Northstar owners, have a question.

UHAULER

Explorer
I just bought a very nice 2003 Northstar Tc650.I have a clearance issue with the left side tie downs. The tie down eyelets on the passenger side are flush to the side, but the drivers side are inset about 2"
The previous owner had it on the same truck as me, a ford f350 short bed supercab. He had torklift tiedowns. When I looked at it on his truck, the chains were close but not touching the bed. He delivered it for me as I didn't have any tie downs on my truck. I installed the same torklift tiedowns in the front as he had on his truck. When I went to use it for the first time, I had to do a quick "Mcgyver" trick so the chain wouldn't rub the side of the bed. The camper is centered on the bed.

So, is this normal or did I get one built on a friday afternoon by two guys,one with a tape measure and one without ?

DSCN0277copy.jpgDSCN0278copy.jpgDSCN0279copy.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
NS camper hold down info

see pic of my 650 camper hold down brackets, I have never seen Eye hooks on a N/S. Also see NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra thread. It seem like the top eye bolt clearance to truck =OK.

Why not reverse the tie downs, they work either way.

Can you show us pics of the lower torklift tiedowns, maybe you can drill new holes in them??

Attachments

• plug ins.jpg
    plug ins.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My TC850 has eyebolts as pictured on yours but they are maybe 1.5" inboard. I believe we share the 84" width. Yours appear to be way too far inboard.
Thirty-three Baja runs,Utah and Anza Borrego have failed to strain them. I'm thinking there must be a backing plate up there.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
my tc has the L brackets similar to what Brian posted as pics. I would be very concerned with tearout on the single bolted eyebolts as pictured above with any serious dirt road travels.
Also, the non-forged/welded eyebolts have been known to open up with loads placed on them so pay attention to them.

I would source some 1/4" thick angle and replace your plate with it. There is a 4" strip of wood on the underside of the camper to tap into, it goes right into the outside corner. Just position your new angle so the hole is close to the outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier