Showers and Hygiene- How often? With what water?

DaveNay

Adventurer
This isn't to gross anyone out but just to let folks know you can go a long time. I can't even remember any issues with no showers except the stink, which isn't an issue in a conflict theater.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/15/amou-haji-iran-hasnt-bathed-60-years_n_4602936.html

E4EI01m.jpg

Chunkymyster

I am a believer in the KISS method. While I envy those guys that show up in a remote camp with a system tied into their radiator, or a kitchen nozzle coming from their trailer I dont envy them when that stuff breaks at the worst possible time it seems.

So here are my KISS systems. I have used solar showers, spit baths etc over the years. Now I use a handheld bug sprayer, holds about a liter of water. I have used the bigger ones but they take up too much room. I can take a quickie "shower" with this little one using my brought with me warmed up water. Usually do that every other day when on the trail, works fine for me. I need a real shower after a week or so.

I also use the KISS method last time the family and I camped out at P.I.N.S. a simple spray bottle and baby head to toe soap worked very well you don't realize how little water you really need to have a decent shower even in a sandy environment...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I also use the KISS method last time the family and I camped out at P.I.N.S. a simple spray bottle and baby head to toe soap worked very well you don't realize how little water you really need to have a decent shower even in a sandy environment...

For me having hot water makes the difference. A little bowl of hot water and a washcloth works really well, and a navy shower is a luxury.

When we had to wear the chemical gear for days on end, a washcloth was pretty much all you had to work with.

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I've never used one, but the the little hand pump sprayer idea sounds like a good idea. I have onboard water tank with engine coolant heat exchanger, so I guess I will just use that until it breaks. :ugh: Hmmm, maybe carry hand pump sprayer thing as a backup...

And ew, fish pee and poop in natural water sources! Filter that stuff at least 3 times and boil for 90 minutes! (Do people really do such things?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles