My Vanagon Syncro build

corter

Any idea if those 225 75 16 tires will fit on a stock Syncro?

nope, they barely fit with a lift- you need spacers in the rear to avoid the trailing arms (or modified trailing arms, or 16" trailing arms), and all fenders need to be cut. Then you need the Burley front uppers so that you can get it aligned properly. That size tire on a 16" rim would render a stock engine pretty useless unless you want to shift into 1st on hills. If I didn't need that size tire for a beach pass, I'd be doing 215/70's- much better size.

half-E- once the Adventurewagen top is on i can stand, but it's hard to explain the setup- it'll work just fine, I won't be standing when working inside the van.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Yea, looking at your van I figured they would be too much on a stock ride height. I have 16x7 Mercedes steelies, so they have the 37 offset. I was wondering about the 225 75 because there is always lots of brand new take offs from Jeeps in that size on CL. Guess I'll just stick to the 215's.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
There's room under the driver and passengers seats for batteries. Not much but that's where I put mine. Relocated the starter battery to the engine bay. I have about 168 ah of wheel chair batteries in those two spots.
Also, we removed all of the interior carpet n such and sprayed acoustic/thermal barrier then covered that with a linex type spray...just hose or sweep out
Also.....we relocated the brake handle forward and added a Waeco CF35 fridge/freezer in between the front seats.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
I don't have pics. Had a bracket made and it sits just behind the right rear wheel and higher than the axle

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Looks good ! I have always wanted a syncro, but the sticker shock of making it look the way I wanted always kept me away. Keep up the good work.

corter

thanks! Yea it's not a cheap build, but I've just been tackling it as I can over a couple years now. The van itself was the cheapest part of the build in all honesty- parts added up fast

corter

Long time no update! Things are finally moving along and the van is back at my place ready for me to finish.

The mechanic finished up with the suspension and it rides great, so it's on to the exterior and interior for me to finish. The van is sitting very high, for reference my montero in the background is over 6ft tall. Van's almost 7. This will come down a bit as the interior is built and installed.

14469078907_6db1e340c4_z.jpg

The van arrived home at my place pretty much as shown before. What you can't see is that the front & rear lockers have been fitted along with a decoupler :)

14886315019_f08b2e4ddf_z.jpg

Today was my first day working on it. I fitted and dry fitted all of the exterior accessories including truck mirrors, a ladder and a swing away tire rack. I will be painting the van in the next week or two with a full Monstaliner paint job, and the ladder is to access the solar setup once the Adventurewagen hightop is installed.

14910763738_de363eed1d_z.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Gorgeous rig. I'm a huge fan of the Synchro and you've got a lovely little example.
Not big enough...to get the spelling right...apparently. :ylsmoke:

Hey, you think that's bad - you should have seen what the Samba guys did to me when I accidentally typed Westphalia (the accepted spelling of the region in Germany) instead of Westfalia (the proper spelling of the RV). I was roasted for days.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Hey, you think that's bad - you should have seen what the Samba guys did to me when I accidentally typed Westphalia (the accepted spelling of the region in Germany) instead of Westfalia (the proper spelling of the RV). I was roasted for days.

Make jokes about your Asstro...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior