Trailer

Grouseman

Adventurer
Well there is no trailer catergory on this site. So here goes. Where do you have your extra gas tanks stored on your expedition trailer? I have seen some on the tongue of the trailer, next to the box. Also I've seen them military style with the gas can holders attached to the trailer box in front of the fenders on the side of the trailer box. Where is the better position and why? My trailer will be the first of the week and need to start modification promptly.

Thanks for your advice.
SS

IggyB

Adventurer
I keep the Scepter gas and water cans inside the trailer. Just line them up in a row.

flywgn

Explorer
SS,

On the Conquerer model we had the "Jerry" cans and were mounted on swing-aways (which were also access doors to the cargo compartment) just forward of the fender skirts. I may have a photo buried somewhere, but I don't think I can find it quickly. I think their newer models have the cans mounted on the forward compartment.

Scott Brady

Founder
I would prefer to mount the fuel on the draw bar, both to weight the tongue and to provide better overall dampening (as the drawbar is partially suspended by the vehicle too). It also protects the fuel cans in the event of a roll.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Fuel, as a general rule, whether it's gasoline or diesel, stove gas, or propane, goes *outside* of the rig, and in many countries, there's no other legal way of transporting it.

When I designed my trailer I applied this principle and opted to mount two 5 gallon NATO-style jerry cans, one on each side of the tub. Early in my experiment I had a jerry can mounted on the back of the trailer, but I hit it a couple of times on tight trails, and never liked the weight balance. To better protect the cans in case of a tip-over, I added custom reinforced fenders that can take the weight of the entire trailer without crunching.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Here ya go!

Attachments

• JeffSmestuenHorizon.jpg
    869.4 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010013.JPG
    P1010013.JPG
    717.7 KB · Views: 201
  • MD Demo Fargo RS open.JPG
    MD Demo Fargo RS open.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 316
  • Shorti in phx RS.JPG
    Shorti in phx RS.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Here's some...

Also I am working on a review for the equipment section that will be up in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0801.JPG
    IMG_0801.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 113

Steve Curren

Explorer
Every time I see one of the Chasers I start to drool, I am eagerly waiting to hear that mine is done. I have liked the traliers from the first time I saw them and I am ready to load it up and get it dirty. I have been camping a bit and I am now going to be able to do it in comfort and have everything I want, a place to rest and the Jeep to explore in. :victory:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I know this is unrealistic for what we do.....but it's fun to look and dream! How about for Africa?!!

A Unimog......with a matching Unimog Trailer!

I thought of doing this for my self in a smaller version......using a matching (my 4runner) Rear Bed with axle. Take the gears out. Use matching wheels/tires....and paint!.....and maybe some kind of a flip bed topper. Have extra storage up on the tongue (is that what you call it?) for gas/water/repair supplies/recovery supplies....etc.

I think it would really be Kewl to match my same truck bed.

So who can help me find that.....and weld it up>?!!!;)

http://www.unimog-forever.com/Forever-404/Camping/eCamping.htm

stefanauto.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Steve Curren said:
Every time I see one of the Chasers I start to drool, I am eagerly waiting to hear that mine is done. I have liked the traliers from the first time I saw them and I am ready to load it up and get it dirty. I have been camping a bit and I am now going to be able to do it in comfort and have everything I want, a place to rest and the Jeep to explore in. :victory:

You are a lucky d00d ;)

Steve Curren

Explorer
I like to think so, I gave up a Zo6 Vette so I could get the trailer into the garage and now I am 100% off road and loving it.:jump:
Also thanks for the info on the HTs, I will have to decide which is best. I use the family radio right now when I go out with the people I go with. I guess maybe a trip to HRO in Phoenix is the best for me and the mounting questions.
Steve

Doin_It

Adventurer
If you really want a Unimog, then here is one for you. I can't find a price for the truck, but I think I read that Unicat built the trailer, so right there you know you'll have to sell the house, and dog, and give the wife away to afford it.

http://www.maximog.com/

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Steve:

Mario posted some pictures of his extremely nice trailers. If I was doing the trailer deal over again, I would buy one of his...

On mine, I have 4 Blitz cans mounted on the sides of the trailer two in front, and two in back of the fenders. This balances the weight over the axle. I have adequate tongue weight with the tongue box, batteries and spare tire on the tongue. The can holders I use were designed by my fabricator and are simple, but strong and reliable - in many thousands of miles I have not had one come loose the load or rattle.

These are basically a screw driven clamp that hold the can in position and is bolted through the sid eof the trailer with stainless bolts. The trailer is a bit dusty and raod grimed, but your can see the details. Simple and bullet proof...

351138.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles