Good platform to build on?

XSapper

Which HF trailer were you comparing it to? How much you plan on hauling with it? What size vehicle you pulling it with?

the_dealer

Observer
2000 jeep wrangler tj. Just going to be hauling gear for the family. Mainly stuff that won't fit into the jeep. Coolers, sleeping bags, clothes, tools, spare parts. I plan on removing the grate metal, and making panels out of diamond plate to fully in close it from the elements. I would like to make a hard flip cover with a rtt eventually. External mounted fuel/water cans, and external mount spare. Not really going to be hauling too much, but it will be loaded for 2 weeks-1 month of supplies. The hf trailer would be a little too light weight. Also by the time I upgraded the axle and hubs to run a larger tire, I'd be at the same price as the trailer from Lowe's. Im planning a trip from Ga to Mexico, and I think the Lowe's trailer would be better suited. The hf trailer I was considering was the 4x6(?). Its the small one. I wanted something with metal sides as well.

the_dealer

Observer
Better than the HF one, the HF one I have is 40.5 x 48 and isn't really big enough even for a TJ. Had to build a bigger one to pull behind the JK.
How about this one from TSC? Seems just a bit larger than the Lowes one.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...l-mesh-floor-trailer-1700-lb-payload-capacity

I already have one that size, I like the size of the lowes one, but I just wasn't sure how it would hold up. I like the fact that it already has metal walls, so that will help save me some time. How are guys attaching their rtt? I have no idea how to go about fabbing up a flip top to mount the rtt on. Just build a 1x1 metal frame and attach a sheet to it?

Monkey, I've seen jsherbs designs. He has some pretty good plans. But if I was goi g to go through that much work, I'd build from scratch. I really don't have the time for that.

XSapper

Neither one has an overall width, so just guessing the Lowes one might match the width of the TJ better especially if you go with tires to match your TJ.

bkg

Explorer
Consider calling some local trailer places. The typically have better trailers for the price. When I bought my 5*8, I spent tie looking at Lowes, Horne Depot and TSC. Ended up buying from a well known trailer dealer after determining I could get a stronger, higher quality trailer for less money.

the_dealer

Observer
I don't know why I didnt think to check some local places out. I plan on running a 31" tire on the trailer, even though my jeep is on 33's. I might go with a smaller tires in the future on the jeep.

So what would be the best route for fabbing up a flip open cover?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne