My Vanagon Syncro build

corter

Ok, after some unexpected family stuff kept me busy last month I'm finally back on track. This weekend I got the interior stripped, Chassis Saver applied, and I used a tinted bed liner called Monstaliner everywhere that's not getting wood floors. I'll be doing the same to the outside next weekend in a safari tan that I mixed up.

Cleaned all the crap off

15564477451_db2130b956_z.jpg

Applied Chassis Saver

15380769469_3453a4a840_z.jpg

Waited overnight, applied Monstaliner

15391155378_cb6c16d7e9_z.jpg

15390661989_8df0ecf238_z.jpg

Last edited:

corter

The past two years I haven't been able to find anyone willing to weld in small floor patches for fear of warping. I don't know how to weld, but I did use panel adhesive on another car with success and it's holding strong 6 years in. So I got some 3M panel adhesive, a piece of steel, and some tin snips and fixed the floor myself. The underside is totally por-15'd, waxed, etc, so I just needed to take care of the top. Were this a show car or being painted, I would want the patches flat- but the bed liner and goal of daily, year round use means this will work just fine.

Cut my patches, hammered them to shape, glued them in and clamped them down for the night

14946402744_5cd8c7385e_z.jpg

Sanded them down, applied Chassis Saver

15381616580_eaf5772b9e_z.jpg

Then rolled on the bed liner

15578138382_bf3e060ba0_z.jpg

Really happy with the result, and should last a good long time.

ober27

Adventurer
Glad to see you're back at it. I've always wondered about the longevity of repairs done with panel adhesive, glad to here you've had good luck. Van's going to look great with the Monstaliner.

corter

thanks! I have another car with a rocker replaced using panel adhesive- it's totally fine, if anything I think the adhesive creates a rust-preventing layer at the seam where it originally rusted out through the factory tack welds. It hasn't shown any rust at all, totally solid. A lot of factory replacement guidelines use this stuff for quarter panels and stuff now, it's good and strong.

corter

Only got one picture during the process, but I got the exterior painted today with bed liner . I'm going to replace all of the window and door seals except the windshield, so I left the windows in since the texture of the bed liner in the window channel may prevent a good seal- best if it's just paint. It was really nice not having to worry so much about the tape lines (though the bed liner leaves very crisp lines due to thickness).

The color that I mixed came out perfect, I'm super happy with it. I'm putting a hightop on it, so no paint on the roof for now

15033553054_8f7af63acf_z.jpg

Last edited:

corter

Tape came off last night, started in on reassembly today. Got the front pretty well done, just need to wait on a few grille clips to arrive. Overall I'm really happy with this bed liner, it's not super aggressive and should help keep the van looking nice.

For those looking to do a bed liner paint job, I'd suggest actually leaving most accessories installed while painting. It was necessary to scrape some places free of paint before things like lights and grille clips could be reinstalled due to the thickness of the material. This stuff leaves crisp tape lines, so just ake your time and everything will fit as it should when you're done!

15475658417_372424e7cd_z.jpg

Last edited:

corter

More small stuff checked off the list, all I can manage to get done after work as it's getting dark early!

Stripped rust, por-15 and painted tow hooks red. figured it'd be easier to see if we had to dig them out in the sand.

15482470739_38a4ec434f_z.jpg

New bumpers on

15666432681_3904028dca_z.jpg

Ladder etc. back on. Waiting on some clips/emblems and the back will be all set. Really happy with it, nice and clean

15666432551_33059bb993_z.jpg

corter

Thanks Hoka! It'll be an adventurewagen come spring, but enjoying the simplicity right now!

I got the interior design roughed out. We'll have the bulkhead to throw a couple duffels in, so there's no need for tall cabinets in the back- just a simple window height counter running the length of the driver's side.

I plan to use this seat frame extended to 55" wide so that Miss Corter and I still have a full sized bed to sleep in:

15524361299_0b863abfb1.jpg

This frame requires a riser in the trunk to even out the cushion, which I'll use as a removable work surface when the bed is not in use. Here's the rough layout

15524304729_1b9d53e9c2_z.jpg

I'm not sure about exact cabinet door layout yet. I'm currently researching materials, as weight is a huge concern- I don't want this cabinet system to weigh one side of the van down as there won't be anything on the opposite side to even the load. So far I'm focused on finding a composite to use over a 1x1" wood frame, that seems to be the lightest and strongest method of construction

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles