dark tan leather bouncy/suspension seats

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I wish they were gray, mine are toast and would love to upgrade. As everyone else asked, what is the price on them? And what year are they out of? Bouncy both sides?

MontyMcV

Observer
Well, there are 6 types of seats that I've come across, all of which have different foam/upholstery and mounting points on the seat bases.
1. Driver power seats
2. Driver non-power seats
3. Driver non-power suspension seats
4. Gen 2 Passenger non-power seats
5. Gen 2.5 Passenger non-power seats (w/ under seat storage compartment)
6. Passenger non-power suspension seats

Assuming the cloth and leather seats in question are of the same variety, the foam will be the same.

You can expand that listing as the Gen 2 vs. Gen 2.5 aren't the exact same. All the Gen 2 / 2.5s that I have seen/had will bolt to the same bases. Additional note to others who haven't seen them, the manual driver's is still a multi-way adjustable, just not power. Both of the multi-way will not fit on a suspension base. They will interchange with each other.

plh

Explorer
You can expand that listing as the Gen 2 vs. Gen 2.5 aren't the exact same. All the Gen 2 / 2.5s that I have seen/had will bolt to the same bases. Additional note to others who haven't seen them, the manual driver's is still a multi-way adjustable, just not power. Both of the multi-way will not fit on a suspension base. They will interchange with each other.

I have 3 major variations in my possession now for Gen 2. These are Standard Base, Bouncy Base and Power Base. The Standard Base and Bouncy Base seat bottoms directly interchange. The Power Base seat bottom mount to base is "very" different and does not direct mount interchange. I'm sure an adapter bracket could be made, but probably not worth the bother.

Foam in the seat bottom of the power seat also looks different from the bouncy or standard seat bottom foam. I believe the bouncy and standard seat foam is the same.

Can you explain the Multi-Way? Is it a non-power?

Last edited:

MontyMcV

Observer
Ah, right, four driver's bases then. I forgot about the 2-way standard. Pretty dumb of me as I have one somewhere! The seat bottom (foam) for the driver's multi-way is thinner/shorter to accommodate all the mechanisms underneath. And there is a non-power base that is the same. I know this for sure as I got lucky and found one at a local yard when selling the 95. I pulled its seats and the bouncies for the 00, leaving me with have to figure out how to re-seat the 95. The PS was obviously easy to swap the 00 PS in. I was a the yard and there was a Gen 2 SR (DOHC) that was "rare" with cloth and no power seat. The DS seat was multi-way with knobs to raise/tilt the seat bottom. It was a straight fit for the 00's DS seat.
To say I was happy is an understatement. The leather seats I moved of from the 95 I had to do some restitching on back when I fit them to the bouncy bases. Basically had to take apart one seat bottom to sew a non-thin/short leather side to it so that it would fit on a regular foam base. Didn't want to do that again...

plh

Explorer
got it. the Manual multi-way adds up/down adjustment on the side controls. I don't have one like that.

jlocster

Explorer
Interesting, I've never seen a multiway seat before. MontyMcV, you wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

mapper

Explorer
Jeep-n, what is the status of the seats you have here in Utah? I tried to follow what is what through this thread but it got confusing. I finally found my monty and I could use a Driver's seat. Grey is what I really need but I'll make do with brown as needed.

I've got a 2.5 with heated power seats. My only real concern is that I retain the heated function...bouncy would be great. I'd actually prefer manual over power.

Let me know what you still have available. I'm in Sugarhouse so pickup will be easy!

jlocster

Explorer
Mapper, to retain the heated function on the bouncy seats, you'll need to pull apart the upholstery of the Gen 2.5 seats to remove the heater elements. They are under the leather and hog clipped and glued to the seat foam. Then you'll have to pull apart the upholstery of the non-heated seats and install the heater elements. When you finish you'll never want to see another hog clip again in your life. But it can be done, I did it.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jeep-n, what is the status of the seats you have here in Utah? I tried to follow what is what through this thread but it got confusing. I finally found my monty and I could use a Driver's seat. Grey is what I really need but I'll make do with brown as needed.

I've got a 2.5 with heated power seats. My only real concern is that I retain the heated function...bouncy would be great. I'd actually prefer manual over power.

Let me know what you still have available. I'm in Sugarhouse so pickup will be easy!

I have someone interested in the pair of tan seats but might come across another set soon. The bouncy bases are not compatible with the power seats from what I have read, but are supposed to be with all of the manual bases, although I'm not sure how you would keep your heat option without tearing apart your current seats to swap elements or adding aftermarket units.

mapper

Explorer
No problem. From all the back and forth I just couldn't tell what was available anymore. I didn't know if the bouncies came with heaters as every truck I've looked at, to date, had heat and leather together. If come across anything let me know. My main priority is keeping the heated seat and ditching the power seat...if that combo is possible. For the time being my seat will suffice.

jlocster

Explorer
Just for clarification of a murky topic.

The bouncy bases are not compatible with the power seats from what I have read

This is correct.

but are supposed to be with all of the manual bases

Gen 2.5 manual passenger seat frames are not compatible with bouncy seat bases. Only Gen 2 manual passenger and manual driver seat frames are compatible with bouncy seat bases.

although I'm not sure how you would keep your heat option without tearing apart your current seats to swap elements or adding aftermarket units.

Yes, you would have to tear apart both the heated seats AND the non-heated seats to swap the heater elements.

As far as I know, bouncy seats did not come heated from the factory.

plh

Explorer
Just for clarification of a murky topic.
As far as I know, bouncy seats did not come heated from the factory.

I don't think heated seats came along until Gen 2.5 from the factory. I could be mistaken however.

There is always an option to discuss re-upholstery with your local "expert". Craigslist can help you find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke