richard310's 04 Xterra

richard310

pew pew
I like my MV a lot, glad to hear you got one. And definitely worth the trip to PP. Very famous views and driving on a real cliff hanger. There's also engineer pass, though I believe that is in eastern CO.

Engineer pass is down in the south west corner of colorado... Just beware if you go to Ouray and Telluride... You wont want to leave haha.

I've seen the pictures of Engineer Pass and my Aunts place in Telluride... and it looks really beautiful. That's what I'm afraid of is that I'll spend too much time there and have to drive straight home right after with no rest. :D it'd probably be worth it though haha

Longrange308

Adventurer
So no stopping in Idaho? Im so sad now.. :(

BTW, its really awesome up here so far.. Going tomorrow to do my new Idaho Drivers License, License plates and CCW.. :)

richard310

pew pew
So no stopping in Idaho? Im so sad now.. :(

BTW, its really awesome up here so far.. Going tomorrow to do my new Idaho Drivers License, License plates and CCW.. :)

Haha I bet it is... man you're making me super jealous! I've got my PAT for LASD on Tuesday at noon so I've really got to cut this trip short... I'm.bummed about that but its still a pretty awesome trip so far.

Checking in from Green River after an awesome night at Cathedral Valley Campground at Capitol Reef NP and the most scenic drive out via Hartnet Road. After Tough Mudder tomorrow, I'll be heading back to the same site via Cathedral Valley Road this time.

I was the only one heading in and at the entire campground. A nice lonely night. Kind of creepy but exciting. I was most likely the only one in the entire area that night. The drive in from UT-72 was essentially a forest service road so it was nicely groomed. The river crossing at the other end at the UT-24 was no more than a few inches deep. A few isolated T-storms passed through and I did see lightning strikes that night from quite a ways away.

I'll update later. Pictures to come of course.

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
Flash flood warnings at Cathedral Valley Campground. After a call to the Capitol Reef Visitor Center, they highly recommended me not to take the service road in to the campground due to a passing heavy storm with t-storms likely. It seems this entire area including Moab and southern parts or Utah are getting hit pretty hard.

So I'm currently at the back up site. Drinks Canyon Campground site 16. The heat is starting to die down but I can see clouds surrounding the area. We'll see how the night will fare as NOAA stated some 30% chance of isolated storms passing through. Tomorrow will be interesting. I seem to be luckily missing all the storms in the area so far and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues on the drive back home tomorrow morning.

Signing off for now and seeing a looming dark clouds on the way towards me.... time for dinner.

richard310

pew pew
Update! 15south is closed. Washed out from flash flooding. They're turning everyone around at the 170 bunkerville/Riverside exit to Mesquite. Just heard on the CB Mesquite lost power and are having trouble accomodating people. St George is cut off too so we're literally trapped. I'm pulled off at the side to wait it out. There's really nowhere to go. I don't understand why we just don't shut down on the freeway...

I really hope I can make my PAT tomorrow at noon... this isn't looking good.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Been hearing about those storms out there, stay safe. By contrast my friend rolled her car twice in that storm, consider yourself lucky haha.

Last edited:

richard310

pew pew
I liked the live field reports :) Hope you made your PAT!

I had 4 minutes to spare to get to the VPAT. 11:30am check-in, arrived at 11:26am. I luckily woke up around 5:30am, walked up to talk to the PD officer standing watch and he said 169 is open and I can make my way around the washout through Moapa and Overton and cut across Valley Fire back to the I-15. I told myself: crikey, I should've gotten up earlier so I don't have to rush!! Got myself situated around 6am and booked it all the way down to Whittier to the Sheriff Training Academy just in time for my VPATs. The word gutless goes a long way with the 3.3L Xterra's... All that noise and you're really not going anywhere. I definitely put the X through it's paces trying to get to my appointment.

Good news, I did pass the VPATs in 100deg dry weather. This on top of Tough Mudder on Saturday, my body was ready to check out. Tough Mudder alone is another story... That sacrifice and bad planning gets me one step closer to deputy-hood. :p

Been hearing about those storms out there, stay safe. By contrast my friend rolled her car twice in that storm, consider yourself lucky haha.

I heard a lot of accidents along that stretch and all the affected areas. Sorry to hear she rolled her car, she's alright though I presume? I know a few didn't make it out alive. I can tell you the downpour was very extreme. Sounded like my windshield was going to bust open from the heavy drops and my truck was hydroplaning quite often from the streams on the interstate. Fortunately I pulled over and got out to snap some pictures at the Virgin River Gorge. The sight was genuinely awesome. Waterfalls left and right flowing right onto the roadway with rocks and boulders scattered on the drive path. I stood outside in awe at how furious mother nature can be. I, definitely, along with those parked along next to me at the cutoff are quite lucky we got out unscathed.

richard310

pew pew
Tough Mudder Trip 2014
Snowmass Village, CO
9/4/14 to 9/8/14

Day 1: Home (Los Angeles) to Capitol Reef NP: Cathedral Valley Campground
Time: Approx 12hours
Mileage: Approx. 650mi

Loaded up the truck the previous day and then grabbed some last minute things in the AM. Headed out from home about 0600hours to Las Vegas. Filled up near home and filled up the jerry cans. First stop was in Barstow to grab some breakfast and top off the tank at about 0900hours. Then off to Vegas to grab dinner and breakfast groceries. Hit Vegas about 1200hours and it was at least 103deg. Picked up some Subway for lunch and grabbed some ice, eggs, pork belly, green onions and yellow onions, Nongshim ramen and a 6pack of beer from 99 Ranch Market. Filled up in Vegas and took off.

I passed the Riverside/Bunkerville exit and unknowingly/unexpectedly took a picture of this area... If you haven't heard in the news what happened in this area, you'll find out later. :/

Crossed the Arizona state line at about 1300hours

The entire trip had cloudy skies the whole route. Most were isolated showers but no storms yet.

Crossed the Utah state line at about 1430hours. Filled up at Cedar City, UT and hopped onto the I-70 East.

I hit Richfield, UT at around 1800hours. Sun was beginning to set as I filled up again. I took the UT-24 East to the UT-72 North and then turned right onto FR-206. The sun already set once I hit the UT-72N. I aired down at the trailhead to Cathedral Valley Campground.

I entered Captiol Reef NP and was able to get to the campsite with some very well posted signage and directions. The road in was a basic fireroad, not requiring 4WD whatsoever. I had ample lighting so finding my way around in the pitch black was no issue.

Setup camp around 2100hours. I was the only one in the entire area. A little spooky but exciting at the same time. Saved the other half of my Subway sandwich for dinner and an ice cold beer, as I was too tired to cook my meal of ramen.

richard310

pew pew
Day 2: Capitol Reef NP: Cathedral Valley Campground to Snowmass Village, CO for Tough Mudder
Time: Approx 6hours
Mileage: Approx. 350mi

Woke up to a wonderful morning but a massive headache. Popped some Acetaminophen and enjoyed the rest of the morning with eggs and porkbelly. Had a great view of Cathedral Valley from the campground. I setup camp at the 3rd site on the roundabout. Had a walk around the entire site and took in the views. Wrapped up breakfast, and packed up to go!

I even let this wasp have some breakfast as well. It peeled off one of the countless bugs on my front end and took it with him.

The wonderful view from the campsite

Leaving the campsite:

Nemo approved!

29miles to the Entrance via the River Ford:

I stopped along Hartnet Road to check out the Cathedral Valley Overlook. Just amazing and breathtaking:

This is the South Desert Overlook. One of the many beautiful views along the way. The color differentiation was spectacular

A smaller version of Balanced Rock along the route

In the southeastern Cathedral Valley. So expansive. Hartnet Road ran along the entire valley back to the main road UT-24. It was quite a scenic drive.

richard310

pew pew
A one of many holes spotted along the ground. Don't know what made em but there were a lot.

Made it to the otherside of the entrance of the Hartnet Road. Had to take a picture :)

Awesome formations and colors on the route:

Hit the Bentonite Hills

On the way out of the area:

Some rocks being elevated by something underground:

The area changed a lot once I hit the bottom of the park. Since the river crossing was coming up, the area became lush and green. Much welcomed after sand and rock.

richard310

pew pew
Made it to the River Ford. The water was quite shallow; I could stroll across the river

At the entrance/exit to Cathedral Valley and aired up the truck for the rest of the highway trip.

richard310

pew pew
Checked out the Capitol Reef National Park Visitor Center and the scenic sites along the way.

OUt of the park and checking out the outskirts of the park. It was another spectacular site in itself.

I reached the I-70 East right about 1100hours and headed in to Green River to grab some lunch at Arby's and fill up the tanks. Then proceeded into Colorado.

Passed through Grand Junction as I was planning on filling up Glenwood Springs before taking CO-82 South into Snowmass Village, CO.

Arrived at Snowmass Village, CO around 2000hours. It was dark so I wasn't able to take any pictures. I arrived and stayed at the Stonebridge Inn. Quite a nice place. My friend met me there at 2100 hours so we had a few drinks and turned in early for the next morning's Tough Mudder.

I'll finish the update tomorrow as it's getting late and I have work early tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94