Quick question... FWC Hawk

CYRUS888

Observer
I have a quick question regarding the FWC Hawk.

I currently have a '08 F350 crew cab short bed and planning on purchasing a Hawk camper for it. I'm wondering if the Hawk camper sticks pass the bed of a short box F350? The reason why I ask is because I'm planning on getting a tire gate to carry my spare tire http://www.tiregate.com/vt-series/ I'm just wondering if this combo would work. Has anyone tried it before and got some pics to share

Thanks in advance

rotti

Adventurer
Probably won't work. FWC designs their campers so that you can't close the tailgate....safety considerations.
Camper sticks out 2 to 3 inches past the bed on mine.
2012 Chevy 2500, 2012 Hawk:

1JYPbnf.jpg

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Find a local fabricator after you install the camper. Anyone who is experienced in metal work ought to be able to build one for less, setup how ever you like.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I've got my tailgate and am glad I do. Some complain about getting into and out of the camper with it on still. No biggie. Still waiting for a friend to hand over his tiregate to use on my truck.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
It might (might?) work on the F-350.

The big Ford trucks have the longest truck bed on the market for the short bed / regular bed trucks.

The Hawk Model is 80" long, plus add maybe 2" extra for the rubber bumpers we put on the front of the camper.

The front rubber bumpers might be able to be cut down just a little (an inch or so), if you really needed the extra room.

Here are some Hawk Model pictures that might help visually.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:)

Attachments

• F-250  4Door with Hawk.jpg
    F-250 4Door with Hawk.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Ford F-250 Corner.JPG
    Ford F-250 Corner.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Ford F-250 with Hawk Model #44.jpg
    Ford F-250 with Hawk Model #44.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 52

CYRUS888

Observer
It might (might?) work on the F-350.

The big Ford trucks have the longest truck bed on the market for the short bed / regular bed trucks.

The Hawk Model is 80" long, plus add maybe 2" extra for the rubber bumpers we put on the front of the camper.

The front rubber bumpers might be able to be cut down just a little (an inch or so), if you really needed the extra room.

Here are some Hawk Model pictures that might help visually.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:)

Thanks for the info Stan.
According to the F350 specs, the bed length is 81.8" so that only gives me 1.8" of play and unfortunately I can't find a clear picture where tire gate mounts if it goes pass inwards towards the bed area.
These are the best pics I can find on the F350 http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1106-4wd-the-tiregate-vt-series-spare-tire-carrier/
Would the factory gate of the F350 still close with the Hawk camper? Maybe that would be a good judgement weather a tire gate would work with that combo... No?
Do you have a closer pic of that slate grey F350?

Take a look at the Aluminess, CBI Offroad, and Runel swing away rear bumpers (there are others too). These bumpers may stick out far enough to work.

http://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-trucks-2008-2010/rear-bumper/

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/category/custom-projects

http://www.reunel.com/products.html

The reason why I'm looking into a tire gate instead of a whole bumper is because I already have an aftermarket bumper. I have a Smitty Built M1 bumper. Not exactly my first choice of bumper but I got it dirt cheap from our local offroad shop that had it on sale.
I love the aluminess bumper but damn that price tag is insane!!! I'd rather use the money towards the purchase of my FWC. I wonder if I could just modify my smitty built bumper and put a tire carrier on it. I'm just worried if the material they used on the SB bumper is not thick enough to handle a tire carrier especially a 40" tire

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Maybe you should look at Hitch Gate series, which fits in the receiver, from the same company. you keep your tailgate and have the rear tire carrier.
just FYI

I have a quick question regarding the FWC Hawk.

I currently have a '08 F350 crew cab short bed and planning on purchasing a Hawk camper for it. I'm wondering if the Hawk camper sticks pass the bed of a short box F350? The reason why I ask is because I'm planning on getting a tire gate to carry my spare tire http://www.tiregate.com/vt-series/ I'm just wondering if this combo would work. Has anyone tried it before and got some pics to share

Thanks in advance

CYRUS888

Observer
Maybe you should look at Hitch Gate series, which fits in the receiver, from the same company. you keep your tailgate and have the rear tire carrier.
just FYI

I did check it out and according to their site its designed for a 35" tire. I have 40s on my truck

SLO_F-250

Explorer
I looked at the tire gate as well. I have an older 90 Hawk and it is shorter than the new ones. My Tailgate stays on the truck. It would have worked, but I would not have been able to take the camper off without removing the whole system plus I would have not added much storage. I debated the Hitchgate Series as well but opted out too.

I suggest getting a local fabricator to build you one to your specs. You'll end up liking it better over time. I built mine. Didn't think I needed the spare tire and opted for storage instead. Good Luck!

CYRUS888

Observer
I looked at the tire gate as well. I have an older 90 Hawk and it is shorter than the new ones. My Tailgate stays on the truck. It would have worked, but I would not have been able to take the camper off without removing the whole system plus I would have not added much storage. I debated the Hitchgate Series as well but opted out too.

I suggest getting a local fabricator to build you one to your specs. You'll end up liking it better over time. I built mine. Didn't think I needed the spare tire and opted for storage instead. Good Luck!

Thanks for the feed back.
How much shorter is your FWC compared to the newer Hawk? By the looks on the picture, you even have the trucks tail gate on.
Im starting to think modifying my existing bumper seems like a better option

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Sorry for the delayed response. I think the older Hawks are 6-8" shorter. I have about a 2-1/2" gap from tailgate to camper. Modifying the bumper would be a good route I think. :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior