The White Wolf - Patrol 2.8TD Y60

JorJ

Observer
In the winching photo of you in a crevasse between the hillsides, did you slide down in there or purposefully get in there? Looks like beautiful country to wheel in.
That crevasse became tiny and tall. First thought was to climb it, but I didn't have a good position for winch, so I quit. If I would have climbed on wheels, for sure I'll broke the lights and damage the body. Execept that, even if I pass, the others cars...

Nice photos! You perform good work. I was in Romania Dec 2013. Should have brought another liver.....
Nice :) It started to snow a few weeks ago.

skibum315

Explorer
Man, your updates are always a pleasant addition to lunchtime web-browsing ... thanks for posting, I especially enjoyed the second video. I know you get it a bunch from those of us here in the US, but I really wish we had gotten the Y60 & 61 Patrols over here ... I think I'll probably always lust after one with a TD42t, just a little bit. But the thought of owning a vehicle like that (even when they do become available for importation), which would be hard to source parts and local expertise for, is just a bit daunting ... maybe if I had bottomless pockets and the time to become my own expert. :rolleyes:

JorJ

Observer
I really wish we had gotten the Y60 & 61 Patrols over here ...
You know what is the funny part?

Here, the little boys prefer Suzuki Samurai, Vitara or Jimny. It's cheap, an easy car, cheap taxes, and most important cheap parts. No need more conversions, sometimes a good tires are enough.
My Jimny, AT tires, no conversion on mud climbing. I did it hard, but from one shot:

offroad-poiana-sarata-luciada3-02.jpg

offroad-poiana-sarata-luciada3-03.jpg

The regular boys prefer Nissan Patrol, others Toyoa Landcruiser or Mitsubishi Pajero, all under 2000, regulary '90 - '96. The only one real reputation about Patrol is that is indestructible, a very heavy duty factory car, and to put it down on kneels, you have to be yourself an animal. Patrol it's also a cheap with cheap parts, especially Y60, and is pure mechanical. Yes, 4.2TD is brute power, but is hard to find a left hand drive and have expensive taxes.

And the big boys prefer Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, especially a new one (here a new Rubicon has an astronomical price, big taxes and expensive parts) and few of them Mercedes G.

:) I like Rubicon too, but I keep my Patrol.

Last edited:

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Amazing updates! Really love the action you make :)

About left hand drive, here are all LHD in Arabia. I think some parts of Germany are LHD too, so someone might consider importing from there for a ready-set with the TD42. Even Japan has some LHD's too and named as Nissan Safari instead.

JorJ

Observer
If you don't have money for car wash, you have to find a solution:

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-01.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-03.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-04.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-06.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-10.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-11.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-13.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-15.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-16.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-17.jpg

Action in slow motion:

Then... a little bit relax :)

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-19.jpg

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-21.jpg

Between friends :)

off-road-la-baltile-din-vames-22.jpg

Full resolution on WILDSTATE.

sweety

Observer

Are the sub boxes just held up with that tubing which looks like PVC ? The reason I ask is I would be very worried about the boxes coming loose or the tubing breaking if it's PVC off road & getting hit in the head with something that heavy would not be nice. Nice motor BTW

JorJ

Observer
Are the sub boxes just held up with that tubing which looks like PVC ? The reason I ask is I would be very worried about the boxes coming loose or the tubing breaking if it's PVC off road & getting hit in the head with something that heavy would not be nice. Nice motor BTW
Yes, it is PVC. After a lot of testing to strengthen the inside PVC structure, I choose wood, more exactly tails shovel. In that case there is no braking because that are from one piece and hardly fixed in PVC after heating it. The structure is fixed with screws in 12 points of the car body. Otherwisethe structure sustain only 6 kg (boxes)

No wonder you don't have money for a wash, you spent all of it on a Patrol and camera gear! :D
LoL. Not far from the truth.

Nice Patrol! But props to your photographer, they got skills.
90% of time, driver and photographer of the Patrol is the same person. Me. Of course, not both at the same time, for the rest of 10% exist friends.

iarna-extrema-la-corbu-04.jpg

Here are the pics: http://wildstate.ro/2012/02/03/eight-below/

toamna-pe-plaja-vadu-22.jpg

Here are the pics: http://wildstate.ro/2010/11/14/toamna-tarzie-pe-grindu-chituc/

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
:drool: Oh WOW... That is GORGEOUS (and one of the Patrol Models I actually really love the looks of) and the level of detail you've put into it is just plain amazing. That is just beautifuly done and your photography only adds to the "wow factor". That is one Patrol I'd be SUPER proud to drive (as I'm sure you are) and I'm just blown away by how in-depth and well designed your build is mate. Much respect to a job more then "well done" aye.

I'd love to see more of Romania and your explorations and I look forward to exploring your Photo-Blog cause you do some fine work with the camera. Sadly growing up when I did (35 now), the US Public Schools "educational" mantra seemed to still be aimed at painting E.Europe/W.Asia/Russia/Etc. as a perpetual "post WWII wasteland" full of nothing but "crime and poverty" when it looks to be full of some beautiful terrain/country/people and a place I REALLY want to see with my own eyes. I met some Polish guys riding DH bikes in Whistler a few years back and became fast friends and have stayed in touch/had them stay with us. The pictures they showed me of some of their forests/Rivers/Rock/Trails/historical sites/etc. in Poland alone have convinced me I need to get over to E.Europe to explore sooner then later... Thanks for sharing and keep up the awesome work.

Cheers

Dave

JorJ

Observer
Hi Dave,
I'm glad you like it.
This is Dobrogea... a place for me like home.
This pics are from yesterday...

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-01.jpg

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-02.jpg

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-03.jpg

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-04.jpg

Timelapse #1:

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-05.jpg

Timelapse #2:

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-06.jpg

Sunset...

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-07.jpg

Sunrise...

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-08.jpg

Going home. Tired, but happy :)

prin-tufisuri-in-dobrogea-09.jpg

Stroy and full photo resolution on WILDSTATE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94