DRD4-7R, a Finnish adventure truck project -blog

julius0377

Adventurer
The minimum twist of the chassis is at the back axle.

I would expect this to be correct for almost all trucks (where the main weight is on the rear axle). However where weight is evenly distributed between the front and rear, I would expect somewhere close to the centre point on the frame to have the least amount of rotary motion, and the highest stability for a box?

My common sense may be miles off though...

Ullie

Adventurer
With most vehicles, the chassis is fixed to the back axle(s) by leafsprings. This creates a point of minimal twist. In the front you often have independ suspension most of the time, which alows twist of the chassis. Mercedes has building guidelines for al it's vehicles that you can download from their internetsite. Their you can find the necessary information.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Heering,
The layout looks to also be putting a lot of the load in a very small point on the rear of the chassis. I may be fine, but there have been a number of cases of chassis fatigue and cracking due to 3 point mounts concentrating the load just at the front and back.

As Ullie mentions - the Mercedes site give very detail documentation on how to mount stuff on their trucks. Well worth a read. Worst case is it may need some additional bracing.

Best of luck with the build and do keep this blog updated.

Ian

Heering80

If any of you would have a link to english version of construction guidelines for a -85 1222 I would appreciate a hint. I can only find a German version..

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
vario.jpg

Here are the contact details from the Vario manual. There are probably not the right guys, but they were helpful when I spoke with them and they may be able to either locate the document or point you in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior