welded to it.

I always loved how out of the box capable and cool looking the Xterra is.

Thanks, your Frontier is a pretty sweet rig too. I was looking into one similar to yours but I found this gem first.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Why do you think its lifted? Tires are slightly larger than stuck, but Xterras can run 265 75 R16 or 235 85R16 without a lift. Usually the mud flaps get in the way, and it looks like your rears have been removed and the front ones cut off as well?

xearth

Observer
A simple question so excuse the noobness, but would dropping in some coilovers like the PRG coilover kit be alright with the already adjusted torsion bars?
Pretty new to this offroad scene but I used to modify cars.

I think for the 00-04 suspension you'll want to replace the upper control arms, crank the torsion bars (or upgrade to HD), and then add AAL or replacement leaf pack for the rear

richard310

pew pew
Why do you think its lifted? Tires are slightly larger than stuck, but Xterras can run 265 75 R16 or 235 85R16 without a lift. Usually the mud flaps get in the way, and it looks like your rears have been removed and the front ones cut off as well?

It seems a bit taller than typical when climbing into the cabin. That just might be the slightly taller tires or this being my first truck. As far as the flaps, yeah the rears were removed but the fronts are still in place. Also the inner fender splash guards are worn down from the larger tires. Given the amount of dried mud on the under chassis, the previous owner went offroading a lot.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
It seems a bit taller than typical when climbing into the cabin. That just might be the slightly taller tires or this being my first truck. As far as the flaps, yeah the rears were removed but the fronts are still in place. Also the inner fender splash guards are worn down from the larger tires. Given the amount of dried mud on the under chassis, the previous owner went offroading a lot.

It would feel about a half inch taller at the drivers seat due to the inch taller tires.

The 2002 to 2004 came with 265 70 R16

2000 and 2001 4WD X's came with 255 65 R16 tires. Yours would be sitting well over and inch taller at the drivers seat vs these. If the previous owner had used it offroad a lot there is a good chance he might have cranked the torsion bars a bit to bring the front up to clear the tires better.

richard310

pew pew
It would feel about a half inch taller at the drivers seat due to the inch taller tires.

The 2002 to 2004 came with 265 70 R16

2000 and 2001 4WD X's came with 255 65 R16 tires. Yours would be sitting well over and inch taller at the drivers seat vs these. If the previous owner had used it offroad a lot there is a good chance he might have cranked the torsion bars a bit to bring the front up to clear the tires better.

Sounds about right. Thanks for the bit of information as I'm still learning this truck inside and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles