Outer Bank

Grouseman

Adventurer
Well the wife and I will doing the Outer Banks first week of May. Any advice on beaches that would be available for camping would really be appreciated. I have heard about the wild horses on some of the Islands and really want to see those too. Any Islands, places that are must see while there?

Thanks
SS

CLynn85

Explorer
Do you know whereabouts in the OBX you're looking at going? Further down in NC is the more touristy area, Hatteras, Avon, Ocracoke, etc. I'm not aware of any camping on Ocracoke but the beaches are nice and have some of the finest sand. Also, if you don't mind being eaten alive you can catch a boat over to Portsmouth island, was once a complete town but now is deserted and owned by the park service. If you take the boat over you might be riding with my Grandmother lol, she rides the boat over every morning when they drop everyone off.

Jim65Wagon is going down soon I believe and has more experience with the northern islands. See also this thread:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641&highlight=outer+banks

Grouseman

Adventurer
Ob

Carl,

Well the lslands are about 150+ miles long. We were going to start at the northern end and work our way down them. We had heard there were deserted islands where camping was permitted. I will check my notes again. Where does your grandmother live?
Thanks for any help.

Steve

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Frisco has one of my favorite organized camping spots on the dunes ( about half way down the cape) many deep sea fishing boats in that area - might still be early and less mosquitoes - but on Ocracoke they can carry you away - nice spots out there to hit the beaches with the 4X4 - if you can also trip around on the sound side... enjoy the whole ride down - OBX is one of my favorite spots on the east coast. :suning:

PS watch which way you park the sand can really blast your windshield :Wow1:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Side note - there was a time when it was deserted - that was quite a while ago - it is all National Sea Shore and protected - you can drive on the beaches in some areas - I have been going down there since I was little (36 yrs. ago) last time I was there was in '99- every time I go back I am shocked at the progress - but still always love it and want to go back :victory:

I am envious of your trip - you are going to have a great time out there - post photos please :coffee:

Grouseman

Adventurer
DD,

I sure will post up some photos. Nature photography opportunties are supposed to be abundant there. Beach, nature, wind, water, and no phones, faxes, etc. Man I am ready for it, can't wait.:)

Grouseman

vanguard

Adventurer
There are short reports on two OBX beaches at the CNC4x4 page. I've been to both and my impression was that while they were fun, they were small. I think their length was 2 & 5 miles. Plenty of room for camping and enjoying the beach but not a lot of room for driving. Also, we paid $10 for each trail and $20 seemed like a lot for what we got.

In short, play with the water and sand, not just the truck. :)

http://www.cnc4x4.org/trails_n_maps.asp

Grouseman

Adventurer
Vanguard,

Thanks for the info. Yes we will play with the sand and the water.:archaeolo

That is the main reason for going, along with camping, photography and just getting away.

SS

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I'm almost positive there is no camping on the northern beach above Carolla. I could be wrong, though. It's sand and surf and fishing and hiking and driving, general vacation stuff. If you go north of carolla and drive the "roads" behind the dunes be wary of any water puddles, they may not look very deep and there may be tracks coming out the other side, but some of them are truck swallowing deep. Have fun, I know I will.

CLynn85

Explorer
jim65wagon said:
I'm back! I was right, there is no camping on the beach North of Corolla. Ocracoke is the place for that.

Just be careful, I love Ocracoke but the green heads will eat you alive.

Last edited:

CLynn85

Explorer
They're a really pesky fly that develop in the salt marshes and in the dunes and end up out on the beach. When they bite, you know it....

Grouseman

Adventurer
greenheads

CLynn85 said:
They're a really pesky fly that develop in the salt marshes and in the dunes and end up out on the beach. When they bite, you know it....

Carl,

I hope there not like the biting flies I ran into in NY one year. Man those things were worse than bees. We literally had to run to our car, could not get them off of us. Thanks for the heads up. We will be using large cit. torches, and deet as needed. Hopefully the big torches will keep them at bay. Others mentioned to set up camp where they is always a good breeze and that will help. Man we leave Sat. morning. I am giddy at this point.

Gman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles