1999 Dodge 2500 CTD Build AKA Han Solo

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Okay, this is my first build thread on this forum and I'm happy to finally be starting it.
So a little bit about my rig as it stand:
Bought it about 9 months ago with 140K miles on it.

Truck Specs:
1999 Dodge 2500
5.9L Cummins
47RE Auto
151K miles and climbing
265/75R16 BFG AT's

MODS:
Bilstein 5100
Airride ride right rear airbags
Air Dog 2 100
SnugTop Highline canopy w/ side open windows
K&N FIPK

Goals:
Leveling springs
285-305/75R16
Custom bumper
Custom sliders
50" led light bar
Gauges
Bed storage/sleep system
Recovery equipment
Extra fuel
On board air
RELIABILITY!

IMG_0410.jpg

Pre purchase inspection

Last edited:

Luckychase5

Adventurer
More current work

So far on my build I've just been trying to replace anything that might give me problems in the future. Being that my wife and I plan to take off for about 15 months starting this summer. On the trip we will be hauling a 18ft Fleetwood Pegasus trailer, a ton of rock climbing gear, and our 2 yr. old Lab/husky dog Riley. So far I got two new batteries, a new starter, Crankshaft position sensor, one new hub unit bearing, and a new to me high rise SnugTop Canopy.IMG_0413.jpgIMG_0419.jpgIMG_0421.jpg
This is the first day I got the truck. My wife is a teacher and it was spring break, so we hooked our new to us Han Solo and drove to Bishop California. An amazing Climbing and fly fishing area in the high Sierra's, just south of the Mammoth Lakes Ski area. This is also the trip where I realized that the batteries and the starter were bad.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Well, after I started this thread went out and changed the oil and sprayed everything down with degreaser. Hope to pressure wash it on Wednesday and find some oil leaks, beautiful portland day!
y6aje4ur.jpg

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and keep your eye on it or just replace the stock fuel pump if it is still in there with a high quality aftermarket unit. The OEM fuel pumps are not known to be the best and if you starve the Injection pump of fuel on that truck, you'll be installing a new fuel pump and an injection pump. Otherwise, awesome setup for what sounds like an awesome trip!

-jorge

Luckychase5

Adventurer
If I get a FASS or AirDog kit, will that also include a fuel pump then? Been looking into those and if anyone has some advice on them, that would be amazing. This is my first diesel (and I'm loving it) but there is a lot for me to learn. Thanks!

Darwin

Explorer
FASS or AirDog IS the fuel pump. Some of them come with their own filter set up. I would also consider GDP mechanical lift pump. Like was said earlier, make sure you install a fuel pressure gauge and watch it. Low pressure kills the expensive VP injection pump.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
BD diesel sells a low fuel pressure warning light that is helpful if you're not a gauge watcher.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Well I got a little done before work today, my stock 14yr old headlights were horrible foggy so I got some new housings. Can't wait to see them tonight
sara9e8e.jpg

These are the before and afters, obviously

Luckychase5

Adventurer
They are awesome! About twice as bright and have a way better pattern than the originals. Can't wait to get my light bar! Think I'm gong with the 50" double row

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Does anyone on here use replacement parts for their cummins from RockAuto.com? I'm getting a new Water pump and thermostat and I've used them before on my Taco and jeeps with good results. Any input?

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Does anyone on here use replacement parts for their cummins from RockAuto.com? I'm getting a new Water pump and thermostat and I've used them before on my Taco and jeeps with good results. Any input?

DO NOT use anything but original Cummins parts with the water pump and thermostat. Ask me how I know. It will cost more, but it is way better than doing it twice. Don't skimp on a Cummins if you can.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Okay sending my water pump back. Keeping the thermostat though, just for a spare. Just sucks that the Gates unit from Genos garage us 40$ and the cummins unit is $180. Quite the price difference. Anybody know a good place to get a good aluminum radiator for a Cummins?

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Okay sending my water pump back. Keeping the thermostat though, just for a spare. Just sucks that the Gates unit from Genos garage us 40$ and the cummins unit is $180. Quite the price difference. Anybody know a good place to get a good aluminum radiator for a Cummins?

Look to see if you have a Cummins dealer near you. The water pump should only be $135 and the thermostat should be about $10. $180 is pretty steep considering it is a very simple design. You'll notice the fins are very different from the Cummins vs. the generic one. It will make a difference in cooling ability. When I used a generic one, it hard a very hard time keeping it cool while towing and it started leaking from the weephole pretty soon after installation. Guy at Cummins said that was pretty standard for those crappy after markets. I learned the hard way having to do it twice. It isn't a hard job, but still a PITA having to do any job twice because the equipment is less than adequate.

Last edited:

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I just looked. You have two Cummins dealers in Portland off of the 5. Check 'em out! You'll save on shipping and building a good relationship with those guys can be worth it. People usually don't work at Cummins because they need a job.They are pretty passionate about the equipment...USUALLY. If worst comes to worst, tell them you got the same water pump at the Cummins in Fort Worth for $135.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles