Looking to improve my nature photography skill set... any class suggestions?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thinking that might be the next good step.

Already a knowledgeable photographer who rarely if ever shoots in program (usually either aperture or manual modes).

Been focused on macro work for a while... some examples...
540201_10152563462391686_1053604765_n.jpg

25110_371562706685_235677_n.jpg

26040_376824756685_357727_n.jpg

316_25641681685_542_n.jpg

Been considering taking either a weekend (preferred) or week long onsite nature landscape photo course someplace in California (in the SF Bay Area) to get a better eye and learn what other tidbits I can use to make myself a better nature photographer. Any suggestions?

W

Wandering Sagebrush

I find a lot of information via interest groups on Flickr. They can be camera and/or lens specific, as well as subject, location and style. Occasionally you run into a troll or an 'expert', but most folks are pretty helpful.

Here's a link to my stream...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_parsons/

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Your eye is good, but your lens seems to be disappointing you a bit. What are you using?

W

Wandering Sagebrush

hello sage
after looking at flickr,believe you could give classes
nice work
kp

Thank you for the kind words. It's a bit of an addiction. As one of my friends accuses me... I spent my money on cameras, lenses and women, and I wasted the rest.

I am a firm believer in getting out and shooting a lot. The digital revolution has speeded up the learning process with the ability to chimp images, and review histograms in the field. I also use the internet to research techniques. For example, Google 'long lens technique' to learn effective ways to get crisp images with the big glass. Guys like Moose Peterson and Thom Hogan share a lot of sound methodology.

I also recommend becoming VERY proficient with what ever photo editing application you use. Right now, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom are the bargains out there. The Photoshop creative suite is now on the cloud, and has a monthly fee. There is true magic in post processing. Ansel Adams, while a genius with a camera, was a prodigy in his darkroom. That's how you convey what your eyes saw.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Your eye is good, but your lens seems to be disappointing you a bit. What are you using?
Sorry, missed your reply. I'm using a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 non-OS lens on a Nikon D300. Actually it's more likely me as this pics are in the wild, not in a studio so the Wind really does impact the image dramatically especially when the subject is typically under 1cm in size. In these pics the butterfly was the largest insect. the rest were all under 1cm and with even the slightest breeze, my camera has a hard time freezing the action. Maybe I should upgrade to a body that has better high ISO performance so I can boost the ISO to shoot at faster shutter speeds.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
A used D700 might be worth a look - they have fantastic high ISO performance, but before you invest I'd suggest renting some camera and lens combinations from places like lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com. I use lensrentals.com since they are close. I expect you will find that you get the greatest improvement on image quality with better lenses.

I have shot with D700 and now have a D800E and a D3s. I use the D3s mainly for wildlife and high ISO. Of course, going from a D300 to a FF camera will lose you the 1.5x crop factor, but the image quality will likely allow you to crop yourself to the same effect.

I also highly recommend Lightroom and the Google/Nik bundle for your photo cataloging and editing.

seeNik48

Adventurer
I would have cropped the first one to portrait orientation to lose the board as to competes for the viewer's attention.

gm13

Adventurer
I was out photographing Snowy Owls this past weekend with a 70 -200f4L when a guy shows up with a 400f2.8L +teleconverter, (his 800/5.6L was back at Canon). That's what I needed to improve my nature photography. Just have to find the disposable $11,000 for the lens.... Point being as you probably know, It's definitely not just the gear that makes the shot but a good lens with looong reach is a vast improvement in this arena. Now macro, that's a more affordable story...and I like what you've done with it.

BretEdge

Adventurer
I hope it's okay to promote my own workshops in response to your question. I lead private photography workshops in Moab by the half or full-day and I'm leading a 3 day group workshop, also in Moab, October 9-12, 2014. At the group workshop we'll spend considerable time in the field working on technique and encouraging creativity, and we'll spend two full afternoons in a classroom helping our participants develop an efficient digital darkroom workflow using Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop as well as the Nik Software plug-ins.

Here are links to more information about my private and group workshops:

Private Photography Workshops in Moab

Autumn in Canyon Country Group Photography Workshop

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I hope it's okay to promote my own workshops in response to your question. I lead private photography workshops in Moab by the half or full-day and I'm leading a 3 day group workshop, also in Moab, October 9-12, 2014. At the group workshop we'll spend considerable time in the field working on technique and encouraging creativity, and we'll spend two full afternoons in a classroom helping our participants develop an efficient digital darkroom workflow using Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop as well as the Nik Software plug-ins.
Here are links to more information about my private and group workshops:

Private Photography Workshops in Moab

Autumn in Canyon Country Group Photography Workshop

Your workshops look like they would be a great time! I checked out your portfolio and you have some incredible work, thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94