small portable air suggestions

NoToyz

Looking for a small portable air compressor that I can move between vehicles while on work road trips. Mostly likely use to refill the donut spare or inflate a tire repair to get to the next exit / repair facility. Would like something that is worth the money so I'm not just throwing it away LOL. Thanks

LR Max

Local Oaf
x3 and you can usually get them at PepBoys if you are in a hurry.

OReilly had em stacked up as well. They were more expensive than Amazon but there is something to be said about not having to wait for shipping.

I never had luck with the MV50 pumps. Guess I always used them on too big of tires and never gave them a rest.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Mine is the MV-50

mf4.jpg

I bought two when they were being clearanced. One of them I bought for $12.50. I really considered them disposable. Now all these years later, they are both doing just fine. Even abused as loaners and a time or two discovered running without the filter. I air up six tires, including the trailer, before hitting the pavement. Not a hiccup.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've never had an issue with mine (3 of them.) I do shut them off between tires and I've never had one stop on its own because it got too hot. I'm typically airing 31 - 32" tires from about 15-20 PSI up to 35 PSI. I can air up all 4 tires in less than 15 minutes. Of course, the pump is pretty hot by that time, so I don't put it back in the nylon case until it cools off. I also always use the filter.

In terms of bang-for-the-buck it's hard to beat the MV-50.

NoToyz

Thanks all, think I will go to autozone or o'reilly's to take a look and check out current pricing.

Dazrin

Adventurer
For performance/cost, the Q Industries MV50 (same as the Masterflow MF-1050) seems to be the way to go even though it is generally $60-$70 anymore. For what you are talking about, I would go that route.

For higher quality, but much more expensive, Viair has some very good options (88P up to 33" tires, $70; 300P=33" tires, $120; 400P=35"tires, $190). They have good data on their website unlike the others. This is what I am planning on since I am leery of the MV50, which has generally good reviews, but enough that say "it died the first/second time I used it".

For higher speed at lower cost the Smittybilt can't be beat, but is fairly new and I wouldn't expect much better build quality than the MV50. I haven't found any good long term reviews of it yet. If you are only filling one tire at a time it doesn't seem like this would be necessary.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Tire Inflator Comparison!

Superflow MV50

Superflow Viair side by side comparison

Some things to think about: You will need a tire gauge. The pump does have a gauge, however use it as a representation of pressure. The needle vibrates back and forth while running. Accuracy is going to be sketchy. With a little use you will figure out what pressure to believe.
Where to get power? It has clips to attach to the battery. In most cases that will work, but what about the trailer tires? My truck has cables with quick connects at both ends, so that is not a problem. These draw more than a power port can provide, so that is not an option if you have one in the back of your rig. Be prepared to have a battery pack handy for remote air ups. That works pretty well.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
For performance/cost, the Q Industries MV50 (same as the Masterflow MF-1050) seems to be the way to go even though it is generally $60-$70 anymore. For what you are talking about, I would go that route.

For higher quality, but much more expensive, Viair has some very good options (88P up to 33" tires, $70; 300P=33" tires, $120; 400P=35"tires, $190). They have good data on their website unlike the others. This is what I am planning on since I am leery of the MV50, which has generally good reviews, but enough that say "it died the first/second time I used it".

For higher speed at lower cost the Smittybilt can't be beat, but is fairly new and I wouldn't expect much better build quality than the MV50. I haven't found any good long term reviews of it yet. If you are only filling one tire at a time it doesn't seem like this would be necessary.
From this I gather, you don't any of them....

I do own a couple and side by side...the Smittybilt does have a nicer build quality to it than the MV-50. It is much heavier and a bit larger. It is faster, but more expensive.

Last edited:
I just used my Ironman 4x4 Flo Max Pro for the first time this weekend and was really impressed with how quiet it was. I was expecting it to be at a similar noise level to all the other 12V cigarette lighter compressors but it was far quieter. I was only topping off the pressure so I can comment on single digit to street psi fill rates but from 35 to 45 psi was less than a minute and these pressures is where most compressors low flow rates start impacting fill times. Most other compressors you'll find dont even flow 5cfm at 0psi :( Yet this guy is rated at 160lpm at 40psi which is about 5cfm. :)

icompressor002.jpg

Ironman 4x4 Compressor

Last edited:

ert01

Adventurer
I really like my MV50... You can't beat it for the price.

I've had mine for 5 years now and filled my 33's and 35's hundreds of times with it. I replaced the hose after I drove over it and ruined it. I took the head off the unit and re-tapped the intake and output parts for 1/4" NPT as they are some metric odd thread from the factory. This allowed me to change the air filter to a more robust unit and add M-style quick connects to the output side.

I did have the reed valve (not sure if thats the proper term for it) break on mine at one point in its life but it was a very simple fix. I would assume this is the issue most people have with their MV50's... But it's a very quick and cheap fix. I just bought a cheap folding set of leaf style feeler gauges from Princess Auto (our version of harbor freight) and found a gauge the right thickness and screwed it on as a replacement reed valve. It has held up awesome for 3 years since that fix now and I use the pump every other weekend. I do carry a spare feeler gauge in the bag now though as a backup.

86tuning

Adventurer
Looking for a small portable air compressor that I can move between vehicles while on work road trips. Mostly likely use to refill the donut spare or inflate a tire repair to get to the next exit / repair facility. Would like something that is worth the money so I'm not just throwing it away LOL. Thanks

If its exactly for filling the spare/donut you're better off checking it at a gas station before going on your trip. Takes up less space and you'll never leave it behind somewhere or blow a fuse. And it can't stop working because its not there.

Maybe pack a $10 plug kit and then you can plug the original tire at the gas station and put it back on the car to continue on your merry way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz