Inverter selection?

fireball

Explorer
I've been doing some reading and searching on power inverters and can't seem to find the ULTIMATE INVERTER THREAD! Is there one?

The following 2 inverters have both been mentioned on here, they seem similar but are very differently priced:
Whistler Pro 1200 for $72

Xantrex 1000W Sinewave Inverter

I would love to hear from folks what inverter they are using, how much is cost, are you happy with its performance, and what all are you/can you use it for.

Thanks!

keezer37

Explorer
You get what you pay for with electronics is the general rule. If you had a scope to look at the sine wave coming out of these two inverters, you'd better understand. I went with Tripp Lite. I've charged laptops, phones, Kindle, power tool batteries, ran a small Vornado fan, and made coffee. I have a 1000W Tripp Lite. Still works well, though I don't use mine much anymore.
Remember, unless the gear you're plugging in is cheap, it's gonna have it's required circuit protection also.

95RRC

Adventurer
seems as if you dont need a sine wave inverter unless you are doing hair dryers, toasters, microwaves and the like?

Joe917

Explorer
- you get what you pay for
- pure sine wave is important for many electronics and chargers
- look for a low standby power draw (the Xantrex for example sucks a lot of power on standby)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
99% of everything works just fine on Modified Square Wave. The things which don't...usually burn up. Quite a few "battery powered tool" chargers will toast on MSW.

The ultimate small inverter would be the solid-state Morningstar SureSine 300:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sure-sine

Ultimate big inverter? Um...dunno. Big inverters are scary.

Probably Xantrex, Tripplite, Samlex in that order.

keezer37

Explorer
99% of everything works just fine on Modified Square Wave. The things which don't...usually burn up. Quite a few "battery powered tool" chargers will toast on MSW.

Never bothered to read up on this til now.

For others, good basic info here at Magnum Energy without going too deep into the weeds.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I know a few people who charge their power tools in their work vans on MSW inverters and have been doing so for years.

Is there any way to tell if a specific charger can or cannot handle MSW power?

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I don't know if you can buy them in the US or if they do 110v versions but Studer Innotec (a swiss manufacturer) have a great reputation here and their inverters are amongst the best available. High efficiency, low standby power, adjustable reactivation power, and massive peak power capability.

fireball

Explorer

The ultimate small inverter would be the solid-state Morningstar SureSine 300:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sure-sine

That looks interesting. Do you have and use one? I like the romex wire connection to whatever outlet you want, at whatever location. I'm guessing you could hook up a standard GFCI outlet?

craig333

Expedition Leader
I like that suresine. Been thinking about adding a pure sine wave inverter for things that need chargers, laptop, flashlight chargers etc. I hate the idea of finding out an appliance couldn't handle msw when I'm weeks into a trip. So far my microwave seems just fine with msw. Bout all I use the big inverter for. Not really hard to find most stuff in a 12v configuration.

wirenut

Adventurer
The Whistler and Xantrex are worlds apart in quality. Xantrex has been making inverters for at least 30 years. They include many large inverters used in off grid homes. I've installed many of their 6,000 watt models over the years.
A Sinewave inverter is important if you're running sensitive electronics. Modified Sine Wave tends to cause hum in audio, lines on Tv screens, causes microwaves to cook slower, and destroys somethings like battery chargers, electric blanket controllers, Apple computers, and gas ranges. I personally have customers who have destroyed the last two items with a MSW inverter.
That being said, most power tools, lights, heating devices, etc will work just fine on a MSW inverter and they are less expensive.
Regardless of your choice of PSW or MSW I would stay away from the Whistler. Xantrex, Magnum, Samlex, Morningstar, and Outback are the inverter manufactures you want.

oldnslow

Observer
Is there any way to tell if a specific charger can or cannot handle MSW power?

The only reliable way to tell is to plug it into a MSW inverter. If it burns up the answer is no. If it runs OK the answer is yes.

Of course if the answer was no, you have just wasted a bunch of money.

A lot of things will run OK on MSW power. A few will burn up. ALL things will run on sine wave power as that is what they were designed for. No worries.

I bought a 300W Samlex inverter to run my Macbook Pro in my camper. I think it was about $250 a few years ago. The Macbook Pro was something like $2200. Spending the extra $200 to make sure the $2200 computer would not burn up was cheap insurance, in my view.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
I sent an email to Milwaukee product support and they replied that msw inverters are fine with Milwaukee chargers as long as they have a high enough ouput (300w). That satisfies me.

which inverter and how big

I installed an 800watt inverter in my jeep and use it frequently, I sometimes wish it was more like 1500-2000 watts as there area few tools ( bosch jack hammer, 2 small dewatering pumps that i would like to run simultaneously ) . I don't have enough power to run both pumps at the same time so I usually can run only one. I saw a nice looking 2000w inverter on sale for 179 from harbour freight. Is this any good? If I go to that large an inverter will I need a bigger alternator/ dual battery system or upgrade to my electric system? ( I only run the inverter while the jeep is running. ) What brands are recommended and should I bite the bullet on a sine wave inverter or just pull the trigger on the harbour freight one?

While I am at it I thinking of doing the dual battery install. What kits are recommended? budget is an issue. I have one optima yellow top I am using right now.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I have an AIMS power 1250 watt unit that I have been using for a couple years . It powers a microwave and charges lap top, camera batteries and pretty much most things we plug into it. We have never had a problem and it works well. I think it was a higher end unit four or five years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94