Vehicle air conditioning really necessary?

SGTCap

Adventurer
I'm from Dallas Tx and have lived in the low country of the SE coast for the past 10 years. I drove vehicles without AC for the first 7 or 8 years of my driving life. Even in North Texas summers where we went 100+ days over 100 degrees with no rain and still manged 70%+ humididty. Why? Because I was as broke as my AC.

Necessity is directly proportional to expendable income. At this point in my life, if the A/C in broken, the truck is broken. I'm not doing that crap again.

If my life were to go to **** tomorrow and my AC went out. The story might change, but until then it is an absolute neccesity.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I drove Alaska to Argentina in my Jeep TJ with no AC.
I had plenty of days over 40C and 90% humidity.

Part of the reason I took the TJ with a soft top is because I wanted to be "in" the environment I was driving through.
Too many times I've been in a vehicle with the AC (or heater) blasting, and hours and hours go by without my realizing I've moved into a new climate.
I jump out and am shocked to find it's really hot/cold/windy/whatever.

In the Jeep, I always drove with the window down so that would not happen. It was fantastic driving through smaller towns and hearing, smelling and feeling the environment, rather that being isolated from it behind glass.

Obviously there were days I was bathed in sweat and extremely dusty, but that's why I chose to drive through such countries.

-Dan

Norcalfamily

I could't drive in the morning due to condensation. I am always surprised how many people do not know that A/C works regardless of the temperature setting. Hot+dry is awsome.

RttH

Have it...Never use it! Moab UT, AZ, etc... When I moved to Phoenix several years ago I didn't have AC and I went 2 years without it. In Colo now and it doesn't get hot enough/often enough to need it. To each their own I guess. Wife and I even shut off AC when traveling in tropical areas (Cancun). Ceiling fans is all we need. I agree with grecy.

DaveNay

Adventurer
AC on my F150 quit a couple years ago. I have an estimate to repair it at almost a grand....not really worth it. After a few weeks you get used to it.

bfdiesel

Explorer
I like my hearing to much to not have AC on trips at 55 MPH or greater. Ever notice which ear most the baby boomers lose hearing in first?

plumber mike

Adventurer
Evaporative cooling is an effective option if standard freon based ac is not an option. Ac needed. No. Nice luxury item. Yes

Expedition Leader
Meh... my main expo vehicle does not have A/C. Top comes off in the summer; good enough for me.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It was fantastic driving through smaller towns and hearing, smelling and feeling the environment, rather that being isolated from it behind glass.

Obviously there were days I was bathed in sweat and extremely dusty, but that's why I chose to drive through such countries.

I drove 15,000 kms through sw USA and Mexico over the course of 6 months with no AC in my BJ60 Land Cruiser. Best trip of my life. I'm sure it was hot at times, but that's sure as hell not what I remember from that trip.

Allof75

Pathfinder
As others have said, entirely possible to traverse hot climates without AC, especially in a vehicle designed without it. However, in a modern rig, A/C is the only option. 119* crossing 3000 miles of the American Southwest proved that to me in a heartbeat.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I like my hearing to much to not have AC on trips at 55 MPH or greater. Ever notice which ear most the baby boomers lose hearing in first?

Back in 93 my vehicle was a 1990 Montero with no air conditioning. I was stationed at Fort Bragg, NC and was sent to a military school at Ft Huachuca, AZ (about 70 miles SE of Tucson, right next to Sierra Vista.) I finished the school in July, and by the time the school ended, I had 2 1/2 days to make it back to Fort Bragg (which is in Eastern NC.)

Driving across Texas in the late July heat in a vehicle without AC, and with the huge "greenhouse" that the Montero had, was absolutely miserable. The only way I could even be marginally comfortable was to strip down to my shorts, put all 4 windows down and drive at 75 MPH.

I didn't even bother turning on the radio because I couldn't hear it!

I drove from Pecos, TX to Tuscaloosa, AL in one day - a little over 1,000 miles (still my personal record.) I was stopping every 2 hours or so to chug a bottle of water but never had to pee because I was sweating so much.

I took several other long trips with that Montero but tried as much as possible to travel in the Spring or Fall. Mid-summer drives were not fun! Anyway, it was after that I decided that I needed AC and every 4 wheeled vehicle I've owned since then has had it. Being miserable sucks.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Meh... my main expo vehicle does not have A/C. Top comes off in the summer; good enough for me.

Well, the wife's YJ doesn't have AC either. We usually take the top off in May and don't put it back on until September. We do have a bikini top for sun/thunderstorm protection, though.

However, if we're taking her YJ out, it's usually because we're going over a mountain pass that is >12,000'. AC certainly is not necessary there. ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
In my college years I drove coast to coast several times, mostly on what we call secondary roads today. No A/C, no problem. Today, I wouldn't consider owning a vehicle without A/C. As Dire Straits used to sing, "Do the walk of life."

Expedition Leader
Well, the wife's YJ doesn't have AC either. We usually take the top off in May and don't put it back on until September. We do have a bikini top for sun/thunderstorm protection, though.

However, if we're taking her YJ out, it's usually because we're going over a mountain pass that is >12,000'. AC certainly is not necessary there. ;)

I live in north Texas, so my FJ40 top comes off in March or April and goes back on in October, usually. I drive it all over Texas and the western U.S. regardless. I do have a bikini top for it, mostly to keep the sun off of my bald head.

IMG_0861small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke